Postings by Graciella Louisa (Gracie)

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog for chronic migraine disorder
Graciella- Louisa- (Gracie)

OCD- Occupational- Companion Dog

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 10:00am PST 
Thank you for your responses... He also has taken adult meds. I hate to shoot down all your ideas, it really means a lot that you are trying to be helpful.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Sep 15 6:44 am

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 10:34am PST 
Thank you for the information. We have tried literally every medical and non medical option, including things we had to go out of the country for because he is a minor, but nothing helps his pain. If a medicine could help, we would try it in a second, but we are really looking for a last resort at this point. He has also gone to headache centers around the country and been through countless of the worlds finest neurologists. For now, all we can do is keep him as comfortable as possible and try to help him do his life. So this may be the only chance he has at leading a normal life.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Sep 15 6:44 am

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 10:42am PST 
My twin brother suffers from a chronic disabling migraine disorder. This doesn't mean the occasional migraine, he has a debilitating migraine all the time with no breaks. Our just there year old Wheaten Terrier, Moxie, has been such an amazing help through his struggle. Obviously, he is unable to attend school or really even go out.
Anyway, I was thinking that Moxie would be great as his service dog. A lot of the time, the pain is so bad that he can barely breathe and he has a lot of trouble balancing during these episodes. He also cannot handle light or loud noise, so perhaps she could carry sunglasses and earplugs to bring to him when he is in too much pain to realize he needs them and get them himself. What do you guys think? Any tips or ideas? I really just want to make him able to live his life. Tips on how to train for these tasks would be appreciated too! Thank you so much in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Sep 15 6:44 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Training to find an exit

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 12:20pm PST 
Does anyone have experience with training your dog to find an exit? How did you do it? I'm trying to get Gracie to do it, but I'm having some trouble. Please help!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rico Suave, Apr 10 3:31 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to Help

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 3:06pm PST 
I have started to become quite passionate about service dogs (psychiatric service dogs in particular). Sadly, my mom will not allow me to train service dogs for other people in her house at the moment, but I still want to make a difference. I have been considering starting some sort of service dog charity organization (it would probably just be me and I would start like a website or something) and I would do fundraisers and start projects in my area to educate the public on service dogs. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help out the SD community? I am only a teenager, which limits me a bit, but I know that even a teenager can make an impact if they care enough! What exactly shoud I raise money for? I want to raise money to help pay for a service dog for someone who needs one, but I'm not sure how to find someone who is looking for a service dog, but cannot pay. Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mali, Apr 9 6:38 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog Etiquette- Laws vs. SD community

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 8:13pm PST 
Personally, I think that as long as a dog is out of the way of people, and is behaving appropriately (not barking, growling, biting, etc.) it should be welcome in public. The point is to blend in, so as long as the dog isn't bothering anyone, it can't be a problem to have it in public (as long as it is actually needed). Obviously it is greatly appreciated if a dog is outstandingly well behaved and stays at a perfect heal, never sniffs the ground or looks around, and sits at the right times, but again, as long as it isn't bothering me or anyone else, it's perfectly fine. Many people are more annoying and intrusive than any service dog, real or fake, I find! wink
Just my humble opinion.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Mar 19 3:42 pm

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 11:29am PST 
Thanks for sharing all your opinions, guys! Obviously, we all have very different opinions, but its nice to be able to share them without putting other people down or upsetting anyone, do try not to direct your posts against anyone, and if someone says something you disagree with, just ignore it and talk about your thoughts only, no need to mention theirs. I'm so glad to hear what everyone thinks!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Mar 19 3:42 pm

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 4:27pm PST 
Service dogs, per the law, must not be disruptive and must not fundamentally alter the business (or something along those lines), but just becaue a dog is task trained and doesn't bark doesnt make it a service dog, per the SD community. The laws seem to be pretty leanient, but I know the service dog community always tries to keep a high standard.
What exactly does the law say about how well behaved a service dog must be?
And what do you think is generally accepted as a rule within the community?

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on how well behaved a service dog should/must be in public, and on how a handler should treat the dog (feeding, babying, etc.).
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Mar 19 3:42 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SD handlers, your favorite working leash?

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 4:34pm PST 
I just like a normal 6 foot leash i believe it is, and I put the loop on my belt, so i don't have to use my hands. It seems to work, but Gracie is so little, so you might need something more.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 13 1:18 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Little Service Dogs?

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 8:28pm PST 
Does anyone have any tips or info?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 10 7:11 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.