GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dogs & Travel > Picking up New Puppy! - 8 hour drive!
Zoey

love my family- but strangers- beware

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:30pm PST 
We only went a little over an hour but kept them up in the front with us. They ran free outside most of the time and were not crate trained. We went through some pretty wild roads so I might suggest a towel to keep with them as well. Both of ours threw up when we brought them home. Two different dogs from the same breeder at two different times. I guess they were a little nervous and a little car sick.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 3:52 am

Behavior & Training > Listening to one parent not the other
Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:25pm PST 
Her classes are way over she took them when she was younger. At that time she listened to me then quit and only listened to him. She now does not listen to him and but listens to me. I don't think it has anything to do with the classes that was a couple of years ago. We all work with them on commands I probably always have more than anyone. It is the back and forth in who she listens to that I question.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:34am PST 
Nothing about our routine had changed at all. We all feed them and let them out and walk them. They listen to my son who is 14 pretty well also but he went through training with us and is pretty good about commands and sticking to them. I can't think of anything that has changed that would cause her to behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Zoey

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:28pm PST 
I have a GSD that is almost 3 now. I always took her to training classes and when she was young she always listened to me not my husband. Fast forward a little and she quit listening to me at all. Now happier for me she listens to me now for all commands, comes when called but she won't listen to my husband at all. Any suggestions why this might be happening? Our other GSD through her hyperactivity listens pretty well to both of us.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > becoming a foster home

Zoey

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:38am PST 
We have done this a couple of times for one of our local shelters. We usually take the young puppies that they can't handle so we have a litter at a time. We have 3 dogs already at home but we have to keep the babies separate anyway, so it is a little easier. The first time we had 5 (4-5) week old puppies we fell in love with for about two weeks. The second time we had a mom Chihuahua an d her 2 5 week old puppies. We fell in love with them also. We were supposed to have them until they turned 8 weeks old but ended up having them for 2 months. With our other dogs it is easier not to want/have to adopt any more at this time, but we always have a hard time when we give them back because you do fall in love with them. We only take when we have a time limit to give them back although that is not always the correct time limit. Be prepared to love them and I always cry when they go back. If you have little puppies they are a lot of work and taking multiples makes it even harder. Also the shelter didn't provide anything for us to foster them besides a little bit of food to start, some bedding, and a crate to travel in. It could be different for other shelters but be prepared for the added expense and traveling to and from the vet for visits, and if they have any health problems such as worms or worse. That said, if they called me today to take on some more puppies we would pick them right up. It is a great thing to do but you do have to know your limits. We were going to take some 5 day old abandoned puppies but with all the work bottle feeding for an undetermined amount of time we had to turn them down. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 7:38 am

Food & Nutrition > How much to feed?
Zoey

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:52am PST 
I don't eve know what I am feeding them. I know it sounds bad but they didn't know at the shelter I picked them up from. When the puppies were brought up from another state they had 4 cans of Pedigree soft food and two ziplock bags of a dry dog food. That is what they were feeding them. I will be going to the store to get some more food and try to transition them to something I am more familiar with. I hate to get far from what the shelter feeds because when they get big enough to be adopted out they will go back to the shelter. I think the shelter feeds primarily pedigree and beneful, but I know the also feed what they get donated. Right now I am feeding 4 to 5 times a day with a mixture of both the can and dry food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:52 am

Food & Nutrition > How much to feed?

Zoey

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 2:41pm PST 
I am fostering a mama Chihuahua and her two 5-6 week old puppies. My question is how much should they be eating and how often should they be fed? The mom is still nursing some but the puppies are eating can food mixed with crushed hard food that the shelter dropped off. I am feeding them several times a day and they seem to be eating a lot of food several (about 4) cups a day. Every time I feed them they seem like that they have not eaten in forever. I don't know what it was like before I took them except they were on a kill list. I want to make sure I am feeding the mama enough to still nurse but not over feeding them. I have GSD's so they eat a ton but my sisters Chihuahua doesn't eat that much. I know she is nursing and they eat more. Any suggestions or recommendations?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:52 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > You Bake 'Em Dog Biscuts

Zoey

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 6:27pm PST 
I think I might have the same book, of course there are many I am sure. Look for a recipe with peanut butter and cheerios. Little messy but all the dogs I gave them to loved them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 6:27 pm

Dog Health > Fostering mom and pups potty question

Zoey

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:39am PST 
I would normally just call the shelter that I am fostering for but the wonderful lady in charge is out sick and nobody else knows. The shelter called and asked me if I could foster a mom Chihuahua and her two 5 week old pups. We said we would take them but I have never fostered the mom with the pups usually pups that were to young to be adopted that were abandoned. Long story short my question is about the mom and pottying. When is it ok for the mom to leave the pups to go outside to potty? They are now at the house and set up the pups go on the potty pads and the mom did once, but she won't poo. Nobody knows much about them except they were on the kill list and time was up yesterday so we took them. Could she be housetrained and not wanting to go in the house now that the pups are a little older? Little advice on if I can take her outside yet. The pups are still nursing but eating the can food the shelter gave me and drinking water out of a bowl. Thanks in advance.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 27 10:05 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Fostering mom and pups have a question
Zoey

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:08am PST 
I would normally just call the shelter that I am fostering for but the wonderful lady in charge is out sick and nobody else knows. The shelter called and asked me if I could foster a mom Chihuahua and her two 5 week old pups. We said we would take them but I have never fostered the mom with the pups usually pups that were to young to be adopted that were abandoned. Long story short my question is about the mom and pottying. When is it ok for the mom to leave the pups to go outside to potty? They are now at the house and set up the pups go on the potty pads and the mom did once, but she won't poo. Nobody knows much about them except they were on the kill list and time was up yesterday so we took them. Could she be housetrained and not wanting to go in the house now that the pups are a little older? Little advice on if I can take her outside yet. The pups are still nursing but eating the can food the shelter gave me and drinking water out of a bowl. Thanks in advance.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 27 11:29 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.