Postings by Kiska

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Too Soon
Kiska

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 2:20pm PST 
Oh Misha, I am so, so sorry for your loss.
(Sorry I am only replying now, I have not been on this forum in maybe a year...)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jul 8 11:24 am

Alaskan Klee Kai > Separation Anxiety & socialization problem, HELP! :(
Kiska

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 11:11am PST 
Hi Ponyo,
I really HIGHLY recommend some sort of obedience class. It helps teach you ways to train them (they can be very stubborn and are often too smart) and it's good for the dogs as it gives them some structure and socialization.
When we got Kiska, we signed her up immediately for puppy kindergarten, but we also made sure she did doggie daycare and we took her to puppy play groups. It's expensive, but I think it's also a necessary cost. Otherwise you might end up with a dog that's out of control and won't listen to you at all. (As a side note, there's another AKK I see at the dog park sometimes and he not only has aggression issues, but when it's time to leave, his owners spend at least 15/20 minutes running after him to try to put his leash on, since he won't come when called).
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kairi, May 22 8:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Doggy day care?

Kiska

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 10:04pm PST 
Kiska goes sporadically right now since I'm not working and I'm home with her. I'd say she goes probably a few times a month. I alternate between one daycare place that is right nearby - it's quite fancy! - and one that's a bit more no-frills, a bit farther away, but I really like the trainer and manager there and we did all of Kiska's obedience classes there as well.

I take Kiska because she has a ton of energy - she's 11 months now and sometimes I really need a break! - and for the socialization aspect. She really enjoys playing with other dogs, but she is very shy and nervous in new situations, so I think going to daycare helps her with this issue. I think it provides some good stimulation for Kiska and it's a nice break from the dog park; plus I know she has her doggie best friends at each daycare place that she enjoys playing with.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Remy, Sep 3 7:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bile vomit

Kiska

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 4:33pm PST 
Hi all,
Kiska has lately been having bile vomits more frequently...when we first got her, she had them occasionally in the mornings. I give her a grain free biscuit at bedtime and that seemed to help a bit.
However, starting about 2 weeks ago, the people at Kiska's daycare told me that she was having bile vomits, usually in the early evening, between 5 - 7 pm. It happened about 3 times in 2 weeks. Last week, she had a bile vomit in the morning. Yesterday morning she vomited, but there was also some meat and a bit of her biscuit in there. She then vomited yesterday afternoon around 5 pm, and it looked like it was bits of twig and leaves and grass (we had gone to my mom's house in the suburbs for the day and Kiska was having fun in the backyard). Then a couple of hours ago, I was walking Kiska outside and she had two pretty big bile vomits; it was probably around 5:30 or 6 pm.

Is this normal? She has been on the raw diet since late January/early February and she seems to be fine. I mean, she is just as energetic and unruly and hungry as usual. I did try increasing her amount of food a few weeks ago since she is constantly hungry, and also because she was being super active at daycare and it looked like she lost a bit of weight, but she was having a seriously bad case of runny poops alternating with constipation. I've since cut back a bit on the amount of food and her poops are back to normal....I feed her twice a day, usually between 8 - 9:30 am and then between 5 - 7:30 pm. I give her small snacks during the day - she gets either a couple of small bites of meat or a couple of chicken hearts and she really likes frozen baby carrots, so she'll get maybe 1 or 2 a day as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi, Lily &, May 4 10:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Poop question

Kiska

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 4:39pm PST 
Hmmmph, I just picked her up from daycare and they were all "we were just about to call you" and they said that she had thrown up bile and that she had been straining to poop but nothing was coming out. They ended by saying we should not attend the puppy play group tonight and that Kiska should go home and rest, but she was way hyper and playful all the way home and she even got the zoomies right before we got to our apartment.

I gave her another boneless meal tonight since it sounded like she was constipated; I hope it was the right thing to do but I am worried that tomorrow morning she'll have really runny poo again...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kiska, Apr 21 4:39 pm

Kiska

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 1:43pm PST 
Hmmm, interesting point, Max. But Kiska has been on a raw fed diet since about the end of January; she seemed fine until now...

She hasn't been eating any more fat than usual - this past weekend she had some bone in chicken breast without the skin, and she also had a skinless drumstick...yesterday she had a bone in chicken thigh (though this time there was a little bit of skin on it). She's also had some boneless beef last week and this morning she had boneless pork. She hasn't had any organs since last week...? She did have an egg on Saturday, and at first I thought that was why she had some runny poo, but it's Thursday and she's still having runny poo...I would imagine that the egg would have come out earlier this week? I do give Kiska pureed veggies on occasion, only because she never gets a chance to self regulate by eating grass since the grass in our area is generally off limits to dogs...she's been having the veggies since maybe two weeks, and there hadn't been any problems either; I mean, I wasn't even seeing the veggies in her poop at all, so I assumed she was digesting them?

I guess if the runny poop doesn't get better by the end of next week I'll have to take her to the vet. I'm just afraid that since she's got no other signs of illness, the vet is going to say that it's the raw food, and then my husband will be all, "I told you so....!"
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kiska, Apr 21 4:39 pm

Kiska

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 10:51am PST 
Well, I'm pretty sure the meat is unenhanced - the chicken she's been eating the last few days is from Whole Foods, as is the lamb. The pork she eats is from Key Foods - the labels don't say anything about it being enhanced, and she's had pork and beef from there before without any issues...?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kiska, Apr 21 4:39 pm

Kiska

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 9:39am PST 
Hi everyone,
Kiska has been doing great on raw; she eats a relatively good variety of meats, and she's always had rather consistent poops.

However, this past week, her poops have been really weird. The past 4 mornings, she has pooped in the apartment (she always waits til we take her out after her breakfast to poop), and they have been really, really soft, with some drops of liquid. I started giving her some bone-in chicken thinking maybe her stomach was upset. It hasn't really done much, though it did make an appearance in her poop last night, finally. She has teeny tiny hard drops of yellow poop, which I assume meant that I had gone overboard with the chicken bones. But this morning, she had three big poops in the apartment again, and they were really soft, and again with some watery drops.

I can't really figure what the problem is - this morning I fed her some boneless pork since she had had such hard and dry poops last night. My husband and I thought maybe she had a parasite or maybe picked up something from daycare, but she is just as hungry as always and just as energetic and playful as usual (if not more!). She's definitely not acting sick at all....

I'm wondering if maybe I've given her too much food? I usually give her between 2.5 - 3.5% of her adult weight (she is 7 months now). I went up to 3.5% of her adult weight (so, about 9 ounces) because she started daycare this month and she is really, really active at daycare; plus she seems to be getting a bit slimmer. (I think that she's always been on the slim side, but she was filling out nicely last month and she looks a bit thinner again since she started daycare; we can see her ribs).

I'm going to cut her back down to 6-7 ounces a day and see how she does, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to her runny/diarrhea poops?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kiska, Apr 21 4:39 pm

Raw Food Diet > Price?

Kiska

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 9:03pm PST 
Wow, sounds like everyone has really, really good prices where they live!

I occasionally see meats on sale at $1.99/lb but that's really the lowest price I've ever seen - most stuff is between $2.99/lb - $9.99/lb in my area, depending on what it is and which grocery store I go to.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Delta and Doc, Apr 8 2:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > Puking
Kiska

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 5:30pm PST 
Hi,
Thanks for the replies! I feel much more relieved now!

No, I didn't let her eat the sardine she threw up, though I hesitated, but then as it was, I was the weirdo who gave my dog an entire fish, so I wasn't sure I should also let her eat it off the street as well.... yeah, the puppy's mom was leaning over, looking at the fish, and she was like, "OMG, what did she eat??? What IS that??" and I kind of muttered "She ate fish for dinner" and the girl was all, "My, that's a lot of unchewed food..." I was kind of standing there staring at it because I was debating if I should let Kiska just eat it (she was dying to eat it) but the girl said, "So...do you have a bag to clean it up?" and I was like, "Oh, yeah...I do..."

Anyway, I just gave her a few bites of some frozen bone-in chicken breast; I think she is totally fine because after she ate she decided to play with one of her toys and now she is running in circles chasing her tail....!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Stewie, Mar 12 1:49 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.