Postings by Cricket

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Choosing the Right Dog > Help with choosing a dog for my roommate (there was a problem with the first thread)
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:55pm PST 
Whippet? I don't know if that's too similar to a greyhound for her, but it might be a good fit
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Baby, Apr 1 4:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Almost time! I'd love some suggestions!
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 4:29pm PST 
Have you given any thought to the herding spitz breeds - like Samoyeds, Finnish Lapphunds, or Icelandic Sheepdogs? They seem like they might tick a lot of your boxes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed has the softest coat?

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:01am PST 
All of my three longhaired whippets are so soft and silky - people always comment on it when they meet them. Once you start petting them it's hard to stop smile
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 30 1:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Which Dog Breed do you have...???

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:07am PST 
3 Longhaired Whippets smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Oct 3 9:13 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Your Top Three

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 12:31pm PST 
Well. My next dog will almost certainly be another longhaired whippet, because they are fabulous dogs and I don't know that I'll ever be without at least one. But there are several other breeds I want to try out too. I think my next non-LHW is going to be a herding breed of some sort. Sorry I had to pick four, can't narrow it down any further yet:

1. Australian Koolie
2. English Shepherd
3. GSD
4. Rough Collie
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Dot, Sep 27 7:55 pm

Dog Health > I am deeply saddened.................
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 2:30pm PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Jax frown
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Jun 4 10:27 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Italian greyhound vs. Whippet vs. Greyhound

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 5:13pm PST 
I have experience with all three - I've fostered some of each and have shown whippets and IGs. I own two longhaired whippets (which are a separate breed, but that's beside the point).

As others have said, IGs are very different from their larger counterparts. They might look like tiny greyhounds, but they were never really bred to be working hounds. There are some similarities - like greyhounds, they are quiet, sweet, very attached to their people, and have a good off-switch. Unlike greyhounds, they are quite high-energy, and very playful and bouncy. They are also very needy and want to be as close to their people as possible (preferably touching them). IGs are very intelligent but often stubborn (though the right dog can make a great agility competitor), and the housetraining thing is an issue. Yes, they are fragile, especially as puppies, and that's definitely something to keep in mind. Leg breaks are common, though the risk can be minimized by keeping your dog in good condition. IGs are so much fun, but not for everyone - the IGCA has an excellent article called "IGs: The Good, The Bad and the Downright Ugly" that I'd recommend reading.

Greyhounds really are gentle giants. In general you couldn't ask for a sweeter, gentler, mellower dog - I won't go into too much detail because I think they've already been described well here. I do want to say, however, that not every greyhound is a total couch potato. Jenn of Never Say Never Greyhounds does agility, obedience, dock diving and more with her greys:
http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.net/index.html

I have to say whippets are my favorite of the three, but I'm pretty biased. Whippets tend to be more active than greyhounds, but not as hyper as IGs; they still have that wonderful sighthound off-switch but require a bit more exercise than a grey. They'll do crazy zoomies for twenty minutes, then come in and cuddle and lounge around. They are very sweet dogs, silly and playful without being goofy. Most tend to be quite outgoing. In my opinion, they're the most trainable of the three breeds, especially the field or dual purpose lines.

I'd definitely spend some time with each breed, because they are all quite different and appeal to different types of owners. Good luck with your decision! One tip - if you're looking at getting a puppy this year, you're going to need to start contacting breeders very soon. Waiting lists fill up quickly.

In response to sighthounds "never ever" being off-leash, it totally depends on the dog. Cricket is almost always off-leash, and I know that I can trust her. She has a very high prey drive - she's a wonderful lure courser and has actually won a Best In Field. She also has an excellent recall, and I frequently call her off rabbits or deer with no problems. My younger dog, Journey, still needs some training but she's getting there as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 3:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How did you find "the breed"?

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 4:30pm PST 
How did you discover "the breed"?

I was 14 - my family had a collie, and after a lot of pleasing my parents told me I could get a puppy of my own. I had been researching breeds for a while but hadn't made any final decisions yet. I hadn't had any interest in sighthounds before I stumbled across a picture of a longhaired whippet. I thought "Wow. That's my dog." I started doing more research and liked everything I read about them, then met a local breeder's dogs and fell in love. I got my first longhaired whippet puppy about six months later and haven't looked back.

What makes you love this breed so much in comparison to all the choices out there?

Even though I consider longhaired whippets "my breed" and I'll hopefully never be without one, there are a ton of other breeds I'd like to own. However these guys fit the bill pretty perfectly. They are athletic couch potatoes like myself - they're awesome hiking and backpacking buddies, but don't actually require a great deal of exercise and are just as happy to lounge around the house and cuddle all day. They are playful without being goofy, intelligent without being neurotic, and outgoing without being "in your face". They are gentle, sweet, and just so keyed into me. Plus, they make awesome agility and obedience dogs. Oh, and they're pretty and fluffy.

What were your second choices?

I had started off looking at Cavaliers because a friend had them and I liked them. But after some research I got scared away by the health problems, and turned to English Cocker Spaniels. I actually got very close to getting one, and they're still a breed I'd like to own.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cricket, May 28 4:30 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > make me a match

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 2:15pm PST 
I think a whippet could be a good fit too - definitely a good one to look into. The right greyhound might work as well. Whippets tend to be more active than greyhounds, but they're definitely not insanely energetic.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Shep, Jul 3 12:09 am

Behavior & Training > Where do you keep your crate?
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Sun May 13, '12 7:22pm PST 
Our crates are against a side wall of the living room. We kept each dog's crate in my bedroom until they were fairly well housetrained, then they started sleeping on my bed instead of the crate. They're only in the crates when no one's home.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, May 13 9:10 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.