GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Analee is getting sassy, what do I do?
Annalee

How could they- leave me in a- snowbank?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:31am PST 
To answer the question a couple people asked (and I should have said this up front), Annalee is spayed.

There has never been an "incident" that would cause her to suddenly not like the basement. My Mancave doubles as an art studio, finished basement, warm and cozy, Annalee enjoys sleeping on the couch down here, she has toys and a water dish and all the same comforts of being upstairs. For 2 years she's happily followed me down here to hang out with me.

When she isn't down here with me, she hangs out on our bed in the master bedroom upstairs, or with my wife in her office upstairs.

This inquiry wasn't so much me asking "Should my dog have to follow me when I tell her to".
I was asking "When my dog displays her fangs and growls at me for attempting to put her lead on her, how do I respond."

Thanks again for the responses.

Dogster is the best dog site!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 6:17 am

Annalee

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 6:03am PST 
Thanks again for the responses, certainly gives me more to consider.
So far we haven't run into this issue again since I posted this question, keeping my fingers crossed.

My wife took her to the vet for a visit, and there was nothing evident to the vet that was physically wrong. (Other than a little dry skin, which she said a little more soft food and fish oil capsules for, but I'm pretty sure this is totally unrelated.)

The vet suggested it may have just been a bit of crankiness and likely nothing to worry over. She suggested it was possible that it's just a "teenager thing" too, Annalee is growing up. I guess I have grown so accustomed to her following me unquestioningly as a puppy, and this was a bit of a reality check.

In the event that I have an incident like this again, what is the appropriate response to this sort of growling/teeth baring? If there is no reprimand, does a dog begin to feel like "You're not the boss of me" and a trend can grow from it? Do I meet her display of aggression with kindness, or am I showing my weakness as the pack leader in that way? Do I take a stern tone, or is a a soft and pleasant response more appropriate?

Thanks again, Dogster friends.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 6:17 am

Annalee

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 4:37am PST 
Thanks for the response.

She hasn't been in to see the vet in several months, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just have a check up. I'll have my wife set up an appointment just to be sure there isn't something I'm missing.

To answer your one question, no, she doesn't go down to the basement on her own - apart from my workshop there's nothing down there but the cat's litter boxes and the laundry facilities, so it's always been off limits to her except when I ask her to follow me down there. It's never been any issue before, for the past two years when I would say "Follow" and take her with me, she's always been happy to follow me downstairs to my workshop to hang out.

I know my intuition isn't "all knowing", but to me this new issue just seems like it's a matter of her wanting to exercise her choice to not come along. Like a new "contest of wills".

There have never been any bad experiences where something happens downstairs that would scare her or make her feel wary of going down there. It's always been our "private place" where she's seemed to enjoy hanging out with me, we play rope, she naps, she has a water bowl in my workshop, she gets treats, etc.

And no, I have *never* in any way been abusive to her. We've had a very friendly relationship, always.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I appreciate your advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 6:17 am

Annalee

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:06pm PST 
Hello Dogster friends.

I first joined this site about 2 years ago, after getting my rescue pup, Annalee.

The past two years have been great, and she's been a real pal and a very happy dog in our home, where she is the only dog, and she politely gets along well with our 3 cats.

She's always been very obedient, when I say FOLLOW, she follows, when I say SIT, she sits, LAY DOWN, she lays down. She has always followed me around the house "like a puppy", I often have her follow me down to my basement workshop/mancave where she has a nice bed and usually naps while I work on projects.

In just recent weeks, she's gotten an attitude. Sort of a "mind of her own", very suddenly. When I tell her to FOLLOW, and go downstairs, she's begun to turn around half way down and run back up to my wife's office or to our bedroom where she often sleeps when I'm not home. I go back to her, urge her to follow me, offer her a treat to follow me and give it to her when we get downstairs to my workshop. Her refusal to follow me on demand recently has gotten worse. Some times I've had to go get her leash and clip it on her and coax her to follow me downstairs on the lead.

Today, we had an unsettling conflict.
When she refused to follow me downstairs, she went to the bedroom and laid down on the bed. I got her leash and took it to clip it on her, and for the first time ever, she growled at me and showed her teeth, as if she were saying "I will NOT let you lead me downstairs!" She was very hostile, and I had to try to calm her down and clip her lead to her collar and then coaxed her to follow me and rewarded her with a treat when we got downstairs.

At the age of two, she's mostly mature, right? Is this some sort of rebel phase like my daughter went through when she became a teenager, trying to test her right to exercise her own free will, or something of that sort? Nothing has really changed at all, it seems like it's Annalee that's changing, her environment and family haven't changed at all.

Any advice would be appreciated. It really upset me to have her growl aggressively at me in this way. She's not a big dog, so I don't fear her at all (65 lb. mixed breed), but if she would act this way with me, I fear that she might act out like this against my wife of my daughter, if I can't figure out how to curb this new attitude.

Thank you in advance.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 6:17 am

Puppy Place > A healthy puppy that smells nice.

Annalee

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 4:05pm PST 
I appreciate all the input.

Unfortunately I'm back where I started on Google, with opinions varying from every couple of weeks up to a year or never, heheh.

I'll look into the wipes. I expect that I'll do baths every two or three weeks for a while and keep a close eye on her skin to see how it's working out.

I also looked up some conditioners that are supposed to replace some of the washed out smelly oils with some less offensive smelling oils. Maybe using less shampoo and more conditioner and just doing every three weeks or something won't cause any problems. I'll pay special attention to be sure she's not starting to get dry and itchy and if so we can try monthly baths and doggy cologne, hahah.

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:40 am

Annalee

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:13am PST 
A good healthy diet?
Currently she's been eating "Taste of the Wild" all meat dog food, supplemented with regular portions of meat (chicken and beef) that I give her when I cook dinner.

Is that likely to cause her to be smelly? Too much meat?
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:40 am

Annalee

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:11am PST 
Okay. My dog doesn't have any opportunities to go swimming, let alone the frequency you say your dogs do. I imagine swimming in clean water helps to reduce the doggy B.O., but that's not an option for me.

In order to not have to endure the doggy smell, what alternatives are there? Diluting the shampoo? Doggy deodorant?

Or are there other options in supplementing my dog's diet to compensate for the washing away of naturally produced oils in the skin and coat?

I just can't abide a smelly dog, and my wife is more adamant about that than I am. After a couple of weeks of running and playing and being her doggy self, she starts to smell "doggy"!

Other options you might suggest?
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:40 am

Annalee

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:07am PST 
Oh, one other bit of information!

Annalee is an indoor dog! She only goes out when we take her out.
She doesn't get *dirty*, but after a couple of weeks she gets a bit of a "doggy body odor" sort of thing that I'm sure is normal. =)
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:40 am

Annalee

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:03am PST 
Hello again Dogster pals.
Annalee and I are looking for a little information again regarding puppy health and BATHS.

Last night a friend of mine got all excited and concerned for Annalee's health because I told her that I had been giving my puppy a bath about every two weeks. She made the argument that it's not good for the puppy's coat and skin to bathe so frequently. Her dog, she said, only gets a bath about once a year. I was like ONCE A YEAR?!

I jumped on the Google machine and started searching, and I found a million people with a million opinions. Some advocating for more regular being fine if a good shampoo is used, others saying too much bathing is bad regardless.

I've been using a puppy formula Oatmeal shampoo infused with protein, or something to that effect, I don't have the brand name handy to give you.
Annalee doesn't mind being bathed at all. In the past two months that she's been in our home, I have bathed her 4 times, about every other week.

Thus far I haven't noticed any sort of "symptoms" that the naysayers cite, itching and dandruff and poor health in the coat etc. She has a lustrous shiny soft pelt, she's a short haired dog and it's easy to look at her skin, I don't see any adverse effects yet..

So, I'd really appreciate any realistic advice on this! Hopefully not a whole lot of differing opinions as I've found so far, but some sort of veterinary factual assessment of the issue with would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help, it's appreciated as always!
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:40 am

Puppy Place > Puppy habits, advice please?
Annalee

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 8:13am PST 
Okay - thanks for the information.
I'm guilty of NOT making our reunion low key.. I'm excited to see her being excited to see me, and tend to grab her paws and dance around with her. ;-)
I'll have to try to curb my exuberance and not help her get more excited than she already is.

I'm sure there is some sort of "separation anxiety" thing going on already, because my wife says when I leave she cries and paces around looking out the windows when I leave for work - then when evening falls and she knows I should be home soon she begins checking the windows and whining again.
Is this unhealthy? Is it something that will become problematic, or again, is it a puppy thing, and she's likely to grow out of it?

Thanks again, friends.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 29 8:13 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.