Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:47am PST 
hug
[notify]
» There has since been 82 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 11:34 am

Puppy Place > 20lbs at 10 weeks old
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 1:01pm PST 
I agree with Quincy. I think they look older than 10 weeks. Not just because of their size and build, but their faces look more like an older puppy's would. Even looking at pictures of 10 week old Great Danes, they still look a bit older to me. I'm not saying your vet is wrong though.

If they really are 10 weeks old at 20 pounds though, I found a formula to get an "estimate" of their adult weight awhile back. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it seemed pretty accurate when I tried it on Chewy.

You take their current weight, divide by their age in weeks, and multiply by 52. So-

20/10 = 2*52 = 104

Chewy was a little over 96 pounds at our last vet visit. He is at a VERY lean weight though, and probably isn't as muscular as he was when he was younger. He was always around 105 pounds, but not as lean as he is now, but not fat at all. He was around 12 pounds at 6 weeks. I don't remember how much he weighed at 10 weeks.

12/6 = 2*52 = 104.

Chewy is a purebred Lab, and is also quite tall for one as well. 27 inches at the shoulder, but he was shorter and very stocky as a puppy. My Aunts Lab was 13 weeks old when she got him and he looked a lot like Duncan, he was very tall and lanky, but now full grown he's shorter than Chewy and quite stocky.

To me, Duncan looks all Lab in the newer photos you posted. Dogs can have different fathers so it is possible his sister could have a different father.Can you post newer pics of her? One of my friend's has a Lab that she claims is 100% Lab, but her ears are a lot like Magnolia's.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 10:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Rolled leather collar on large strong dogs?

Chewy

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 10:12am PST 
Thank you for the responses.

He does have a 1.5" flat leather collar, but it has gotten so scratched up and the rolled leather looks like a good/more comfortable collar to have on 24/7. Plus he will look good all the time. laugh out loud

Thank you for the lead recommendation Opheila. I'm actually going to be shopping for a new leash now. The handle broke yesterday while I was walking Moe. He saw something and ran to the end of the leash and snap. All of the strings holding it and whatnot ripped.

Mudler- Haha I bet he did. Just curious, what color is Mudler's collar? I was thinking about getting Chewy a dark red or maybe a brown.

like this- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLED-LEATHER-DOG-COLLAR-RED-24-NICKEL-HARD WARE-/321105688528?pt=Dog_Collars&hash=item4ac363f7d0

Augusta- Thanks for mentioning that, I did not even think of the narrow round collar digging into his neck more. I walk him 90% of the time with his harness and if I ever feel like using a collar I can just put his 1.5" on. When small dogs are teasing him and he wants to chase he does pull pretty hard and the collar would really dig into his neck then.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 17 10:12 am

Behavior & Training > Rolled leather collar on large strong dogs?

Chewy

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 4:02pm PST 
Hi,

Sorry I was not sure where to put this.

I was thinking about getting Chewy a rolled leather collar. He has a collar on 95% of the time with his tags. He has a regular flat collar, but it is all scratched up and also much wider. The rolled leather ones look more comfortable as well.

Chewy is 96-100 pounds and very strong. He's pretty good on walks and doesn't really pull, and even when he does pull a little it's not very intense.

He does go nuts when he sees cats though. Plus occasional loose small dogs like to come just close enough and then run and keep teasing him so he will try to chase them.

Is this collar strong enough to hold him? Even his pulling toward cats and small dogs running away from him aren't full force pulls, but they are powerful. I have been walking him on his harness more, but some days I just use his collar. I'm just wondering because they are such "skinny" collars and he has broken chains in his younger crazier days.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 17 10:12 am

Behavior & Training > Does the Bark Match the Dog?

Chewy

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 9:42pm PST 
Chewy is is very vocal and does a lot of "talking". His excited barks aren't really that deep, but his more serious barks are very deep like a mastiff. When we walk by people we know and they say hi to him he goes, "OOOOOFF" It's his way of saying hi I guess. smile

He has used his very "aggressive"/ protective bark a few times. He'd explode and bark very GSD like, but deeper than most GSDs I have heard. I'd say somewhere between a GSD/Mastiff type of bark.

Seeing he is big black and intimidating to most strangers I would say his bark fits him.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 13 6:29 am

Behavior & Training > Humping other dog after eating?
Chewy

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 6:19pm PST 
Every afternoon after Chewy is done eating his lunch he will obsessively follow Snoopy around and start licking him and humping him. He will lick Snoopy until he is SOAKED. He won't follow him around non stop, but he'll just randomly walk over and hump him then leave, then come back and hump him more. He's been doing this since Snoopy turned a year old, but it wasn't as bad. Before they would just play after eating and Chewy would occasionally hump him, but now it's just non stop licking and humping.

Snoopy doesn't do anything and just stands there helplessly. I cannot get Chewy to leave him alone, he's obsessive. Unless Snoopy is in a crate or somewhere he can't get him he will not settle down. Last night I had to chase him off of Snoopy at least 20 times and still he continued coming back to lick him. Finally I sat Snoopy on the top of the couch, where he fell asleep and Chewy laid down finally.

Why is he doing this? I've noticed it has gotten a bit more intense since people down the street moved in with two female dogs who are not spayed. Could this be the cause? Chewy IS neutered though... When he met one of their dogs he was very excited and was actually licking her ears and face and sniffing her neck and the backs of her ears a lot, which he has never done with a strange dog.

He's never been around females who haven't been spayed, this is the first time he's been around or in the same area as ones we know of. He has only met them twice, but we pass their yard everyday on walks.

Thanks for any advice and tips.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 3 5:53 am

Dog Health > Food transitioning. Is burping more normal?

Chewy

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 11:29am PST 
Thank you,

I've tried something like that before, but the whole time he kept his face shoved against the plate as he ate. So the whole time he was just trying to get as much food as he could as fast as he could with his nose smashed. He made himself sick.

I'll probably continue feeding him out of the big bowl since it kept him from eating so fast and getting too much at a time. I gave him all of the new food today and he didn't lick his rash at all, no drooling or panting after he ate either. Now we'll see if the rash goes away.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 11:29 am

Chewy

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 9:16am PST 
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking that could be possible too. He's not only burping after he eats, but sometimes during the middle of the day too. He does eat pretty fast though, even with added water to slow him down.

This morning I tried feeding him in a really big bowl and spread out the food. He ate a lot slower. I'll see if he burps less today.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 11:29 am

Chewy

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 8:46pm PST 
Hi,

We just last week started to change the dogs to a new food because I think Chewy was having an allergic reaction to the chicken and rice formula. We were originally going to get Nature's Domain Salmon meal, but my mom saw they're now selling a Turkey meal so she wanted to try that instead. I thought he could be allergic to poultry and grains, or one of the two.

Before Chewy had a rash and would lick the rash and drool after eating his meals. Now that we are transitioning to the grain free new food he's been licking the rash less and less, he also seems a lot more relaxed after eating.

I've noticed he's been burping more than usual though and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. He seems to be doing better on this food, but he's burping more. Is increased burping normal while switching foods? I am still mixing old food with the new food. He's not burping a ton, but more than he usually does.

He also seems to be drinking a bit more water than usual lately as well. Right now he's getting 1 cup new food, 1/2 cup old food. I also add some water to slow down his eating.

Thanks for any info.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 11:29 am

Food & Nutrition > Tips for Slowing a Speed Demon - Speed eating and gulping.
Chewy

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 1:14am PST 
I tried the smaller dish inside the larger one and it was not working with Chewy at all.

Have you tried adding water to her food? I give Chewy 1.5 cups of kibble and add another half of a cup of water to his food and it has slowed his eating down a lot. If I were to add more water he'd eat even slower.

I've read on a a Great Dane website to add water to the food because it will keep them from drinking a lot of water after they eat, which can cause bloat. So I started doing that, and it slowed down his eating as a bonus.

I've also used a treat ball. It's a good size so I can fit a whole cup of food in there and he just rolls it around and has to take his time.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 11:09 pm

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.