GO!

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > HGE almost killed my dog. No causes, no prevention, no closure. Thoughts on this affliction?
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 2:41pm PST 
Zelda was diagnosed with HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) this week, and barely survived the ordeal. She spent 2 days at the emergency vet on constant fluids, and didn't eat for 3 days. Now at home we're past the diarrhea and lack of appetite, but her skin has blown up and she's itching herself raw.

The doctors did a wonderful job, but they have no real confirmations for me on why this happened. HGE is the most vague affliction I've ever heard of, with hundreds of possible causes, but no real evidence of anything. How am I supposed to prevent something if I have no idea why it happened?

The only clue we have is a lamb ear that Zelda ate the night before symptoms started. It was the only thing I fed to Zelda but not to her brother Charlie. It was also the first treat out of a package that I had never tried before. It was sourced from Best Bully Sticks and was made in the US, but I have no other leads.

Has anyone else had experience with HGE, and have you discovered what the cause was?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 8 3:11 pm

Behavior & Training > I know how to deal with aggressive reaction, but how do I curve excited reaction?
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 6:01am PST 
I've spent most of Charlie's life dealing with his problems, but rarely ever get a chance to work with Zelda. She's got a good temperament (thank goodness), but has odd little behaviors here and there that we've always shrugged off because they were harmless. Now that we're looking to move into our own apartment in the fall, I've really gotta work with her on her excitement issues.

Zelda gets very excited for human attention, and will march in place, walk in circles and bark. It's cute, but the barking is loud and I don't want angry neighbors. We have this problem a lot on walks as well, when she sees other dogs. She loves dogs and goes to the dog park frequently, but on a leash she'll lunge and bark excitedly. It looks and sounds terrible and people think she's aggressive.

How do I teach her to chill out a little-- or at least just quiet down? Any tips or tricks are so very appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 21 9:49 am

Dog Health > my husky dog doesn't gain weight!! pls help!!

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 1:04pm PST 
As long as she's not very underweight, or losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Zelda is naturally slender, and I haven't been able to put any fat on her. High quality, high protein diets have put a softening layer of muscle on her, but she never gets any heavier. Our vet says she is on the borderline of ideal and underweight, but is very healthy, so we don't worry over her.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 25 6:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Introducing Ginger, Maxwell's little sister....

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 2:16am PST 
Spays slow a metabolism down? I've never heard that before. Zelda is spayed and I can't put any weight on her, no matter how hard I try.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 1:24 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to Dogster, new to raw food diet- lots of ques...

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:19am PST 
1) what type of detoxification process is normal?

I don't think there's really any scientific reasoning behind the idea of "detox", but I consider it to be the period of time that it takes your dog to adjust onto a raw diet. We just started raw up again and are already experience "detox", where the dogs are shedding mucous with their stool. I don't believe that they're "shedding toxins" or anything like that, but their bodies are obviously reacting to the new diet and adjusting accordingly.

That being said, I think a newbie reaction to the raw diet can include: slightly loose stools, mucous in stools, bone shards in stool, and possible vomit of bone shards. It's also very possible that dogs will continue to have allergy symptoms and poor coat/skin health for several weeks before progress is made.

2) While he detoxes, would it be normal for him to get puss pockets on his paws ( or should I assume this is from his allergies & licking)

I don't think this is a normal reaction to the raw diet, but your dog's body may just need to take time to get over these symptoms. I'd clean that area regularly and make sure it doesn't cycle around as hot spots.

3) While living the raw food lifestyle, should we also try to ween him off of his antigen allergy medication?

As Vance said, wait until your dog is adjusted first. I do think it's worth trying to get him off steroids.. I hate the use of them for allergies and I've seen them do a lot more harm than good-- but it's not the time to stop unless your dog is good and stable.

4) Can I look forward to him naturally excreting his anal glands with this new diet?

I think this is more of a dog-to-dog basis issue. Zelda has never had a problem with her anal glands and continued to express naturally on raw. Charlie's gland fill up regardless of his diet. Even after 2 years of eating only raw, he still expressed them whenever he was spooked or reactive.

5) Does anyone have a similar story to mine; with a happy ending ? ..as we will not find a cure for his allergies, I would like to keep him as comfortable as possible on this new diet - with the main goal always being to keep him as itch- free as possible.

I used to help out a Malinois named Lincoln on this forum several years ago with a very similar story. He was on steroids for his allergies, and was able to ween off of them with time. I searched for his previous posts but all the pictures have been taken down frown.. he had a lot of great comparrison pictures that showed Lincoln's rashes disappearing, hair regrowing and muscle bulking up.

Hope you find what you're looking for with the diet smile. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 20 3:00 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:09pm PST 
You shouldn't get a mutt if you're not prepared for uncertainties and surprises.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 9:29 am

Raw Food Diet > Supplementing the meat?

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 5:05pm PST 
A lot of beef bones are too thick to crunch through, but larger breeds can handle ribs and oxtail without a problem.

Making a deal with a slaughterhouse can be really awesome, and supply you with a lot of cheap stuff you wouldn't find elsewhere. I used to have a hook-up with a private beef processor who would just throw stuff in a box the day I came to pick-up.. random stuff, but all the freshest it could possibly be. I got a lot of spleen, whole oxtails (really big!), and tracheas. On one occasion he gave me a 40 pound box of scrap meat which was basically meat that had slimy fat or blood clots, so gross for people but the dogs adored it. If you tell them that you're open to things that are not human-grade, they may hook you up with yucky bits like that that are still fine for dogs.

Sorry about the bug trouble, that sounds tough frown. Diatomaceous earth can definitely help your yard. Pet supply stores often carry essential oil (peppermint oil, etc) sprays also to hook up to a hose and treat your yard. Sadly, I don't have any other advice for that. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 12 5:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplementing the meat?

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 11:31am PST 
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up Dante smile.

Tripe is, in my opinion, the best digestive aid you can find, even though it can cause a bit of loose stool if not introduced correctly. It's packed with good bacteria and helps regulate the gut just as a probiotic supplement does.

For bugs, garlic can certainly help in the right dosage. The only downside I found to garlic was that sometimes it gave my dogs really stinky farts silenced.

We use a mixture of Neem Oil and Citronella in a spray bottle (made by Ark Naturals) to keep bugs at bay. Before each walk or a trip to the dog park, the dogs can sprayed down good. Any certain bug you're having problems with?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 12 5:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Big Mouth

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 9:02pm PST 
I always recommend that raw (ESPECIALLY meals that include bone) be fed once a day rather than twice a day. If I fed my dogs raw meaty bones that weighed half of their daily intake, it would be a real choking hazard.

I have two "gulpers" (dogs that eat very fast), and I always have to be cautious feeding raw. Any meal they get needs to either be so large that it forces them to chew-- or cut into small pieces to prevent choking, and boneless meals are not exempt from this.

The scariest moment of my life was giving Charlie a 1-pound hunk of solid pork and watching him try to swallow it whole.. the next 30 seconds after he spiraled around the room gagging and then by some miracle he managed to hack it up. Since then, I have taken no chances with him. If your gut tells you that it's dangerous, don't feel bad about feeding by hand.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 26 4:21 pm

Raw Food Diet > How do your dogs feel about eating kibble?
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 4:50pm PST 
Honestly, they still love it. Both of my dogs were eating only raw over 2 years time, and when some aspects of my life changed, I switched them cold turkey to Acana and they gobbled it up. They've been on most all dry food for the past 8 months, and have eaten every meal without a fuss. Now that I'm planning to start raw, they get a little raw snack here and there, and they do seem to value it higher than kibble.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 8:06 am

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.