Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 11:40am PST 
Mervyn. You sound like a commercial.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jul 24 6:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > Venison Liver Nutritional Data
Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 11:37am PST 
I have scoured the internet and have yet to find the nutritional data for Venison Liver. Particularly the Vitamin A content or Retinol content... Anyone have that info? I regularly feed venison liver and was wondering if Vitamin A toxicity could be part of Louies problem. I was also using dehydrated beef liver treats and am worried that it could have been too much vitamin A. If so I need to stop feeding liver for a while?? Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jul 24 6:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > Is it Liver and Red Meat or is it Resiketochlor

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 11:12am PST 
Hi Vance,
Thanks so much for that input. Sounds like Liver Biopsy is not worth the trouble. Crazy
Taking Louie to a new vet for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 14 12:50 am

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 7:26am PST 
Oh, and in answer to your questions..
No flea and tick stuff with the exception of spray made with essential oils like catnip, cedarwood, neem, etc.
No heartworm meds. I have them checked twice a year instead.
No chemicals at home for the most part. Detergent is essential oils, I mop the floors with thieves and vinegar.
Basically, the Resiketochlor stands out as the lone toxin.
Did I mention that I was having all kinds of symptoms I now realize could be the Ketoconazole? Unexplained skin sensations all over my body of hot and cold. hives, blisters on my chest, where Louie rubs his head, mood swings, unexplained depression when I seriously had no clue why I was upset. The blisters were so bad I went to the Dr. because I thought I had shingles. I even had my Dr. test me for dog allergies, because I kept getting hives.
IMO this stuff is nothing to mess with and is not a viable solution for skin issues in pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 12:50 am

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 7:16am PST 
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the input. Just wondering how much liver I would actually have to "over" feed to cause some kind of Copper poisoning to his liver.... ??
I'm figuring treats included, I would have only possibly fed maximum twice as much...
Earlier this week, I had the impression that "like" helps "like".. you know, a homeopathic approach and that Louie was benefiting from the liver, so I continued to feed it. At this point, temporarily, I think I will suspend feeding liver, at least until he gets his ultrasound and possibly another CBC in thirty days.
Then I guess the only way I will know if its the liver or the Perscription Lotion, is to have a third CBC in another month, after I resume feeding liver. What do you guys think?
I have no idea how much a biopsy costs, but I can tell you its not good for Louie to go under if that is required. He does not breath well with his smooshy face.
I agree with you about the Resiketochlor and hope that others heed the warning. Just because the reviews or details on Resiketochlor say "No Know Side Effects" the ingredient list should have been my red flag. I read somewhere on one of the sites that Ketoconazole is not even approved by the FDA.
Dr. Jean Dodds sort of indicated she suspected a chemical cause as well.
I love that woman. She is a phenominal human being and we would be blessed to have more vets like her.
All of this has also taught me another lesson. If you don't have a vet that fully supports raw feeding, your tail end is kind of hanging in the breeze if something goes wrong, because its always easier to blame the raw feeding than admit fault of another kind.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 12:50 am

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 4:49pm PST 
Hi I haven't posted in a while. The boys have been fine for the most part. So much so, that I only took them to the vet to have a thorough check up. Part of that is an annual CBC. Well Louies CBC BUN levels came back borderline high last year, but I assumed it was possibly due to raw feeding as others had said they experienced the same thing. I let it slide. This year Louies BUN levels were higher and his ALT levels were very high 929. The vet was concerned and said she wanted me to have a Bile Acid Test done. We did that last week. His resting Bile levels are 29, Post Prandial is 88. Thats pretty high. So, now I am concerned. Louie is scheduled for an ultrasound on the 10th. Meanwhile, I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how this could have happened. I have narrowed it down to three choices. One, not my most logical, is that Louie dines on Echinacea in the yard. Don't know why, but I always heard it built the immune system so I didn't stop him.
Two, is that Louies vet perscribed Resiketochlor...I have used the leave on lotion every Sunday for about a year. If you google Resiketochlor is says no known side effects.. however upon further investigation, I found out that it has Ketoconazole.. The side affects for that are long and horrid. Number one on Live Strong (Yes it has been prescribed for humans and some have in fact died), is Liver Damage. cry
My vet still hasn't even mentioned that I shouldn't be using it and she knows about it because I mentioned that I thought it was helping Louies skin just a month or so ago. (This is where I could swear and say not nice things).
Three, is that even though I carefully measure out Louies and Tonys in take of Liver (Usually venison since I assumed that was more grass fed and natural) I am also using freeze dried liver treats and have not even considered that it might actually end up being a substantial or considerable amount extra.
The odd things are: Louie is not overweight, not skinny, not lithargic, not stumbling, not drinking in excess (in fact he drinks very little water on raw), not excessive urinating, etc. I never would have known his liver values were so high with the exception of the test and I most assuredly thought it must be an error.
Has anyone ever heard of liver damage due to too much red meat and too much liver. Honestly, if that's it.... The mistake was pretty easy to make.
Thanks guys.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 12:50 am

Raw Food Diet > AVMA to vote on raw feeding, please read

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 11:33am PST 
I agree. This appears to be a shoe horn in and its aimed at companies who produce raw commercial food! My hope is to see things progress in the other direction. Not to see a bunch of Vets get on a band wagon with Corporate America and start passing laws about whether or not I or anyone else can choose to go to a store and purchase raw pet food.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Jul 22 3:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > Allergy dogs on raw? Skin conditions lately?

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 7:13am PST 
Thanks for the input everyone. It's a bit of a comfort to know that other who feed raw still have this issue. Thanks also for the tip on Lemon Juice, etc. Hmmm. as far as the salt water... I don't have access to it as in the ocean, but I could always make a salt water bath. It is helping to bath him. But its killing my back. I so need an upright professional dog bath if I have to do this so often. Ugh. I am already using honey, but thanks to everyone for your input and tips.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Charlie, May 23 8:36 am

Raw Food Diet > Allergy dogs on raw? Skin conditions lately?

Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 11:25am PST 
Good Afternoon,
I haven't written lately. Louie was doing really well. Very minor skin issues and I was happy with his overall health. That was until about March of this year. We had a really early spring this year in St. Louis, the pollen was, and still is herrendous. I get choked up and I don't have a lot of breathing issues normally. But, back to Louie. He is having a major bout with skin lesions. Multiple blister like or crusty sores on his belly, weepy eyes, etc. My vet says its the pollen, but she just put him on a butt load of new supplements. Not that I was totally against supplements, but I spent a long time testing what worked for Louie and what didn't. She changed them all to Standard Process Whole food sups. Now the skin issues are back with a vengence. Before I jump to any conclusions, thought I might ask if other Raw feeders are observing an unusual turn around to skin issues again due to pollen, etc. Louie was doing well for almost a year and had only minor issues compared to now after switching to raw a year and a half ago.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Charlie, May 23 8:36 am

Raw Food Diet > Egg Shell = Bone?
Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 6:57am PST 
I have used egg shell to supplement for bone on occasion since I have to worry about choking for the boys. I was using half a teaspoon, or 1/4 teaspoon per meal twice a day. That was about 800 to 900 mg for a twenty five pound dog according to what I read. The vet said neither of the boys was absorbing the egg shell and switched them to Calcium Carbonate and Calcifood supplement?? (Calcifood is expensive)
I still don't fully understand why they couldn't absorb the calcium from egg shell. thinkingshrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 9 7:06 am

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.