GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Behavior & Training > Littermates
Sadie and- Oakley

Twice the dog ~- Twice the- trouble :p

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 9:57pm PST 
Sadie and Oakley are littermates over herewave

Except we brought them home at the same time at 5 months old. They are now a year and a half are doing well. The big thing we did to make sure they didn't bond together tightly was separation. That was the key! They had different walks, we played with them separately, trained separately, etc. We had to be very diligent about it because if we didn't I'm pretty sure they would be completely different dogs that rely on each other instead of me, but that rarely happens. A few times if Sadie or Oakley had ti to go to the vet and we left one behind, they stressed a little bit, but as soon as we left, they calmed down and we returned to a happy relaxed dog. Now that they are older I do take them on walks together because they enjoy wrestling and chasing each other for the ball and it tires them out quicker, but I always leave training separate and occasional walks are separate. I also take them to the dog park together and they actually would rather not be together and find different dogs to play with.

When we went to the dog park once there was a man who brought in two dogs that were littermates and can I say all hell broke loose. They stuck to each other and wanted nothing to do with other dogs and snapped at other dogs that came near the two of them. That's an example of the wrong way to handle having littermates. They probably got littermates just so they could entertain each other and they wouldn't have to worry about exercisig and playing with the dogs but hey I don't like to judge others.

Even though they are coming at different times, they're still young and I would really push the idea of doing separate activities with each dog an some together. That way they learn human and sibling interaction are equal and just as fun. Also if you plan on crating or already crate training them, separate kennels are best smile

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Oogie Bear, Jul 28 3:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Things you didn't 'intentionally' teach, but like.
Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Wed Jul 13, '11 12:58am PST 
Like you "go to bed" was just a common occurrence and they learned it really fast without actually teaching it. As soon as I say it they head off for their crate for the night.

"outside" means let's go out in the back. They automatically head fir the back door when I say outside and then once outside I let them know whether it's "potty" or "play" time.

I think one of the more convenient ones I accidentally taught was difference between dog park and walk when getting out their leashes. They get so excited when I get out their leashes that I was always telling what we r doing such as ready for a walk or let's go to the park to see your friends they soon learned that when It came to "walk" that they are to wait by the door sitting until their leash is clipped on but with "park" meant I let themm out into the garage without leashes on and they wait by the car door to jump in.

One I wish I didn't emphasize... "treat" laugh out loud I can wake Oakley up from deep sleep with that one word no kidding. laugh out loud

Also I taught them "wait" too. It came mostly from telling them to "wait" to open the door when we got to the park because they get too excited. Like you said "stay" means stay don't move or else kind of thing mainly on walks for sit-stays as dogs walk by to work on calmness on walks. "wait" means chill for two seconds I'll be right with you

I think the main ones I have actually trained and work on all tje time are sit, stay, down, paw, roll over, recall, and all sorts of other tricks and basics
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Biscuit, Jul 14 8:22 pm

Behavior & Training > "Down" or stop jumping up on every single person

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 8:50pm PST 
so lately especially I've been having a issue with the girls jumping up and wantin attention from every single person they see whether it be at on a walk, in our home, or at the dog park. Sadie and Oakley like dogs but they LOVE human attention more. So when we go to the dog park they like to chase around other dogs but as soon as someone new comes in they have to go and jump up and scratch at their legs. It mostly more constant recently because I think I've been taking them to the dog park more with it being summer so they are seeing more and more people then usual

So what's a good way to teach them "down" and to Ignore humans no matter how much they want to see them.

I know I need to desentisize them with strangers more but I think working within the home first is our first step. Well actually the first step is getting members within the home to stop encouraging it then teaching them down.

Another thing is most people at the dog park when I apologize for their behavior they say "oh it's okay" but it's not I don't want them to do it and it needs to stop incase they do it to someone who does not want dogs to crawl up their leg or small children (which is usually is nit an issue but they are doing it more consistently lately so im not 100% they wouldn't do it anymore to a child)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mr. Pibbs *CGC*, Jul 10 2:02 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Do you ever wonder if you should let someone adopt a puppy from you?

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 6:07pm PST 
I would be concerned about adopting out two puppies just because of the amount of work one puppy takes. Im glad that you are worried for the safety and the homes of each puppy and i believe if you ever doubt someone or feel it isnt right, i would go with your gut and find two differet homes for them
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jul 5 1:50 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Close call with 2 large off-leash dogs

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 12:52pm PST 
We had a similar experience with two bull mastiffs. With small dogs charging us I pick up my girls with larger dogs like the two bull mastiffs I leave them on the ground and block them putting my whole body in front of them with my hand straight out and yell at them ti leave. It did stop them for a second but with no owner to control them (they got out of the yard without owner knowing) they realized my dogs were a big threat to their territory and they attacked. Luckily such commotion was loud enough for the owner and he came running out tk grab them.

I took my two girls to the vet and were told to call animal control, but we ended up not because the guy was SUPER responsible by paying our $200 vet bill, sending us both of his dogs vet/vaccination records, and even called a few hours later to ask how they were doing. And our animal control sucks they wouldn't do anything and probably not even one out to investigate with the small injuries my girls sustained. They were not as hurt as much as I thought they were. Sadie only had two puncture wounds and a large scratch on her belly and Oakley was actually unharmed just traumatized. It was also a first

You can try animal control if they are more reliable then the police. I can't remember if they were on our street or not but be more cautious when around their home. We rarely pass by the house of the home of the two bull mastiffs because 1) mentally Oakley is just so traumatized that I have to carry across the area because she just shuts down and 2) the fence they are contained by is not a completely safe to contain them.

I hopefully you can find a solution to this.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fenrir, Jun 21 6:43 pm

Small Dogs > Does your dog like to swim?
Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '11 2:33pm PST 
No water lovers here, more like water haters in this house. Sadie and Oakley book it out of the place when the hose or the bath water turns on
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by ♥ DarlaMae ♥, Jun 30 6:36 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Starting a homemade dog treat business....

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 8:16pm PST 
Congrats on the business smile

I don't really have any good ideas to throw out haha but making it personal by using Remi and Monster (I'm in love with these two cuties smile ) is a great idea!!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Remington, Jun 24 9:38 am

Behavior & Training > Oh-uh! Rebelling puppy

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 6:30am PST 
Oh the teenage rebelling stage. Sadie and Oakley both went through that 8-9 months at the same time so u had to unruly girls who didn't plan on listening anytime soon. Patience is key. We worked on training 5 min a day for 5 times a day randomly either goig back to the basics or a refresher.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Glacier, Jun 6 9:42 am

Behavior & Training > Really!? Some people.... -rant- need some advice too *Srry long*

Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 2:36pm PST 
I think it was a territorial thing. When the dog approached us I was standing still with the girls right by my side talking to my brother. When we left and were in motion the dog charged us. She also charged a walking passerby but didn't bother any kids within the playground and sand
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sadie and Oakley, May 31 2:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Really!? Some people.... -rant- need some advice too *Srry long*
Sadie and- Oakley

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 8:45pm PST 
There isnt any leash laws specifically. there are always dog off leash with their owners but theyr are ALWAYS under control.

we don't have our own city sherrif because technically we aren't really a city although we are given our own zipcode. We have to rely on private owned security gaurds that don't do much...

When they got attacked by the two bullmastiffs that got out of their yard, we would have had to call animal control but they don't do anything so we didnt...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sadie and Oakley, May 31 2:36 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.