Postings by Conker

GO!

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > What do you feed your dog and why did you choose that brand?
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 7:49pm PST 
Right now I feed three foods:
Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete Protein/fat ratio, it's cheap, and my dogs do great on it.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie 'Cause I've fed it a while and like it as a low-cost grain-free option.
Orijen Adult I have a dog with problems, he gets speshul (expensive) food.

Three of the dogs are getting a 60/40 mix of the Diamond EA and the Taste of the Wild. I am feeding a mix because I went out of town and forgot my kibble, had to buy more, and just felt like mixing the two when I got back. I switch it up every bag or so to avoid nutrient excess/deficiencies 'cause no kibble has the same level of nutrients and some of them bother me (if fed long-term) despite me really liking the food. Other brands I use are: EVO, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Earthborn Holistic, Canidae, and Fromm.

I pick dogfoods based on a few things. First is the protein level. It's gotta be at least 30%, higher is better. Next is fat, lowest I'll go is 15% but I prefer to see 18% or more. I chose foods with higher levels of protein/fat 'cause my dogs do much better on them than lower protein/fat foods. Ingredients, I like them to be named, high-quality, and preferably not a million fractions (the same thing many times with a different name) and I don't care for there to be ten billion other ingredients either (like blueberries way the heck at the bottom of the list). I don't care if it's grain-free, but if it is, I don't like peas. I hate how that's the fad now. I will feed foods with peas but I prefer they not be there or just make up a small fraction of the food.
No wheat, corn, or soy 'cause I have a dog that has issues with those things (digestive intolerance, not allergies, different problems).
I really like 30/20 or higher foods, the kind made for high-energy active/sporting/working dogs. I'm going to try this out soon: Native Level 4.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 15 6:41 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Pomsky?
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 1:02am PST 
Most of those pictures of "Pomsky" puppies are actually Finnish Lapphund pups, I've seen a few of mislabeled Malamute pups too.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Talah CGC, Jan 11 4:53 pm

Dog Health > Okay, incontinence. What now?

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 10:21pm PST 
I've met two incontinent dogs. One is my own, Sasha, who was spayed before her first heat (she's 7 1/2 now). Sasha is on proin and that works good for her. The other is Nora, an intact pointer-type sleddog. I have no idea why she is incontinent, but Sasha's is due to being altered.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

Dog Health > What monthly preventives do you use...? Heartgard, flea and tick...anything else..?

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 9:48pm PST 
None. Not monthly anyways.

I give liquid ivermectin in the summer months, 45 days apart, but only when it's consistently above 57 degrees. For fleas and ticks I do a light dusting of diatomacous earth every now and then and groomings with a metal toothed flea comb at least once a week and after every hike.
I deworm twice a year and rotate between fenbendazole and pyrantel pamoate, or deworm as needed according to species.
I get the diatomaceous earth from an herb shop and all the dewormers from the feedstore. I do everything myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 8 12:54 pm

Raw Food Diet > back on full raw!

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 2:43pm PST 
Awesome! Once I'm done with these last two small bags of kibble, my mutts are going full-raw until my freezer full of free meat is gone. Unless, of course, I get another score...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Neeko, May 4 6:42 pm

Food & Nutrition > Latest news article on "quality control" for food in China...this may make you sick
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 8:08pm PST 
I've got a simple solution to this problem: Me and mine don't eat anything that originates from China anywhere in the chain of supply.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 4 7:07 pm

Raw Food Diet > Partial RAW?

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:26pm PST 
I crack the egg for them and smush up the shell if I give that to them. Usually not though, they normally just get the egg insides.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Zoe, May 4 3:52 am

Raw Food Diet > Partial RAW?

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:46am PST 
It depends on the individual dog. Most dogs are fine with mixing food types together. Every once in a while one pops up that can't handle it.
You'll never know if you don't try.

Anywho, I feed half and half all the time. One of my dogs is on full-time whole foods, but the mixes get half and half. Sometimes as separate meals but usually mixed together. Never had an issue doing it that way.
I'll mix in some type of meat, mainly beef and pork (since that's what I've currently got) and sometimes I'll give them a chicken leg or chunk of turkey neck. I also give them liver fairly frequently so that everything evens out.
They also get eggs, yogurt, pizza crusts, and all sorts of other leftovers. Leftovers make up about 20% of their diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Zoe, May 4 3:52 am

Raw Food Diet > Dried green tripe

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 11:00pm PST 
If it's ever been frozen the probiotics have been killed. I don't know what the drying process would do to it, but if it got warm enough they'd probably die too. Canning... If it's high pressure processed then they are probably dead. If it's cooked they are probably dead.

I don't know about the enzymes though, I haven't done much research on that stuff.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 2 7:32 am

Raw Food Diet > What are you all doing to actually save any money on raw? Cause it costs me more
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 1:02pm PST 
I don't spent more than:
$2.00lb for beef
$1.70lb for pork
$0.70lb for turkey
$0.75lb for chicken
$2.00lb for (beef) liver
Other meats I rarely feed, and only if I can find for under $2.00lb. I do feed some things like eggs, canned oysters, fishes, and clams, oats, and rice, but those cost me hardly anything in the long-run.

I've got a freezer full of free meat I got off craigslist. That saved me a ton of money right there.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , May 6 2:36 pm

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.