Postings by Gangsta

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Choosing the Right Dog > I dreaming of a ...
Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 1:01pm PST 
ROTTWEILER.

OMG, if I could have a Rottweiler right now, I would probably die of happiness. They are the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen. Some people insist they look "scary", but to me they look goofy and fun-loving! And their personalities are just perfect: loyal, intelligent (9th most intelligent dog breed!), courageous, and strong!

I've obsessed over them for years now. I'm running out of YouTube videos to watch and websites to look at! XD And I just know Gangsta would love a Rotti too. She loves big dogs for some reason... But being 18 and about to move to Alaska, it's probably not the best time for me. X3 One day soon, though, I will have my Rottweiler!

I also like the look of Chihuahuas. I really hate their temperaments though. :C (Not to say all Chihuahuas are the same! Their general personalities just don't fit well with mine! D: ) Which is why Gangsta is so perfect for me. Looks like a Chihuahua, but has the Rat Terrier personality!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sachi (1997-2012), Jun 2 6:30 am

Dogs & Travel > Doggies & Airports
Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:56am PST 
Hiya Dogsters!

I'm about to fly to Alaska via Delta Airlines and Alaska Airlines and I'm gonna bring my Chihuahua/Rat Terrier with me! big grin

I've never flown with a pet before. My grand plan is to take Gangsta as a carry-on (it's much cheaper and I'd feel better having her close-by anyway!), but I'm not sure what to expect. I know what I need to bring to take her with me (certificate of health, hard kennel, shot records), but what's it like bringing a pet on an airplane?

I also have a NINE HOUR lay-over in L.A. and some tips on what to do would be awesome! If some Dogsters could give me some tips for travel or what to expect on the plane would be great!

Thanks everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, May 27 10:19 pm

Behavior & Training > Do you ever want to say something to people \"tshing\" their dog?

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 7:59pm PST 
Ah, thanks for the clarification about that Loki. I didn't know the difference between trainer and behaviorist, but I'm glad I know now!

Like I said before, however, is I don't use the poke as a correction. My parent's Dachshunds are extremely aggressive with other dogs, especially on walks around our neighborhood. They will pull and lunge against the leash if I don't do anything and if a dog gets too close they will bite, at least our younger one does (she's 9). The older one just follows suit. If I don't distract them with SOMETHING I have a big situation on my hands. By the time they start getting aggressive treats are a no-go. I've tried a lot of methods of distracting, but they don't work. Sometimes it doesn't come to that, a loud noise works. But I do have to resort to something or they just keep on going down this aggressive track.

We are trying to make up with lost time on the Dachshunds. We are trying to socialize them like they weren't before--I was too young to know anything about training and socializing and my parent's just assumed a "dog is a dog". Not anymore, I am now trying to get my mom to take them out to parks. Which we have done and they have done very well. Hopefully, distracting won't be necessary one day. Again, I do not use it as a correction. If they get aggressive and I am too late to stop it I just ignore them afterwards.

Our little puppy Gangsta doesn't need distractions. I'm socializing her as we speak and she is very affectionate and hardly barks. If she does something wrong we ignore her, which works wonderfully for her sense she loves attention. Using the poke as a correction is wrong and I realize that. I don't do it to Gangsta as it is unnecessary for her. For me, the poke is a last resort and for the Dachshunds alone. It's all I can do to prevent them from getting too aggressive to the point where I can't do anything.

They are doing better though. You should have seen them on River Street and the park! They still barked, but they didn't get too aggressive. The young one did twice, but nothing like she used to. I just think they need to meet more dogs and they will get better!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 3:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Do you ever want to say something to people \"tshing\" their dog?

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 7:26pm PST 
What I'm starting to get confused about is... what's so bad about using similar techniques as Cesar? He's a dog trainer and a good one to boot! People should use whatever works for their dog, if you use the same techniques as Cesar... why is that such an awful thing? Are you guys really so repelled by Cesar Millan that you refuse to use something that might work? I've watched the show on a few occasions, but never religiously. The poking thing is all I got from him that I thought was really effective, but I only use it rarely. And ONLY for my parent's Dachshunds and only then as a distraction.

Can someone inform me what is so bad about Cesar? I've never heard anything particularly bad about him, but I've never researched him thoroughly enough to know. I get it that people are abusing his techniques, is that where all this stigma comes from? I know I'VE researched about dogs before doing any training or correcting or even distracting. I only do what works for my dog or the dogs I'm caring for (i.e. my parent's Dachshunds).
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 3:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > "One person" dog breeds?

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 7:06pm PST 
Not sure if anyone said it (I would be really surprised if they didn't!), but Chihuahuas are reeeeally one-person dogs if you allow it. They are small and cling to whoever gives them the most affection, often getting jealous of other dogs that try to be near the same owner.
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by Roxie, Mar 1 11:03 pm

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 6:57pm PST 
I know everyone here is all, "HOMG POKING TEH DOG IS HORRIBLE WHAT HORRIBLE PEOPLE!!!1one!" But I have to say it actually works, IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY. My parent's Dachshunds are extremely awful when walking, they lunge at every dog, bark excessively, and make walking a pain. They are both older dogs (9 and 11), so are pretty much beyond the simple "ah" or any other verbal command.

The thing with the poke is... you have to time it PERFECTLY or it just won't work. I use signals to know when to do it and it's not as if I do it hard or anything. It's more like a tap on the neck with a loud sound. The moment I see another dog ahead I watch the Dachshund's ears. As soon as I see them perk up or growl I quickly make a loud sound. If that doesn't work, and they really start getting aggressive, I do poke them in the neck. This usually surprises them so much they get distracted and look at me. That's all it's supposed to be used for. Not as a correctional cue, but simply as a distraction. People using it to correct their dogs are wrong.

However, my and my boyfriend's Rat-Cha is a puppy and can be corrected with just a loud sound. Nothing excessive, she usually picks it up quickly enough. If she is persistent I just keep making sounds or making her get away, though it rarely comes to that.

If the poke and "tsh" works for you, merely as a DISTRACTION, then it does. I use it and it is the only way to get my Dachshunds through a walk. Gangsta doesn't need that kind of thing at all, just saying "no" in a firm voice is enough.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 3:32 pm

Behavior & Training > It\'s bad to train puppies? wth?

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 6:35pm PST 
I understand where you are coming from. In fact, the only way to get my family to stop making fun of my extensive research about dogs and their pack mentality was I just decided to train my parent's two Dachshunds. That shut them up reeeal quick, because the dogs responded to me better than anyone else.

You should train puppies. Trust me, I know the awful effects when you don't. When I trained my parent's Dachshunds that was probably their first real session. They don't listen to anyone because of that, but they are slowly getting better. They are 9 and 11 years old.

Sense I was too young to train the Dachshunds and knew no better, there was nothing I could do but go along with what my parents said. I was... six when we got the older Dachshund and I only just got really into dogs. However, I am training my boyfriend's and my puppy. She already knows "sit" at 11 weeks. XD I dunno if that is great or not, but we make sure she knows basic rules (no jumping up, no chewing every little thing). You should always train puppies, that's when they soak up the most information!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gangsta, Aug 17 6:35 pm

Puppy Place > Breed guess

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 6:05pm PST 
Yes, she definitely looks like a Rat-Cha (Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix), which is what Gangsta is! (If you look at their pictures, they do look a lot alike, except for the coloring!) Rat-Chas have a looot of different colors and are really great dogs! XD Both Gangsta and Sally have big eyes and long legs, but short little bodies. Trust me, if Gangsta is any indication, you got a really awesome breed!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ♥ Sparky ♥, Aug 19 4:09 pm

Puppy Place > spouse not a dog lover - how to deal?

Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 5:54pm PST 
You know, I can't say that my boyfriend was exactly a "dog hater" or anything. He disliked my parent's two Dachshunds (with reason, they really are awful dogs, but we all tolerate them as their behavior isn't their fault... just a repercussion of bad training or the complete lack of. However, they are becoming better! And I can't help but like them for that!). My boyfriend was exposed to his older sister's dog whom was the best trained dog ever, though her methods weren't exactly "positive". He also had seen his father's dog Hero who really ran things at his dad's place--extremely hyper for an older dog and quite demanding, but sweet in his own way.

Of course, I had been in my obsessive dog mode. I researched everything about dogs, rattled on and on about my findings, implemented my research on my parent's Dachshunds, and showed a real passion for dogs. I talked to him SO much about dogs I think he got sick of it! BOL! I would always request to "see dogs" at shelters or, honestly, ANYWHERE!

We went to the Flea Market and got Gangsta. I didn't pick her out (he did, and ironically she looks like his sister and dad's dog BOL!)and I told him there was no pressure to buy, that if he thought he couldn't handle a dog that would be cool. Of course, we fell in love with Gangsta the moment we got her. My boyfriend even did some doggie research himself! We work together to raise Gangsta and train her, preparing her raw diet meal, and making sure she gets plenty of playtime!

I think you just need to let your dog and your husband come together without any pressure. Just let him get used to a puppy and suggest he does some research on his own, I know that inspired me!
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Aug 30 8:27 am

Small Dogs > Best diets for small dogs
Gangsta

The true- hardcore dog.

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 6:53pm PST 
Gangsta was fed a really good puppy kibble with her breeder (the name totally escapes me now), but I switched her to raw after hearing so much good stuff about it. I just switched, so I can't glorify it the way some other raw feeders could properly do, but I can say this: she really eats raw chicken! She absolutely loves it! With her kibble she hardly ate anything, but once I gave her some chicken she loved it. I know it's hard for some owners to accept giving raw food (I know I didn't even consider it until I did my homework and asked some questions to anyone who knew anything about dogs), but she loves it a lot.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gangsta, Aug 14 6:53 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.