Postings by Duke

GO!

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Craigslist - Raw Meat
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:07pm PST 
I always get flagged on CL, but I've had lots of luck on Freecycle. I just use judgment...if the people seem "normal," then I'm OK with feeding the meat. I've never had a problem and gotten 200+ pounds of meat over the last couple years.

I take whatever they have. I don't ask people to dig through their own garbage, essentially (since it's something they'll throw out, anyway). I've gotten seasoned stuff that I just threw out myself.

My experience is that people are more willing to give you what they have if they don't have to pick it over first.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duke, Apr 11 7:07 pm

Raw Food Diet > If allergic to Chicken can I feed Duck?
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:09pm PST 
Duke is highly allergic to chicken.

He tolerates duck and turkey just fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lacey, Mar 31 9:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:38pm PST 
bump
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 10 12:56 am

Raw Food Diet > Specifically what meats to feed?

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:38pm PST 
Read Chance's "Beginner's Guide" and Charlie's "Guide to Proteins." I just bumped them to the top.

Yes, turkey and chicken are fine for bone (watch the cuts depending on size of the dog). But turkey and chicken alone are not enough. You want to aim for 50% red meat. Are you including organ? The diet is incomplete with it.

The frog, dove, etc. would be fine here and there. But you still want 50% red meat.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nyota, Mar 27 7:47 am

Raw Food Diet > Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:35pm PST 
bump
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 13 1:59 am

Da Cat`s Meow! > Meow Word Scramble Game
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:25am PST 
Duke has both food and environmental allergies.

Are you on pre-made, commercial raw, or do you make your own? Either way, I would try a completely different protein. Eliminate lamb entirely for at least two weeks, try a new protein, and see if the itching gets better. If so, then lamb is the culprit.

Also, check the ingredient list on that supplement. Does it contain flax or other grains? Duke used to get Nupro as a supplement and he reacted to something in it. As soon as I took out the Nupro, his red/itchy skin went away.

Duke is allergic to lamb, chicken, and grains. I know how frustrating food allergies can be!

ETA: I would *definitely* try eliminating the Transfer Factor first. I just looked up the ingredient list and it contains soybean, flaxseed, and sunflower oils, as well as chicken liver and eggs. Any of these could potentially be allergens. There's also mushroom, turkey, yeast, and olive leaf--I don't know if those could be allergens too. I suspect it's a possibility.

Try eliminating the supplement and see what happens! Remember that you have to keep it out of the diet for at LEAST 2 weeks. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1308 posts. Last posting by Bugsy, May 8 9:10 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Stela

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:14am PST 
I would hold off on trying to pack on weight until the dental issues are addressed.

Duke just had a dental procedure last week and he is still on mushy food for the next two weeks. Chewing is not fun for him right now. If your girl has an infection, I suspect it's painful to chew. Plus, sounds like she's new to your home? A change in environment will affect appetite.

Hopefully you can get her in for that potentially infected tooth ASAP. An abscessed tooth is nothing to mess around with. Does the vet know about your suspicion of an infection? You might mention it, if not. I can't imagine a vet would want to wait several weeks to address something like that. And they may want to clear the infection before doing the cleaning. Just a few things I learned recently from Duke's chipped tooth!

Poor girl. Good for you for rescuing her! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Mar 17 3:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Main meat/ Mixing Protein

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:41pm PST 
Liver is essential to the diet--it's not optional.

Try cutting it in very small small pieces, freezing in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then lifting the frozen pieces off with a spatula and tossing in a freezer bag. Feed little bits at a time as treats while still frozen. Gradually increase the size of your pieces, if you'd like.

Some dogs don't like the texture. Feeding liver frozen seems to work for a lot of dogs.

Also, CAUTION on pork chop bones. They are mechanically sawed and usually very sharp. I would never feed a pork chop bone.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Dozer, Mar 11 1:47 pm

Raw Food Diet > Who's got your Goat?

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:35pm PST 
I feed a lot of goat. Good stuff:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-pro ducts/4637/2
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duke, Mar 5 6:35 pm

Raw Food Diet > Acidophilus
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 3:47pm PST 
Depends on the number of live organisms per pill. I would check the label for dosage. Duke's holistic vet recommends 20 million to 500 million live organisms per dose/per day.

Also check the strain(s). Not all probiotic supplements are the same. See this summary from a very reliable source:

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html#probiotics
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Conker, Mar 2 4:59 pm

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.