Postings by Jackson Tan

GO!

(Page 1 of 262: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Dog snapping twice this week..very scary..
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 7:31am PST 
Cohen is absolutely right about the cortisol issue, after a very stressful event dogs reactions can be magnified for up to a few weeks, it has happened to my dog before. The solution was to calm everything down at home and remove all the things that would normally trigger/upset him (I even changed his walking schedule to night time to avoid barking dogs) until I was certain the cortisol surge had left his system. This is also why it is imperative for his comfort and your safety to teach him to come off furniture when told and not have to physically move him as an air snap is the next stop on the map before a real bite, and he has escalated.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Frankie, Apr 8 2:48 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog snapping twice this week..very scary..
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 3:34am PST 
Vet check first of all. Ask them to check his hips and knees as they could be paining him and causing the growling/reaction when made to move. Any sudden change/amping in behaviour needs to be investigated by a vet promptly. Also I recommend a thyroid test.

He could also be resource guarding the bed. As he has been growling a long time he knows it works and hasn't hesitated to escalate.

No more sleeping on the bed for now. What I would do (given it's not a health issue) is teach him on and off, non negotiable commands that will make it safe for him to be on the bed. To this end I would use target stick training. Teach him to nose the stick in gradual increments, treating, and eventually you can invite him onto the bed and then use the stick to lure him down. Continual repetitions at this stage will condition him to the on and off command.

It will also be worth your while calling a trainer. You need to pull out every stop before even considering rehoming him. Also understand a dog that snaps is not considered desirable, no matter how small and cuddly, and he would be at serious risk for euthanasia. I'm not saying this to upset you, it's just the truth of the matter.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Frankie, Apr 8 2:48 pm

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 3:10am PST 
I think dogs that are always walked in a structured way are perfectly happy, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Service dogs working come to mind, content walking politely at heel all day.

Personally I know, having a fearful and reactive dog, that marking can amp him up/increase adrenaline as he can get obsessive about it. It is actually kinder to disallow the behaviour so he has a chance to calm down. Over sniffing can also contribute to stress and cause reactive outbreaks.

I agree with everything Cohen said. Jackson gets to be a dog all day long, lots of play and offlead time, walks are to get from point a to b and training most of the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 3:20am PST 
Dogs are not children. children are not dogs. The two cannot be compared.

There is nothing wrong with a structured walk. I'm not a dominance nut but I do see the value of enforcing obedience to control reactivity.

A reactive dog should not be walking out front of handler sniffing and pissing and doing what it wants. How on earth can the dog make eye contact with you from there? It's fine to sniff and mark some of the walk, but if there other dogs around and your dog is aggressive it needs to be obeying heel, and focused on the handler.

This is the same for a clicker trainer or a dog on the prong. The dog needs to focus on you so he cannot focus on blowing up. Whether you are clicking a trigger and treating or correcting on the prong the dog needs to be by your side.

I would not be so fast to poo poo the benefits of a structured walk. All the reactive dogs I see are the ones in their own world 'being a dog' and not concentrating on the person at the other end of the lead. It's not helping them recover, at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs who are breedist

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 4:12am PST 
Jackson gets aggressive at any staffy or pitbull type dog, and I mean aggressive. It's guaranteed if its a male, even if the male is showing submissive body language. Females can be fine but not always. I put it down to his general same sex aggression and a male english staffordshire trying to take his face off two years ago. Just the sight of one can put him into a rage.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Mar 10 4:12 am

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 19, '14 11:34pm PST 
The dog snob one will be up when it's finished, for now it's down while it's all fixed up. It was only ever gonna be up for a little while for testing so that's why it's gone now. It was supposed to be a surprise lol but I guess me and Tiller blew that. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 373 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Coping with loss.

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 11:52pm PST 
Dear god! I am so sorry. This is the most horrible news.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:43 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 11:40pm PST 
I'm really saddened by this news. Even though I don't come here very much dogster changed my life for the better the moment I joined 3 years ago.

If someone makes a new forum I will join.

I know many here aren't keen on fb but for those who are I am thinking about doing a 'friends of dogster' secret group there. When friends of friends of friends all add each other, I think it could become quite a nice chat community. Please let me know if there is any interest in this, I'm just feeling things out now.

Very sad to be losing raw forum and Maxwell's expertise most of all ... Not to mention the transport network. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 541 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Questions about body language

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 12:54am PST 
It sounds to me as if Shadow is having a huge adrenaline spike and probably doesn't even know what the heck she is doing. I don't think she could really teach a puppy to do that though, I mean, puppies learn body language in the litter pretty fast, the only thing she might do is infect pup with her energy if she's getting overwhelmed. I agree it might be the root of some of her problems with other dogs, if Jackson saw a dog doing that he probably would freak. (To be fair though it doesn't take much to make him freak out.) I don't think I've ever seen a dog doing what you describe, but without a video I can't be sure, I think I'd have to see it to assess it properly.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 16 9:07 am

Behavior & Training > Scent Rolling on weird things
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 9:07am PST 
Mine only scent rolls on ME, and only my neck and head when I'm lying down. I swear he's trying to smother me. I guess he wants all the other dogs to know I'm his, lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 9 9:07 am

(Page 1 of 262: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.