GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Food & Nutrition > Fantastic Feeding Guide -- Need help finding it!
Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:50am PST 
Of course I found it right after I posted this... Here's the link to anyone who is interested:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518898
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 14 10:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Fantastic Feeding Guide -- Need help finding it!
Mandi

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:44am PST 
There is an AWESOME feeding guide thread that a Dogster member posted once upon a time that I would really like to find. It had a breakdown of why some foods are good, others bad, the importance of canine nutrition, avoiding fillers, etc. I saw it over a year ago and thought I bookmarked it. But, alas, I can't find it just when I wanted to send it to a client. shrug It had a ton of hits and everyone seemed to love it, so I am REALLY hoping someone else has an idea of where to find it, or can send me a link? Pleaseeeeeeeeee! snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 14 10:50 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Large breed for SD work

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 5:21pm PST 
Lilith, I'll talk to the friend who owns the specific Dane I am thinking of and see if she would be willing to get in touch with you. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 2:36 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Has anyone heard of DOGWISH INC. service dogs?

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 4:59pm PST 
I've followed his page on FB for awhile now. From what I've seen, I'd run in the opposite direction. Many of the reasons are listed above.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 6:13 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Id tag question.

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 4:09pm PST 
Mandi's says she is a SD, as will my new dog's.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 2:29 pm

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 3:48pm PST 
It's important to note that the lifespan of large breeds is heavily dependent upon their diet and exercise. If you feed them really good stuff, they live MUCH longer. I've known many Danes that are 15 or older and still going strong. Same with other giant breeds. What they eat and how much exercise they get is key.

Also, from your description, what you are seeing in the GSDs is likely not anxiety, but rather excitement. They are high drive dogs who LOVE to do their job. They will do anything to get a task done and get the reward at the end, and are generally quivering with excitement and anticipation at their handlers next command. These are the high drive working dogs used by the military and police forces. You can find other dogs who are not bred to have as high of a drive, which will eliminate that behavior. You can also train them not to vocalize.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 2:36 pm

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 3:33pm PST 
Scooter, I know someone who exclusively trains Canes for SD work and has great success with them. I'd disagree that they are poor choices. ANY SD needs tons of socialization. High drive dogs (GSDs, mals, dobermans, labs, GSPs, many hounds, etc) need more work learning to focus on the handler. It doesn't make them bad dogs. In fact, that trait can be useful if you know how to turn it to your advantage. They LOVE to work. It just depends on what you need and want, and how experienced of a trainer you are. I wouldn't want a Cane personally, but I would never suggest that they can't be suitable for the SD lifestyle.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 2:36 pm

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 11:35am PST 
There's a few giant breeds that would be great. Newfies (though I saw you turned those down), Danes, St Bernards, large labs, Leonbergers, Cane Corsos or anything mastiffy really, Borzoi, Irish Wolfhound, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 2:36 pm

Dogster Railroad > TRANSPORT NEEDED - rescue dog from Kansas City to Washington DC

Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 11:13am PST 
I am adopting a black lab from a shelter in Cameron, MO (near Kansas City), and need to arrange transport to VA or PA. I live near Washington DC, and can drive within a few hours of that area. The dog is very well mannered, 10mo, 70ish lbs (they don't have a current weight), and will become a service dog in training for me. Is anyone coming in my direction from Missouri?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 11:13 am

Dogs & Travel > TRANSPORT NEEDED - rescuing dog from near Kansas City, travel close to Washington DC
Mandi

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 11:11am PST 
I am adopting a black lab from a shelter in Cameron, MO (near Kansas City), and need to arrange transport to VA or PA. I live near Washington DC, and can drive within a few hours of that area. The dog is very well mannered, 10mo, 70ish lbs (they don't have a current weight), and will become a service dog in training for me. Is anyone coming in my direction from Missouri?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 11:11 am

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.