GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Shiba Inu > Just adopted a Shiba
Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 10:50am PST 
Sounds like you got yourself a typical under-socialized shelter Shiba. Time, patience, and training will do wonders for him. I'd suggest reading the Shiba owners recommendations thread. As far as the blood in the stool, get a vet appointment and take in a fecal sample along with all his other medical paperwork. Food allergies and "itchies" in Shibas are very common - and actually seem to be more prevalent in creamies -- get him on a grain free diet and add some wild Alaskan salmon oil to his food once a week. Bathing with oatmeal shampoo will also help. This forum isn't all that active anymore, but if you are on FB do a search and you will find a number of Shiba groups that you can join with a ton of activity. Congrats & good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 10:30 pm

Shiba Inu > shiba Puppy biting, house breaking, and crate training ...HELP!
Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Oct 18, '13 7:39am PST 
I just bumped an old and very long --- but excellent --- thread for you any others needing help. Read it from the beginning and I'm sure you will find some excellent advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 7:39 am

Shiba Inu > Shiba Owners Recommendations

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Oct 18, '13 7:36am PST 
naughty BUMP
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 10:11 pm

Shiba Inu > Food Preferences (Help Needed)

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:42am PST 
The reason you cannot find the Avoderm is because one of the lines (lamb & rice) was recalled in September for Salmonella. The company chose not to ship any of their products to stores until they were certain none of the other products were contaminated. That being said, looking at the content of Avoderm, I might suggest that you try to go with a better quality of food - the formula you are using has very little meat and a lot of grain. Brands that are good (but not overly "fancy")include Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. I personally use the Wellness Core because it is grain free. I don't know price-wise how they compare with what you were using, but both are readily available at Petco & Petsmart.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 20 12:30 pm

Shiba Inu > Late Nights

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 12:47pm PST 
She might be sensing something outside.... hard to say. Have you always closed the door at night? If yes, the whining will probably pass on its own...best to ignore her unless you really feel she needs to potty. If no, there might be your problem and it will take her time to adjust to being inside at night. Personally, I would not allow my dog out in a fenced yard in the middle of the night unsupervised - especially if I knew Coyotes were in the area.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 12:47 pm

Shiba Inu > Is my Shiba too fluffy???
Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 12:38pm PST 
What you appear to have is a Shiba with a "wooley" - or long haired - coat. They are rather unusual, but they do appear from time to time in pure lines. I'm not well versed enough in genetics to explain what causes the long coat, but I do know there are members over at the Shiba Inu Forum website that have Shibas with wooley coats that might be able to answer your question better.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 12 9:55 am

Shiba Inu > Bringing home my first Shiba...

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:46pm PST 
Hi Bamboo, welcome to the Forum. I've bumped an excellent thread for you to read thru, if you have not already, entitled "Shiba Owners Recommendations". It is an excellent resource. The book Saya recommended is excellent as well. To answer your specific questions:

1. You really should have both an x-pen and a crate. Midwest Life Stages makes an excellent crate that has a movable divider to make the crate bigger as the puppy grows. I use the 24 x 30 for an adult dog.
2. Training should begin shortly after the puppy has come home and has adjusted to his new surroundings. Keep training sessions very short and fun, though, and don't expect him to "get" everything right away. Use positive reinforcement only and make it fun - like a game - and always end on a positive note.
3. Toys -- get the strongest most indestructable toys you can afford. Anything else will be shredded (and possible swallowed) in no time - like minutes. Stay away from anything with buttons, dangling strings, soft stuffing that puppy can ingest. If a toy becomes shredded dispose of it immediately. Kongs are good. Rope toys are good. You need to focus on chewing toys -- as your little Shiba has teeth like pihranna and he will use them on you and everything else if you don't give him something appropriate to chew on.
4. You will have far more important things to worry about than a brush at this point, but later you will need a good slicker brush.
5. Since I don't know what you've already purchased, I can't be of too much help without listing tons of things you may already have. You will definitely need natures miracle until the pup is potty trained.

My most important piece of advice would be to get everything up off the floor that you don't want destroyed, plan on getting zero sleep for the next few weeks at minimum, remember the crate is your friend -- use it and make it a safe, fun place for puppy. Let us know if there is anything else specific you have questions about that you can't find elsewhere. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 5 6:39 am

Shiba Inu > Shiba Owners Recommendations

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:28pm PST 
Bumpity Bump, Bump, Bump. naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 10:11 pm

Shiba Inu > Koji got his 1st Agility Title (Novice Agility, NA)

Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '12 11:56am PST 
Great Job & Congratulations Koji!cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 6 3:13 pm

Shiba Inu > Does Want.
Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 1:39pm PST 
Pippa, I certainly do not want to upset you, and I am very glad you have a happy and healthy pup. I dearly hope your pup stays that way.

I do not consider Icewind a reputable breeder by any stretch - nor do many, many other people. In fact, I consider them one of the most suspect "breeders" in the Mid-Atlantic. I could comment on some of your other items, but making you feel defensive was not the point of my post, so I'll pass.

Those of us involved in Shiba rescue are very sensitive to poor breeding practices. We see the results of it every day. We do our best to guide potential owners in the right direction. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I hope you take some time to read the thread that Tetsuya bumped on selecting a reputable breeder. While this is not pertinent to your current situation, I hope you keep some of the comments in mind should you wish to add another Shiba to your pack in the future.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 9:05 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.