GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Dog > So you think you want a
Paislee

play hard, power- nap, eat fast.

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 9:09am PST 
Herder mixes here too (cow dogs all the way) i have recently modified my "needs a job" advise to instead say "you must be ready to take up a dog oriented sport on an almost professional level. I am the best Chuck-It weilder in 3 counties." They really have to become your job to be happy. That has been better at discouraging people. I always discourage novices from obtaining them at young ages, get a shelter pup that has a proven off switch intead. While one of mine would be happy in any home that will feed and love and walk her, my other 2 would be a disaster in most urban houses. They are all the known cliches of smart, energetic,etc but they are also tenacious to a point of danger if not managed and they do not know the word moderate.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 6:05 pm

Puppy Place > Littermates. Help!
Paislee

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 1:40pm PST 
I don't have litter mates but mine are roughly one,two and three and a half and sound like a pack of rabid dogs most of the time they are together. I have to be careful cause one of them takes it too far sometimes but a tired dog is a happy dog so i try to let mine wear each other out whenever they are willing, as they get older they will settle down and not need so much of it . My almost 4 year old is not as quick to say yes when the youngers pester her to nwrestle as she was a year ago. If it is all amicable between them let them learn their bite inhabition and such together. Give them ropes to play tug too! Mine love a good round of tug a war with each other while they wont play tug with a human hardly ever.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 10:23 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Cane Corso/Catahoula mix

Paislee

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 12:07pm PST 
Oh definately! I can watch Kai and Holly reason things out in their heads by the look on their faces. They size up the situation and decide on the prudent course of action, but by then Pais has already happily zoned in on her target and gone through 3 people and a fence to get there, all with a dumb grin on her face. I truly thought her other breeds would overide her tiny bit of Houla. I am not saying she is dumb, she is not at all but very seldomly chooses to use those brains. Poor Holly has had to save her a couple times once when she decided to take on the 100 lb troublemaker at the dog park and once when she thought she could take on a mama deer. All of that before she was 6 mos old. I just think that this mix mentioned can be dangerous if you think you have a lovey dog on your hands, i now understand the need for vigilence with Pais, she looks like a happy go lucky beautiful pup with not a mean bone in her body off for a romp and the next thing i know she is in an all out brawl with fur flying, when finally seperated, she is smiling and ready for more 'play' with no idea of the damage she just inflicted. She just thinks it all fun!naughty BTW OT, Tohbie is a good looking dog! He looks like a well raised pup.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 4:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Cane Corso/Catahoula mix

Paislee

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 11:10am PST 
Wow, Paislee is just 1/4 Houla and I can't imagine having to restrain and deal with her in a bigger body. At just 45 lbs she is a force to rekon with .I had to litterally throw myself on her to save Kai one day and Paislee was just mildly irritated her fight mode is fearsome and scary. The only dog she shows any respect for (not fear mind you she know no fear) is Holly, other than that she is ready to take on any dog no matter the size no matter how much dog park socializing I tried. She loves her family but she is terror till she gets the ok from us. We joke about her"going all Houla" on people. Nothing nothing nothing like training any other dog i have ever owned. I too loved the look of the Houla but Pais is a big enough dose of one for me to know a full (or 1/2 ) is more over the top dog than i want again. I will stick with my ACD's Border collies and Aussies, much easier to reason with. They say a houla loses all its instincts with the first cross but i absolutley disagree cause there is so much similarities to Paislee and those hog dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 4:10 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > I hate carpet...

Paislee

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 5:37pm PST 
I say at least once a day "ugh I hate carpets" I vacuum till I am numb and never get all the hair and if you have ever pulled up a carpet in your own house where you know you have vacuumed religiously for years and still see the amount of dirt under it you would hate it too. I love hand scraped or rustic cut wood floors, the dog nails just give it more character but that other rubber stuff sounds great too, anything that can be swept and mopped and is really clean has my vote!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 5:37 pm

Puppy Place > sigh...Paislee is almost a year...can we make it another one?
Paislee

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 6:20am PST 
Paislee is really a great dog in so many ways, she is wonderful about her crating, off leash she is even easier than the other 2 if that is possible, her recall is stupendous, she is typical one year old in the chewing department, an occasional baby toy lost when someone loses track of her. It is mostly her failure to know where she is in relation to the rest of the world, she believes in going from point a to point b no matter who or what is in the way. We are a really relaxed house when it comes to the dogs but that is because with the other 2 though it is not uncommon to have a dog fly inches from your head as they vault over the back of the couch they never actually make contact, they are acutely aware of where they are in relation to the rest of the world so as not to collide with it. Pais on the other hand prefers to use your head as a springboard, or thinks nothing of knocking you on your bum as she is running for no reason whatsoever but to run. She believes in going through only no over or around. And it is not uncommon to find her all fours on the outside tables or coffee table no matter how many times we have corrected her. The other dogs have begun to tattle on her when she does it they bark and look at me expectantly I think they enjoy seeing her get 'talked to'. I am definately going to look into the nose work I think that will be perfect, a walk by my daughter a day a nosework and training session and the other 2 to play with the rest of the time may be the schedule that will keep my sanity. It is hard to be the dog to follow Kai. Kai is so smart and intuitive it was like getting a trained dog at 8 weeks, she is just so over the top smart that having Paislee even though she is smarter than the average dog she still is not as quick to get the rules as kai by about 10x.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 25 9:58 am

Puppy Place > getting a new puppy

Paislee

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 7:21pm PST 
there are a lot of chews geared toward puppies, Kong has Kong Puppy (pink and white in color) stuff. They have one that you can stuff with yogurt or peanut butter and freeze it for extended chew time and cold for the teething time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 2 2:07 pm

Paislee

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 10:23am PST 
Mickey, that is a really good idea, I started to look into that for the other girls before Pais came along but we didn't pursue it because they are so fulfilled with fetching and off leash stuff it was going to be hard to add in nosework. I will have to see if there is a new instructor here, the one that was advertising before has moved away.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 9:58 am

Paislee

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 9:15am PST 
That angelic face is her only saving grace at this point, her only redeeming quality. Which is part of the problem, I tell my daughter 'that dog is a menace' and she says "but look at that sweet face mom"naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 9:58 am

Paislee

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 7:25am PST 
This is more a rant than a question. Ok, I know I complained for the first 3 months about how I was worried about Paislee being so calm, she is so over that. She is a terrorist and I cannot wait till she gets some maturity under her collar she is an unruly bull in a china shop all the time. I have insisted that my daughter enroll in training classes with her since I do not have the time to devote to her to curb this and still be able to devote enough time to the other dogs needs with my schedule. I can't take her to the dog park anymore because she is a bully and tries to grab any running dog by the scruff and alligator roll it to the ground. She is forever trying to take Kai's fetch toy of the moment, she is just an unruly bully. Holly is a big help, if I reprimand Paislee twice for something she takes it upon herself to beat Paislee down with a sound disciplining but sometimes Holly looks at me like "you brought this devil into this house". I am having a tough time finding ways to wear her out since she is not a fetcher, not dog park material, the only excercise she wants is tormenting poor Kai who is 4 lbs less in weight and much less of a brute so she gets her butt kicked every time she tries to put the puppy in her place. I am not looking forward to the next year with the little bruiser.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 9:58 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.