GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Puppy Place > Our first Barkbox..
CGC,RTD,AKC- Brake's- LoneRanger

Aussie, Aussie,- Aussie, Oy, Oy,- Oy!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:14am PST 
We LOVE BarkBox! I love the quality of the items included in the boxes, and that most of the treats,chews,etc are made in the US. My pups and I have done three video reviews of the April, May, and June boxes. Not sure how to share on here, but if anyone wants to view them, just send me a message! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Aug 12 9:10 am

Food & Nutrition > Which puppy food to feed

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 3:17pm PST 
Is there any way you can contact your local pet food store to see if they will order a specific brand for you? I know our local stores are amazing about that! I personally feed mine Fromm. They are family-owned and have never had a recall. (I can't say that last part about the majority of the brands you mentioned). I have called Fromm several times to ask about ingredients/serving amounts,etc. Their customer service is fantastic, and they went out of their way to help me! I'm sure if you email them and ask about samples, they could send a few samples your way to see if your new puppy will like their food. That way, you at least have the option to order online (and use coupons/promo codes on shipping) if you can't get your local stores to carry it.

I really recommend the Fromm Four Star Grain Free Game Bird Recipe(dry). That is what I feed to my three dogs. It is an all-stages formula, so you can definitely put your new puppy on it. (Should you ever decide to rotate foods at some point, they have several other grain-frees in their lines (and grain as well) that you can easily rotate with.)

I would ask your breeder to give you a bit of the food your dog is already, so that you can slowly transition your pup onto the new food once it arrives. A slow transition is the best bet to avoid upsetting their tummy and added stress. When I transition mine, I give 2tbsp canned pumpkin to them about 10 minutes before I give them their food; that helps them digest things easier.

If you can't get your hands on Fromm, www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a good website that has lists of 5 star foods they recommend based on your dogs individual needs.I hope that helps a bit! dog
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jul 1 6:53 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Life expectancy?

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 6:08pm PST 
I'm not really the best person on life expectancy in larger breeds, but my best friend owns a 9 yr old Old English Mastiff that has remained in very good health up until about the last year(she has hip dysplasia, but given her breed and her age, I think she's remained fairly healthy aside from that.) As long as you don't mind keeping a drool rag handy around your home/car, they might be a good breed to look into! I'm also not sure about her breeder's background as Scout is a hurricane Katrina dog that was rescued. She survived heart worms not long after they rescued her and she's healthy since then. I imagine if you started out with a reputable breeder that has healthy lines and does proper testing, you would have a good starting point. I absolutely LOVE how affectionate Old English Mastiffs are. She is one of the most gentle dogs I've ever been around and she has happily welcomed all of my dogs when I've brought them over for visits. (She gets along well with kids, cats, dogs, and just about everything; I think they are a very sweet breed!)smile

As far as behavior goes, she seems to be very well behaved.(house broken, walks on a leash well, basic commands,well socialized etc.) The only issue I've ever noticed with her is a bit of anxiety when it storms outside. I really think that's more because she's a hurricane Katrina survivor though, not because of her breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 12 10:30 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What\'s the worst intentional \"hybrid\" you\'ve seen?

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 7:32pm PST 
Grey Wolf/ Norwegian Elkhound....yup! Some moron thought it would be a splendid idea to keep a wolf as a pet and let it breed with their Norwegian Elkhound. The same moron also didn't take into consideration how difficult it would be to find good homes for those pups when people found out what they were mixed with, so they all wound up on "death row" at the most high-kill shelter in our area. I was 10 years old at the time and scouring the shelter with my mom for the perfect pet. That's when I stumbled upon the cage full of cute fluffy pups (The shelter said they were "unadoptable" due to their heritage, but my mom was convincing, thankfully! Ginger was the one that nibbled on my hands and whimpered to be picked up. Once I held her, I knew she was the pup for me. I was blessed to have her for 13 years before she passed away. She was one of the most amazing animals I've ever had! That being said, wolf hybrids are NOT for everyone; too many wind up in bad situations due to irresponsible BYB's and ill-prepared owners. Ginger had an amazing temp. and was great with every person/animal she met. That being said, she also required a bit of a special diet and training tailored to her needs. Occasionally we had some issues with her howling/destructive nature if she got stressed, but we were able to work through those.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 3:54 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ranger's Therapy Certification is on Sunday!

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 9:48am PST 
Thankyou for the kind words everyone! We are thrilled that we did well yesterday!big grin I also love how kind and supportive some of the people in this forum are!

@ Joey - we went through Delta Society! I did a lot of research before deciding on them and I'm happy with that group and their policies smile. We plan to also work through our local Delta affiliate (Midsouth Therapy Dogs) and also through Intermountain Therapy Dog's R.E.A.D. program.

Starting out, we plan to visit an outpatient rehab facility near us, an adult daycare/nursing type facility, and our local library. We want to start out slowly with shadow visits and see where Ranger and I fit in best. smile As he progresses and becomes more comfortable down the road, I'd love to be more active in the children's facilities, transplant units, and maybe the local VA hospital...we're just going to work slowly and see how he progresses! dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 2:31 pm

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 11:23am PST 
We passed!!!!blue dogblue dogblue dog We took our test a little while ago and I'm very thrilled to say that we did well and are now a certified therapy team!happy dance All I have to do now is mail in our info and have Ranger's vet give him a checkup. Once we get our badge and info in the mail, we can start our shadow visits! Thanks again for the encouragement everyone; it really helped! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 2:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Where do you want your dog when you are walking? In front, behind or beside you?

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 2:39pm PST 
I normally keep mine in a proper heel on our walks just to make life easier on me. Both of them walk on a loose leash at my left side, even with the seam on my pants. Ranger walks on the inside closest to me and Macy walks on the outside beside Ranger. When they need to go potty, I give them the "free dog" command and give them slack to roam.

I never allow them to pull in front of me or wind behind me and go after a distraction. (I had heart surgery a few months back, so I'm careful to make sure they don't get excited and trip me.) It just helps make the transition from obedience/therapy training to walking at the park/around our complex much easier! big grin I regurally halt them and change position so that they're always watching me and paying attention. The more focused they are on me, the less focus they put on strange animals and other distractions...it makes life easier!

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do when pup #3 comes along and I want to walk all 3 at the same time!laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 101 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 10:46 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Great natural trick to make a fresh smelling home!

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 2:20pm PST 
I love that idea! I will have to try it out!dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 9:57 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > what\'s the worst mispelling of a breed you\'ve ever seen?

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 2:17pm PST 
I've seen "Doxin" for what should have been "Dachshund"laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 85 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 3:08 pm

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 1:12pm PST 
Thankyou everyone! You guys are such a great encouragement!blue dog

I'm about to leave to take Ranger to the groomer so that he will look his best for tomorrow! Tonight I plan to review all of the paperwork and pack our little bag (brush, treat, paperwork,etc) so we are well prepared for tomorrow's test. I think we will also do a few quick "run throughs" tonight and then maybe again in the morning.

Keep those lovely vibes/prayers comming!! I have no doubt that he will be fantastic; I'm just hoping I remain calm and don't pass any nerves down the leash to him!laugh out loud (Also, please say a prayer we have no " potty accidents" tomorrow as that would be an automatic disqualification. That's normally never an issue with him, but you just never know!)
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 2:31 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.