GO!

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > NEED HELP on carpet destroying and Digging
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:57am PST 
I have been told that with digging breeds like ours, you have two options. One is to never let the habit begin. The second is to give them their own dig spot. There is typically no inbetween.

I've noticed that huskies tend to dig either because they sense a critter underground that needs to be killed, or because there is a weakness in the ground. If you are diligent about keeping every inch of soil or sand covered with grass/mulch/pine straw then that might help.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 6:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Fear or excited?
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 4:46pm PST 
It might be prey drive. Glacier is fine around my cousins and nephew, but put them on a ride on toy and he flits around and darts in and nips them.

I would start leaving the Jeep out when he's out (like all the time), let him get totally comfortable with seeing it out. Have someone else hold him and get a can of EZ cheese or similar product. Lure him with the cheese and get him really into it, then press the pedal on the Jeep and let it move a bit. Try to hold his attention away from the Jeep. If he can only ignore it for a second, go with that, and then gradually increase the amount of time he'll tolerate until the kids can ride on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 21 6:14 pm

Behavior & Training > German shepherds and bunnies?

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 11:02am PST 
Glacier is of the same mindset as Fritz. big grin Mmm bunny stew.

Based on the info you gave us, I think your dogs could probably be taught to coexist safely in the house with the rabbit under close supervision. But having a free range house bunny? Probably not a good idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 5:00 pm

Food & Nutrition > Checkups or Kirkland brand dental chews? Which is better?

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 4:56pm PST 
My boys loved both, I personally preferred the Costco brand. Though they were only a nice treat, I don't think they did diddly squat for their dental health.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Aug 27 10:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Training to Pull

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 8:58pm PST 
Before you even introduce a harness, get him 100% with loose leash walking on a collar/gentle leader/whatever you choose. Then you can introduce a harness. Most dogs instinctively realize that they should pull like crazy in a harness, it's just the way it's made. It will be much harder to teach him to LLW than it will be to teach him to pull in harness.

Also, with our boys we taught them speed and directional commands on walks before we ever even put a harness on them. Work on left, right, straight, back, slow, fast, etc just on your regular walks to spice things up. This will help you greatly when he's old enough to pull. You should not encourage him to truly pull you until he's completely done growing around 18 months or so, otherwise it can damage his joints. If you run him regularly, make sure to give him a joint supplement and allow him to run on softer surfaces like grass or dirt, not concrete or pavement.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 7:10 am

Behavior & Training > Harness for jogging
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 8:51pm PST 
Agree with Cooter that a true x-back pulling harness would not be a good option. Instead, try to find a harness that has the wide cloth front. Some that I've used are Kurgo, Ezy Dog, and Kong. Good luck! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 2 5:10 pm

Dog Health > Huskies in a tropical country

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 3:32am PST 
We live in a southern coastal climate somewhat similar to yours and my boys do fine. Take Zoe for her walks very early in the morning or late at night, and during the heat of the day give her a small basin or child's pool to lie in, she'll love it! Keeping her brushed really well will help lighten her fur a ton, and even though you did not mention it, do not ever shave her, it will damage her fur and ruin he natural insulation. Keep her in the air conditioning as much as possible, or give her lots of shade. Huskies generally do fine if they have cold water to drink and a nice shady area where they can dig a cool hold to lie in.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 6:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Small Dogs in the Large Dog area of the Park.... I don't get it???

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 1:06pm PST 
Personally? Tanuk would be fine mingling with the littles and I wouldn't care if someone brought theirs over, he's actually much more comfortable on the little side, so we usually hang there. Glacier on the other hand, CANNOT be with littles. He WILL kill them, and he will do it quickly and purposefully. He doesn't care if it is a dog, it's little and fuzzy and therefore needs to die. Whenever a little comes into our side, I immediately leash him up and give the owner a strong warning.
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 11:43 pm

Behavior & Training > New dog doesn't seem to be settling in - I'm desperate for advice!

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 12:37pm PST 
Sounds like a husky...
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 24 8:09 am

Food & Nutrition > Vita Gravy
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 12:27pm PST 
We put it in the Kongs from time to time, it doesn't seem like an awful treat. However, it should be considered a treat and given in moderation. There was a dog we kept who had it mixed with every meal and it gave him really loose stools.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 23 7:44 pm

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.