Postings by Artie

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Raw Food Diet > Supplementation - What's Necessary
Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 2:25pm PST 
I supplemented the minerals then stopped and could tell the difference. Now he is getting zinc and quite a bit of tripe and I think it is doing the trick. He also is currently getting fish oil instead of whole fish so also getting vitamin E capsules those days as well.

Just learned that soaking fish oil and E capsules in hot water will dissolve the gelatin caps so I don't have to pill the poor old guy or puncture and squirt the oil on his food.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 11:38 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > homecooking and teeth health
Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:37pm PST 
Sassy's home cooked chicken and rice food kept her teeth cleaner than her chicken and rice kibble did. Not sure why. I was able to give her raw then cooked beef ribs to help scrub the teeth until her last week though.

You can always cook up the food, mix with some egg and bake it for food loaf and it would be even less sticky.

If you use Lew Olson's low glycemic diet of mostly meat/fish/organ/egg/dairy and a little non starchy veggies then it would be much less sticky and even easier on the teeth.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Hazel, Sep 16 10:11 am

Raw Food Diet > Question about chicken leg quarters

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 7:06am PST 
Max is 38 pounds and leg bones were a bit much for him when he started raw. What about buying leg quarters and boning all but the back section out? Super not fun to do. Or you might cut around the long part of the bone but leave the muscles attached to the joints and use kitchen/poultry scissors to cut out the long ossified shaft leaving the cartilaginous joints behind. Or what about avoiding leg quarters and buying bone in breasts when they are on sale? Chicken ribs are super easy bone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 1:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > Anal Gland Help!

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 7:30am PST 
Outside during the course of a bath worked well for me and Sassy.

Her sacs annoyed her more than hurt and she not only wasn't upset at me squeezing on occasion she actually helped. If this hurts then you will likely have some resistance and it would be easier and safer for the vet to do it.

Some say it is fecal quality that causes the problem but Sassy always had perfectly good poop. Her problem mostly went away when she was put on a fresh food diet which reduced her stool volume by maybe 1/2. Kibbles always have stuff in them that dogs don't require, apparently some of that stuff irritated Sassy's behind enough so her sacs couldn't empty properly.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lucille, Mar 7 8:42 am

Raw Food Diet > What's your system?

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 2:25pm PST 
I was very careful about organs and bone content at first too. I was learning a completely different way of feeding my pets and it took a long time for me to internalize it.

When I got his freezer I could take advantage of boxes of meats. Well, he eats all of 5 pounds in a week so something had to be done, he clearly cannot eat through a 10 pound bag of beef trim before it goes really stinky.

I collected loads of 16-32 ounce containers, take out, deli, yogurt, cottage cheese.... and thawed out bags of bony, boneless and organs and packed up 2-3 day bins with some bony stuff, some boneless and some organ. Any leftovers go in bins marked for what it is, I have tiny ones from KFC that are perfect for organs. I label very cryptically chxb/o/om or chxb/bt/ll or om or bt [chicken bone/ostrich/organ mix, chicken bone/beef trim/lamb liver, organ mix, beef trim]. I reuse grocery bags to pack up big stuff that doesn't fit into bins, bison and pork neck, rabbit heads for instance. I cut the tops of the RH/BT/OM bags into bunny ears. Ha ha.

If I mess up I always have 6-8 ounce patties of hamburger or egg or chicken feet ready to fill in and those tiny organ bins pop out and can be eaten mostly frozen. I use those address labels we have an abundance of to label, they stick very nicely.

Usually the bins don't come out even and sometimes he gets bigger meals because I am sick of that bin taking so long to feed through but I do still weigh his meals and keep him at about 70-80 ounces of food per week. Mostly he gets organ and bone one day and boneless only the next so I know he is getting his organ and bone but trying not to overdo it.

I make up new bins when it seems he isn't getting any variety or they are running out. Currently the top of the freezer is overflowing with clean empty bins, probably time to thaw something out.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Mackenzie CGC TDI DSA, Mar 4 9:40 am

Raw Food Diet > How long is meal time?
Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 10:59am PST 
Max takes about as long as I do to eat. Sometimes I take my lunch out and eat at the table when he eats and we are usually done inside 5-10 minutes. The bigger meals with bony stuff take longer, the boneless meals are shorter. On big bone days he will work the bit up to about 45 minutes before getting tired of all the work.

He did snorkle a full meal of ground stuff in 1.2 seconds once though. I now always press stuff like that around the edge of the plate so it takes a number of bites to get it all in.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Crash Dynamite, Feb 20 3:57 pm

Raw Food Diet > Boerboel puppy raw diet ?

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 7:07am PST 
Next time you go to Costco read the nutrition boxes looking for sodium at less than 100 mg per serving. All the chicken in the freezer case is enhanced if I am remembering correctly. I don't think any of the fresh meat is. Over the meat counter is a list of boxed meat prices. None are good enough for me but that is cheaper than the tray prices.

I have loads of Mexican markets 20 miles away. Nice meat in great variety at good prices. Some of them have online flyers and I can just visit when they are having an exceptional sale. Google your area for markets, you may find a treasure off the beaten path.

I tend to check the meat counter at my local market early in the morning for reduced meats. Remember to look at the price per pound, not the total price.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Dec 16 6:18 pm

Raw Food Diet > taurine

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 12:32pm PST 
Check dogaware for info on taurine. I am pretty sure it is there.
Here is some info.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070116093635/http://www.serve.co m/BatonRouge/taurine_chmr.htm
And this page has a few as well.
http://itchmoforums.com/making-your-own-pet-food-and-home-rem edies/winn-foundation-study-taurine-deficiency-in-cats-fed-rabbit-di et-t2186.0.html;wap2=
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 4:33 pm

Grooming > Does a shorter haircut mean less shiney coat?

Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Thu Oct 6, '11 7:25am PST 
She looks a lot like Artie! Artie has a double coat. The outer one grows quite long and the under coat is about 1-2 inches long. If he was clipped he would get dull so I furminated to get undercoat out after I stripped the too long topcoat. He gets called a Cairn mix but unless you know the parents or do a DNA test it is all a guess with mixed breeds. I suspect he is probably Schnauzer something just because they are a fairly common breed.

Flip the hair back, you may see the difference in hair that way. Max's under coat hair is very fine and not as dark as the outer coat, Sassy's was crimped and light colored and Artie's is straight, paler than the top coat and not as fine as Max's.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 6 4:33 pm

Raw Food Diet > Worms in raw meat?
Artie

My toys, All- Mine!

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 8:34am PST 
Exactly, there are a lot of worm species and each species has a specific host and life cycle! Unless the worm is identified there is no way to know just where it came from. The vet should know that and not dumb it down for the client!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 11 12:40 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.