GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help me help this dog please(I need tips!)
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 4:35pm PST 
That's awesome Yoshi!
Hiccup, I wish upon wish that there was some place to lure this dog into. When I say this campus is in the middle of nowhere, I mean there is literally miles of just open grassy land around it. The campus itself is still quite new and there is also a lot of stuff under construction still, making following it quite difficult (and the sport of choice is currently soccer!). Not to mention that the campus itself is huge, but it tends to stay near the edges of campus. We haven't spotted it for a few days (also, weekend), but we are going to start putting out a small pile of kibble in one location every day in hopes that we will at least start seeing it on a regular basis. If we have that then I feel like I will be able to get him/her, whether that means little kids, traps, or nets.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 10:37am PST 
Rescues around here, are, well, they do good things for their animals, but they are not much help. We are kind of in the middle of nowhere to boot, so it's hard. The culture here is so different than back home, I see stray dogs everywhere, people just keep their dogs in the backyard, etc. It really is just about getting the little bugger close enough for me to catch. I have caught many a dog before, often with my belt if I don't have a leash on hand (but I do for this since I am going in prepared, yay!). Animal control, university police, and many students have tried to catch this dog, but I feel like they aren't really trying (and for the students, what would they even do with it?). I am getting a trap delivered on Friday or Saturday, but I am not sure how much help it would be. See, I can't just go and set up traps on university property, and I also am not going to leave a borrowed $60+ trap just out, so I would have to sit and watch it for a few hours while there, and I just don't know if the dog would even go in it. But I will try, as it is a good back-up option.
Maybe I could lure it with peanutbutter on a stick? I told my boyfriend that we should start just regularly feeding it at a certain spot so we could at least find it and maybe build its confidence. I know that time is the enemy, especially with winter coming.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 5:51pm PST 
At a local college campus there is a small dog that has been running loose for a few weeks to a few months. We have a lot of wildlife around here, I don't know how it has survived so long. Anyways, I'm currently unemployed and thus have time to kill trying to catch this dog. It lets people feed it, does not like other dogs (I tried that today and it bolted), and otherwise doesn't let people get too close. I feel like I could catch it if it would take food from me, as I have done so with skittish dogs many times before. Any tips on what I should offer? I brought a can of wet dog food, but it wouldn't get close enough to even smell it, though I also think it was in pure run mode at that point because it was so afraid of Daisy (no, I obviously won't be taking her back with me) and all the other people chasing it. If I hadn't lost it, I think I would have made progress during the down time between classes when all the well intentioned but overbearing people are inside. I would really like to get this dog off the streets and into a home, and can easily foster it if I catch it. It's just a matter of getting it into safe arms.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question on Fasting a Small Dog

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:25pm PST 
Yes, when Daisy was little she got hypoglycemic too and that was very scary. I have been feeding raw for about a year and a half now and never fast with my tiny dogs (I also don't have any big ones, haha). Despite their meals being raw, I still feed them at about the same time every day, and they are otherwise treated the same as if they were on any other diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 1:15 pm

Dog Health > Harness rubbing, looking for alternatives!

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 7:10pm PST 
A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I took a day trip with the dogs. Daisy, being almost 8 now, sometimes gets sore feet, but I expect that and know that I will probably have to carry her before the day is done. Except this time, she needed to be carried much sooner. I checked her paws, and made sure her harness wasn't too tight, but she seemed OK. I chalked it up to old age, and carried her most of the day. About a week later, I was shaving her belly and I noticed a scab where the harness would sit. Obviously it is rubbing or something, causing her pain. Mind you, she only wears the harness for walks, which aren't as frequent as they should be. Now, she and all my other dogs wear hemp collars. I love them, they are super soft and durable. The harness is a nylon webbing, which I think had something to do with it. Long story short, I want to make her a new hemp harness out of some 5/8" hemp webbing I have. I already have the hardware, I am just unsure about the design.
Are there any advantages for a step-in style over the more traditional ones? The harness is simply to keep her near me. She doesn't pull or anything. I just want it to be as comfortable as possible and not cause her any more ouchies!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 17 3:08 pm

Raw Food Diet > Struggling to cut costs
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 3:43am PST 
I do add vitamins and such back in, as I am using the recipe on catinfo.org. Lots of fish oil, some taurine, and some other stuff. According to the vet there, it is nutritionally sound with the additions, but maybe that is wrong? Among the cat people I have talked to it is kind of the standard. Before though, I was able to add more beef and pork as we had this great local meat market in my former location. I think the biggest problem is storing it right now. We don't have a big freezer, and we also don't have the funds to get an extra one (though as soon as I get a job that is the first thing on our list!).

I am sure they would order me a whole case (once I have room to store it!), and my boyfriend talked to them, and apparently they do normally always have it, they just didn't order as much as normal last month. I do worry about the high iron in it though, and basically no zinc, which is a big reason to feed beef in the first place.

As for ethnic markets, I kid you not, we went to EVERY SINGLE ONE in town, and this is a mainly Hispanic town. I thought for sure before we moved here I would hit the jackpot, but it has so far been incredibly disappointing. I can get some kind of weird stuff, like whole cow feet, and lots of beef tongue (but geeze it is pricey!). If I did manage to find tongue for a cheap price, would that be an acceptable large quantity beef replacement? I used to do cheek meat, and that stuff was the complete bomb, super cheap and nice and chewy for the teeth, but I can't find any here. That, and it seems like any pork I find has been plumped. Otherwise, there is one more market we want to check out that is a town over. If that doesn't pan out, I will probably contact the wholesale meat company that is back in my hometown (about two hours away), but again, that is more of a "once we have storage" thing.

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips, I really appreciate them!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 8:08 am

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 11:50pm PST 
I have 3 dogs and a cat though. So yes, it would definitely be affordable for say, just the cat (and for litter box reasons, he is the one that absolutely will only ever eat raw for the rest of his life no matter what happens!). I am sure that once I find a job it won't matter as much, but right now I am trying to cut as much cost as I possibly can until that time. As mentioned before, I am kind of in the middle of nowhere, so finding a job is also proving difficult. Bleh. SaveMart has Pick 5 for $25 every once in a while, and as mentioned, I found beef heart (which I am considering a muscle, not organ) for quite cheap, I just need to call and figure out what days they stock it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 8:08 am

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 6:11pm PST 
The leg quarters are like 30% bone, and since I don't have another plentiful source of meat (boneless) to dilute it with, I have to get rid of some bone. It is a major pain though, and makes me dread making up a batch of food. frown I will look for a yahoo group, but I am pretty much in the middle of nowhere now. Thanks for responding at least!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 8:08 am

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:51pm PST 
I know that raw doesn't mean cheap, but that doesn't mean I couldn't use some help. smile
Right now I can buy a 10lb bag of chicken leg quarters for $8. Not too bad, but I have to debone the drumsticks, and that is quite time consuming, as well as wasteful. Not to mention my difficulty of trying to buy in larger bulk, or other meats. I can get beef heart for $1.19/lb, but it isn't always in stock. I just haven't been able to find someplace to buy in the bulk I want to, and the types of meat I want. Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 8:08 am

Raw Food Diet > Has anybody seen this blog about raw feeding?
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 11:25pm PST 
I like it! As for it being only a few dogs on one type of raw, give me a break. This is one person doing all this, not a company that can have X+ dogs. As it is, she doesn't even seem to be promoting Answers yet as (at least what I read) the trial isn't over yet. She is just being honest and reporting all her variables. I would be very curious to see where this goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 1:59 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.