Postings by Lucky (R.I.P)

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Cremation ashes, 1 year later
Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 8:25am PST 
I agree with everyone here, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Next month it will have been 3 years since Lucky passed, and we still have the box with her ashes in them that sits on the mantle over the fireplace. Next to it sits a picture of her while she was in her prime, and her collar rests on top of the box. Maybe in time we'll bury them, but for now it comforts me to know in some way my protector is still close by and to look and see the dog I remember so clearly in that picture and I used to sit and hold her collar frequently, but I haven't touched it in a year.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maggie (I'm Moms Angel Now), Aug 27 8:41 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!
Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:21am PST 
First, your boy is a very handsome boy.

However, I want to join the others and say it would probably be better not to breed him. I'm not against purebred dogs at all, but it does need to be done responsibly and to better the breed (healthy individuals with as much testing as possible and titles to reflect their abilities). If you're not even sure your boy is purebred, than he will not better the breed. GSDs have already been affected by BYB's. Dogs with horrible allergies, horrible hips, unstable temperaments. Everyone wanted a Rin Tin Tin, but now a lot of these dogs are no where close to that. Now, I'm not saying your dog is this way. But with a dog with unknown lineage you're rolling the dice and playing with the lives of future puppies. Even if he himself seems healthy.

And I had a friend whose dog had an accidental litter, and had friends who said they would take the pups. Said she had all of them homes. Only one friend actually followed through. And these were small chi/papillon mixes. Not large GSDs who are a much more difficult dog to own and care for. How many of these friends are you confident can raise a GSD? Who can provide the said GSD with a job and the training it needs to be a happy and good canine citizen? German Shepherds are one of the breeds known to develop some degree of SSA or DA, are these potential families prepared for that? I too read Craigslist and it breaks my heart seeing all these dogs being given up.

"We just don't have the time to exercise him." or "He's just too energetic for our family"
"He barks too much"
"We just had a baby"
"We're moving"
"We got a new dog and he doesn't like the new dog"
"He got too big, we can't keep him."
"I just don't have time for him."

What people say and what people do are often not the same when it comes to dogs. I've seen too many dogs dumped or given up on when they're not the cute puppies anymore and they start having problems common with the breed. If your friends want a dog they can go to a shelter, or contact a GSD breed rescue. Knowing how many dogs die every day in shelters, it would be hard for me to breed my dog in this circumstance. I hope you and the female dog's owner will reconsider.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 27 11:15 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > An old dog's decline.

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:37pm PST 
hughug

It's always hard to watch such a good old friend lose their strength. In particular for me it was incredibly hard since it was childhood shepherd and most of my childhood memories of her had labeled her "invincible" in my mind. I had always felt safe. In my childhood memories she was stronger than any bear, faster than any racing thoroughbred, and more agile than any little critter. Watching her go from that image to the older dog who began to decline... was very hard.

I hope with some luck and with your TLC you'll have more than a year to continue to love and celebrate your old friend. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Mar 27 9:20 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Time to say goodbye

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 10:14pm PST 
Rest easy in heaven, Jacques. rainbow

To those you had to leave behind I send all my love, support, and hugs in this hard time. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucky (R.I.P), Feb 1 10:14 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My house is so empty now

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 10:12pm PST 
hug Just as Alice said, the right thing is often the hardest. And just because we know it is what is best, it does not make it easier or the pain any less. I'm so sorry for your loss.

May your girl rest easy in heaven. rainbow

"Good bye may seem forever,
Farewell is like the end.
But in my heart's a memory,
And there you'll always be"
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Pua'ena-Rest In Peace, Feb 4 6:35 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > "a living love" a must read for anyone who has an older or has lost a pet.
Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 3:43pm PST 
100% true, very beautiful. rainbow

Those lost, as we all know, are still always loved and never forgotten.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucky (R.I.P), Jan 11 3:43 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My boy Merlin

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 12:32pm PST 
hug I am so sorry to hear of your loss. When we had to put our shepherd down... it was the most awful feeling. And it lingered for so long, and still at times I find myself missing her. I don't think that feeling will ever completely go away. In time the ache does ease, and the happy memories will come to light. We can learn to celebrate life, versus only mourning our loss. We adopted a puppy (oh my a crazy one at that) in Lucky's honor. I pray every day that Lucky watches over him. He cannot replace her. No dog ever could. But the love of a dog can pull you out of the darkest of places if you're ready to accept it. The dogster community is absolutely wonderful, never be afraid to reach out if you need someone who understands to talk to.

God speed, Merlin. May you rest in peace rainbow
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Merlin (In loving memory), Jan 4 11:02 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Denial

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 10:42am PST 
After Lucky passed I would often pause and try to step over her in the middle the hall way where she would often sleep. I went to go get her food bowl, asked if she had been fed. I waited for her by the door, often to realize she would never again come to greet me.

But over time it does pass. Give yourself time to let yourself feel whatever you need to. I'm very sorry for your loss hug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Roxie RIP my Beloved Princess, Dec 20 3:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Evaluating breeders

Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 8:37pm PST 
But as a general rule, I think the dogs she's working with are a little higher drive, a little higher intensity than what Lucky wants.

Yeah, definitely my thoughts too. There is a very tiny part of me who wants to believe I can handle it and or that they might have a dog suitable...but with a dog like the GSD (or any breed) knowing your limitations are important. I mean maybe in 3 years my limits would be different, maybe I'd have some how gained a lot of training experience and was in a lot better shape... lol But I don't see that happening and even then I'm not sure the more intense dog is what I would still want.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lenny, Dec 9 7:37 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Evaluating breeders
Lucky- (R.I.P)

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 11:12am PST 
Lucille, I know that the American Show Shepherd is still a dog that needs a job and to be worked mentally and physically; but not to the same extent as dogs bred for PP. Or if I'm remembering corectly the East German dogs (correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember one side being much more intense than the other, more so than the breed was intended for). And of course health is a concern as well, a lot of the problems common in the breed plagued my childhood shepherd who was from a BYB.

And oh yes, Mulder, they are at the very top of my list to get in contact with! big grin But I also didn't want to limit myself so early on just for looking sakes, even if just for the sake of finding things I like and don't like. They're my top choice as of right now, but wanted to put out some feelers.

And I don't fault them for breeding with color in mind, as long as it isn't the only thing just like Mulder said, then it is all good. I myself am partial to the traditional black and tan but also love the look of sables. Everybody has a preference.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Lenny, Dec 9 7:37 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.