Postings by Libby

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > The Incontinence Sage Continues
Libby

Love me!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 3:31pm PST 
I have used diapers and have a regimen in place to avoid urine scalding. I do live close to work, so can go hometo let her out, but she leaks urine even if she's just urinated outside. We've increased her DES to about every three days and changed her diet to a low-protein prescription one in order to resolve struvite crystals in her urine, which she has had for a few months. Vitamin C has not resolved the issue and she recently had a concurrent bladder infection, which can cause bladder stones. The increased DES has resolved most of the incontinence, but today I think I found a puddle even though she had a dose yesterday morning, and I'm starting to think this is a symptom of a larger problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Libby, Jul 31 3:31 pm

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:17pm PST 
I've been hoping to avoid surgical options if possible and am hoping that her third week of DES will bring some results. She's down from puddles to drips, so we are making progress. We use Foster & Smith bloomers and like them. I keep two on hand so that I can wash one if she misses the overpriced panty liner that I stick in there, and then back up with disposable ones. I've been using unscented baby wipes to keep her clean, and the vet prescribed a Panalog cream which cleared up the two tiny ulcers on her vulva from scalding. Any other tips on hygiene? Does your female let you clip the fur around her vulva?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Libby, Jul 31 3:31 pm

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:41pm PST 
*Saga
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Libby, Jul 31 3:31 pm

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:41pm PST 
My 5 yr old spayed husky has had incontinence for about four months. PPA didn't work and we switched to DES. The dosage requires one pill each day for four days, then one each week thereafter. After the initial four, I had to give the next week's pill 6 days later because the incontinence returned. Yes, I got permission from the vet to do this. The pill worked for about two days, and then she began leaking again. The flow has slowed down considerably to just a drop or two instead of a puddle. I'm still using baby wipes to clean her vulva and Panalog to treat the irritation from urine.

At this point, I've thrown a lot of money at this problem and, while it is improving, I'm starting to become frustrated for my poor pooch. Will adjusting the DES be helpful? Is this something other than spay incontinence? It's not a UTI. Is this just going to be our new normal? Does anyone else have experience with this?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Libby, Jul 31 3:31 pm

Dog Health > Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 5:21am PST 
When administering Vectra to my dog's skin, I got a few drops on my finger and the liquid started eating through my nail polish. So that's not going on my dog's skin ever again. I'm going to try brewer's yeast, which I've heard does the job.
[notify]
» There has since been 55 posts. Last posting by Juniper, Aug 18 3:26 pm

Dog Health > Post surgical stomach upset
Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:38pm PST 
My dog was anesthetized for a dental cleaning this morning. She's been able to urinate, defecate, eat, and drink. She's not eaten much per the vet's aftercare instructions, but has loose stool and is pacing and whining. This is consistent with her post-spay behavior and her behavior when her stomach is upset. typically, I would give Pepcid, but Im not sure if this will interact with the anesthetic she's ad today. Any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 13 4:08 am

Dog Health > Okay, incontinence. What now?

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:27pm PST 
The PPA didn't work very well, so we switched to DES, which is working better. She has a couple of small ulcers from the prolonged contact of her vulva with urine. The vet clipped her fur today, we've been using medicated wipes and an ointment. Now that we're getting the in continence under control, I'm hoping for more progress. Heavens, this is no fun! .
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:50pm PST 
Thank you! I picked up some topical meds and, apparently am going to have to get to know her lady bits fairly well for a couple of weeks. Hopefully we're going to make some progress this week! Thanks for your reply. I still feel like I should have noticed and taken care of it sooner, but all I can do now is work on improving the situation. Thank you for your support!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 10:46am PST 
And where the heck is my sad emoticon? I needed a sad emoticon next to the part about the guilty tears.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

Libby

Love me!

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 10:45am PST 
We started her on Proin yesterday. How long before it starts working? I feel like a horrible dog mom because apparently this issue has been ongoing for some time, as the skin around her rectum is all red and when I tried to clean her up a little this morning, she cried out. She never cries out and this brought instant, guilty tears to my eyes. http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php# I'm de-peeing the entire house (so much enzymatic cleaner), have given her a bath with medicated shampoo, ordered some bloomers with washable pads, and am looking for whatever else I need to do in order to make her more comfortable. I'd love to get some pointers from people whose dogs have had this same issue. How do I keep the area dry while I wait for the Proin to kick in? Will I need to continue to worry about accidents while she's on the Proin? What happens if the med doesn't work or if she has side effects? I thank you in advance for your help.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.