Postings by Maggie NAC WV-N TN-N CTL-3 RE

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Sports & Agility > Funny obedience/agility stories
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:32pm PST 
Oh my...I am deep in stories due to my wonderful Mags!

She has had zoomies in every single venue we have competed in (rally, obedience, and agility). Her first rally zoomie was during our 2nd foray into Excellent (so she was plenty used to being off leash in the rally ring) - we were about halfway through the course when we were doing a left pivot and the next thing I know Maggie bolted during the next bit of heeling, she picked up a cone and bounced around the ring play bowing at the judge and me. We still managed a Q (with a lower score), but it was super cute!

In Maggie's second ever long down in obedience it was at an outdoor trial. Well Mags was enjoying the sunshine a bit much and decided to give into the urge to roll. She stayed in her down, but somehow managed to move forward about 5 feet while rolling around. None of the other dogs were close enough to her for her to disturb them (we were on the edge).

Maggie also had the cutest recall in our last foray into the obedience ring. She came flying out of her sit and ran up to me, didn't sit, and then backed up 6 feet and sat. I was laughing pretty hard and the judge was definitely smirking.

Agility has had plenty of silly things. Maggie is a zoomer if I don't give her a job before her first run of the day. She also has jumped over tunnels, picked up cones, rolled while in a down at the start line, pooped on course, and even hacked up a cookie on the teeter. She also has had some silly gamble accomplishments by "out"ing too far lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Shayne CGC, RL2, Apr 30 11:57 am

Sports & Agility > Hanging ribbons

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 6:11pm PST 
Ugh, you guys make me feel bad that the majority of my ribbons are in a large plastic tub. I only take important ribbons anymore (unless for a national or dated) as I don't have room for them all. I usually keep out the most recent ribbons that I get and they usually hang from a push pin on my cork board until the board gets too full and they go in the tub frown
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Feb 1 5:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Playing tug?

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:58am PST 
Ditto Rigby!

I play tug with Porter as that is his game of choice. He usually "wins" but he does have a good "drop." He is not careful with his teeth, so we really pay attention to toy placement.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 8 5:54 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Why Do "Adoptable Dog" Dogster Pages Not Show Up in The Adoption Search Function?

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:15pm PST 
I haven't had a foster in over a year, so I had no idea about this change, but that just isn't right! I placed one dog through Dogster and it was a fabulous home! Yes, my rescue has Petfinder, but there was little room for people to get to know the dogs.

I fully support this Tiller.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Dec 30 12:31 pm

Sports & Agility > Agility trial brag!

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 3:16pm PST 
Congrats! I love CPE agility and an crossing my fingers that we get into the trial at the end of this month - I am having withdrawals laugh out loud

Any video? I love watching baby dogs big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Addie CL1 CL2 CL3 NAJ, Dec 18 12:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Ecollars : An Intelligent Discussion

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:06pm PST 
Lol! You said it better than me 'Gus smile

This is from NADAC and the bonus line is starting to draw the crowd to trying them more often. I run a dog that has amazing distance, but is difficult to work close in as she is more verbal and higher arm position focused than how one has to run a tight and tricky course. She is brilliant though and is learning how to work with me as a team (I am handler #4 we have only been working together for 4 months so it has been rough).
[notify]
» There has since been 81 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:32pm PST 
That dog has an excellent memory and due to numerous run‚ąíthroughs on that course, remembers it. Change one obstacle at the last minute and the dog would still run the old pattern.

Not a chance that the dog ever saw that course...and that is not how agility works - people rarely ever see the same course twice even if you have the same judge after many years. This handler has many other videos of her dogs doing plenty of distance runs at a Champs (that is similar to a National for this venue).

I also don't find these kinds of run to be rare as there is usually at least one (normally at three or four handlers) per every NADAC trial I go to, I know how this lady trains her dogs as well as working with others (positive and food based with great results and usually pretty quick considering the time it takes to do anything in agility). If you look at her channel she has many more videos with good distance and precision.
[notify]
» There has since been 86 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Animal Cops.. Dumb..?

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:39pm PST 
Ugh, I hate that (so called) temperament test confused

I pulled a super sweet Aussie from a pretty fast turn over shelter and she was said to be a "severe biter and not likely to ever live in a home successfully" as they use the fake hand in the bowl test pretty exclusively. This dog had no issue with a real hand in her food/face, but that fake hand on a stick was pretty terrifying to her. She now lives in a home with 2 little girls and is truly a great house dog. Then there is the little Dachshund pair that supposedly passed this test, that are probably the worst biters I have ever met - what a great reliable test frown

I understand in high turn over shelters where there are too many dogs and not enough homes/spaces they are in a bit of a pickle. But the way some shelter staff use this test is not in any way what I consider reliable.

Ugh, that is not how I wanted to word the above...but it is as good as it is getting.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 10:33 am

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:03pm PST 
I figure that everyone can train whatever way they wish, I don't get into training arguments with people as it really isn't my place. I will state my opinion and will help if people ask - but don't expect me to argue that you are doing something I would never do (unless you mention you are beating your puppy).

I figure that people will train how they train as it works with their personality (not so much dog dependent as I can work a friends "correction trained" Rottie with my clicker/marking and she is great with me even though I don't correct anything). I will never use a stim collar for anything other than snake training and even then that isn't very likely as I don't live in that kind of area (nor do I plan to). I can get precision obedience the way I train.

As for precision and distance control in agility - I take it some of you guys haven't seen Amanda Nelson and her dogs (and she is not the only one that has good distance and precision).
[notify]
» There has since been 102 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Sports & Agility > Looking for some information about competing in Rally or Obedience

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:20pm PST 
I've been training Maggie in Utility exercise, even though we don't even have a Q in Novice...there is no limit on what you can train big grin

I have quit playing in the AKC game, it is really expensive and the letters after the name are not worth the cost to me (although I might someday finish Maggie's RAE...we are almost there). I do play in ASCA Obedience and Rally though as it is a bit cheaper and I like the flavor a bit more...plus it is cheaper smile (and open to all breeds).

I personally have a blast training my dogs to do precision behaviors. Yes, I could squeak by with Tika and get her CD right now - but I want decent scores and consistent behaviors, so I am holding off till February for her first trial (maybe late January if I feel she is ready).

I would just advise looking into the signs for any of the venues. Learning the signs and watching YouTube videos (I would suggest Ruthann's videos as she not only explains the exercise - but also ways to train it - HERE.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie NAC WV-N TN-N CTL-3 RE , Nov 30 7:20 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.