GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Senior Dogs > One last journey
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 9:46am PST 
So so sorry... the absolute hardest part of having such wonderful four-legged family in our lives. frown If only their life-span were longer. I'm glad your mom will be there for you, it's so important having someone around to help out. Especially with the things that keep us going, which suddenly feel meaningless in comparison. Don't feel like you owe anybody any social niceties right now. It's all about you and Sabi and every single moment you have together.
hughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 113 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 11:34 am

Behavior & Training > He thinks everything is for him!
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 3:43pm PST 
Misha used to think every stuffed animal was for him. One of our roommates went to build-a-tear and brought home a stuffed rabbit and he just couldn't believe it wasn't a new toy. XD I think it's cute, though it might be annoying if I had human children lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 7:39 am

Alaskan Klee Kai > Hi, all!

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 2:07pm PST 
Acta- eas is impossibly cute!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 10:57 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > When does it sink in?

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 6:23pm PST 
Welcome to Oregon, Ark would have loved our beaches. smile

Maybe there's sand and salt still in his fur? Flea stuff also washes off if you put it on the day before. There's tiny bugs in the sand too, but I'd have to look up if they're parasitic or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Sep 29 6:15 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Alaskan Klee Kai Breeder

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 7:54pm PST 
The parent dogs should also have been tested for Factor VII (or the dogs they were bred from). FVII deficiency causes a bleeding disorder. It is genetic and a dog that doesn't have the disorder can still pass it to it's offspring.

Here's some more info on health problems in AKK from Nornir Klee Kai:

The Alaskan Klee Kai is a relatively healthy breed with minimal heritable health defects seen through the generations. However, responsible breeders are still working to eliminate what health defects there are by removing affected dogs from the breeding pool. Some of the health concerns to look out for in the Alaskan Klee Kai breed are Factor VII deficiency, patellar luxation, autoimmune thyroiditis, and congenital cardiac disease. If you are looking to obtain an Alaskan Klee Kai puppy, it is always a good idea to ask for the OFA records of the parents. OFA stands for the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, which is a globally recognized organization that collects and publishes health records for purebred dogs.

If the breeder does not know whether the dogs being bred are Factor VII normal or not...find another breeder. She should know whether or not her pups from lines that FVII has been bred out of.

EDIT: This site in general actually has a lot of really good information for your sister to consider. http://www.alaskankleekaiscam.com/buying-an-alaskan-klee-kai-2/good- breeder-vs-bad-breeder/ smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 29 12:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Alaskan Klee Kai Breeder
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 2:43pm PST 
Ask if they breed for temperament. AKK can be very shy and I know a lot of breeders right now are working hard to breed more social dogs.

It looks like a breeder that definitely loves dogs and takes good care of them, but may not be super discerning when it comes to working towards improving the quality of the breed itself? There's not much info on breed standards or pros/cons or anything like that, which many breeder sites provide.

It does say she only has 1-2 litters a year, which is a good sign because it means she isn't breeding her dogs constantly just to get more pups to sell.

Did she have to fill out an application? Most reputable breeders require an application so they can review if they think you are the right fit for their pups.

Ask to see pictures of the parents and of the kennels where they keep their dogs. With a time stamp if possible (like...a piece of paper held up in the picture with the date written on it, just to prove that it's recent).

She is not listed on any reputable breeder lists for Klee Kai. Google her name, e-mail, phone number, etc to see if you can find any more information or anyone who's purchased one of her pups. That may seem excessive, but I feel like if I'm paying that much and risking having a puppy shipped, I want to know as much as I possibly can. It's hard when you can't physically visit the breeder you're buying from.

You can also contact breeders who are on the lists and members of organizations like the AKKOA to see if they've heard of her and know her reputation.

Oh oh! There's a klee kai database too where you can potentially look up the parents to see what lines they're from. http://www.akkpedigreesonline.org/

Hope this helps! Not saying she's a bad breeder, just get as much info as you can. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , May 29 12:28 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Too Soon

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 9:53am PST 
Reeeeally missing you today, Misha. frown You're still in my dreams, my brain apparently just assumes I have two dogs now.

You would have really liked Arya. She tries to play with the kitties all the time but they don't want to play with her either. You two could have chased each other all over the yard.

You were such a good dog. ;_; There were a lot of issues to work on, but you were so loving and expressive and getting so much better meeting new people. I'm sorry I didn't take you for enough walks for your energy level or to the dog park very often. I'm sorry your separation anxiety was so bad, that had to have been awful for you. I still remember when you accidentally got shut in the bedroom while we were at work and tried to dig your way out. The landlord still probably hasn't forgiven us lol.

I just... wish we were a two-dog household right now. I love you baby boy. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 8 11:24 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > goodby my baby rufus

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:55am PST 
Sorry you lost your sweet newfie. frown Rest in peace Rufus hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 11:55 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My heart is broken, I don't understand how or why this happened

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 12:32pm PST 
I'm so so sorry you lost your baby like that. frown It's really really hard, you were just trying to do what was best for her please don't blame yourself. You could have never anticipated this.

Try not to put too much harsh blame on the woman you re-homed her with, it won't help you feel better... Sometimes dogs get out on accident, even if the family is trying to do everything right. From what you've said, it sounds like the woman was having trouble coping with how something like this could possibly happen. She couldn't bear to look at Obbie because here was this sweet dog they had JUST adopted and suddenly she was gone. The woman probably felt immensely guilty and it was likely very hard to face you. Distancing herself from the situation could have been the only way she was able to cope.

Even if you had charged a re-homing fee and checked out the home... accidents can still happen. frown Going over all of the "What If"s and "I should have"s only prolongs the pain.
I hope you are able to recover her remains. Take it easy, give yourself plenty of time to grieve. It does get better. Take comfort in knowing she lived a wonderful life by your side and was deeply loved. You always always had her best interests at heart, you never let her down. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 13 10:40 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > When does it sink in?
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 9:38pm PST 
Sorry again for your loss... frown He sounds like a wonderful dog.

It took over a month for me to really accept that Misha was really gone. And in that subconscious way... where I kept expecting him to be there. I kept thinking I left him outside too long on accident and needed to bring him back in. Then I would remember that wasn't true... and I'd cry. I still miss him.

Don't let anyone else tell you when you're ready for a new dog. My boyfriend was ready almost immediately. Like you, he knew he could never replace Misha but needed to fill that emptiness.
I needed a month before I felt like I was emotionally ready to accept the responsibility of a new pup. I needed to watch dog movies and commiserate and get all my grief out.

Keep sharing stories about Ark. smile hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Sep 29 6:15 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.