GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Health > The dreaded crate rest.
Lola, in memory.

Her name was- Lola, she WAS a- show girl..

Barked: Sun Sep 29, '13 5:41pm PST 
I have successfully treated four back episodes in my Frenchies with dexamethasone and robaxin and strict crate rest. We start with an injection of the dex, then go to tablets, gradually reducing the amount over a ten day period. We crate for a minimum of three weeks. I use stuffed bones and just shut my ears, BOL!
However, the last one, poor Lola, did not respond to that treatment at all, in fact she continued to get worse and was in severe pain even with tra-madol.
The orthopaedic surgeon could offer no hope for an acceptable outcome with surgery as she had no feeling nor reflex reactions in either leg. Sadly, since she was hurting soo much we put her to sleep.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Nov 21 3:20 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > When does it sink in?
Lola, in memory.

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:25pm PST 
Ark, I lost Lola last week and in her case, it is even harder to have it sink in. She was co-owned and spent time with both me and her co-owner so when I miss her, I automatically think she is with the co-owner.
I haven't decided if that helps OR hurts more!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Sep 29 6:15 am

Dog Health > Jumping on bed

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 4:12am PST 
Frankly, I would not allow it with those breed mixes. Lola was a jumper, and last week we discovered her completely paralyzed in the rear. A week of intensive meds and cage rest did nothing and surgery was not an option as she had NO reflexes nor pain reception from her hips back so it would have not helped. She also had no bladder or bowel control.
Sadly, she was euthanized on Wednesday. She wasn't three years old yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 4:52 am

Dog Health > Help for dog with a slipped/bulging disc

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 7:28am PST 
Sadly, we ended up putting Lola to sleep this morning. She had no feeling nor reflex action in either leg, no bladder nor bowel control at all and it had been an entire week on drugs with no improvement.
Surgeons couldn't offer any hope of improvement either in the absence of the reflex movements.
NO MORE FRENCHIES for me!! There are just too many issues with them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 5:35 am

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 1:02pm PST 
Okay... I have ALWAYS done the crate completely, carried them outside to pee/poop, and it's worked fine except for Lola. I'll give it some more time!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 5:35 am

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 9:10am PST 
Scooter... what about BEFORE surgery?? Lola is no better, no worse so I am thinking about putting her in an expen and letting her move about a bit. I know with MY disk it was walking that made it better.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 5:35 am

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 3:35pm PST 
Just this morning I discovered Lola, my 3 year old Frenchie, dragging her rear legs and not walking at all. Having had Frenchies for years and years, sadly I have seen disk issues before, but in the neck, not the rear. We have ALWAYS done steroids, muscle relaxants and STRICT cage rest for a minimum of three weeks and it's always worked.
Well, I had a new vet this morning, she did agree with the steroids and muscle relaxants, and also gave her a shot of dex, which we had done with the others. But, when I mentioned crate rest, she said, "oh, she can get around by dragging her legs so don't worry about it." I was flabbergasted!!! Having had disk issues myself and having the previous experience with other Frenchies, I KNOW that the only way they will recover and heal is by removing ALL weight bearing on their spine and allowing the steroids to work to reduce the swelling that is causing the paralysis and the muscle relaxants to reduce the muscle spasms. Walking, especially dragging her rear legs, is certainly NOT going to help either of these drugs do their job nor is it going to help the body heal.
Lola will be spending the next two to three weeks in her crate 24/7. I will carry her outside to relieve herself, and support her while she does, and carry her back inside to her crate. I can't imagine risking permanent paralysis by letting her walk AT ALL.
I have to wonder if this vet is paid a commission for drumming up new dogs for spinal surgery!!! I will be discussing this with my "regular" vet who is HER new boss!!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 5:35 am

Dog Health > Red paws!

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 4:20am PST 
Interestingly enough, Lola has pretty much always had swollen, red paws which I assumed was a food allergy due to Frenchies being prone to that AND having another closely related to her with a chicken allergy and the same symptoms.
Change of food, including limited diet did nothing.
Finally, my vet suggested the possibility of demodex mange. I was very skeptical, she is almost three and hadn't had issues with it as a puppy, and I have never heard of it on the feet.
We treated her with ivermectin every 10 days and by the third dose her feet were completely healed with no swelling and/or redness left.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Tue 10:44 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The most challenging breed?

Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:03pm PST 
My absolute worse are my Frenchies... it's a darn good thing they are entertaining or I would be crazy!!! I say "come" and my labs and poodles and cresteds bowl each other over to get to me first. Those Frenchies do not even wiggle the tip of their bat ears as they continue in the other direction.
I had one who went to work with me every single day...about 75 yards across the parking lot. For 15 or 16 days she would walk over with me at a perfect heel, then with no warning at all, would head for the hills, literally, the next day.
Sadly, they are also clowns but if I am in a hurry and trying to get them to do something I am in no mood for their clowning around. I DO have to laugh, though!!!
Now I just don't even try to teach them anything... they are great in the house and I keep them on leash outside. Works for me, works for them!
I have had two males, still have one, who were escape artists. They would chew thru the wire holding the chain link to the bottom pipes then escape. But, they BOTH immediately headed up the hill to the vet clinic next door. They would walk in with whomever was entering the building and pretend they were that person's new pet. The receptionists would give them a biscuit and call me to come get them.
I can't tell you how many times I have put everyone in their crates for the night, gone to bed, and then found Lola sleeping under my desk where she had been hiding from me. My poodles would NEVER do that!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 7:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog questions
Lola, in memory.

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 11:41am PST 
Not offended at all!!! Just that pet people often do not understand rehoming dogs the way show people do it. Most of us can only keep so many, and find great pleasure in rehoming a beloved finished show dog so it can enjoy being an only pet with all the perks that come with that status. We do it BECAUSE we love them, not to "get rid of them", as some people believe!
In fact, while I still co-own Lola, she is living with a friend of mine right now and is being shown. She will be returning for a litter after becoming a champion, but meanwhile, she is an only dog in her new home and loving the life!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 11:41 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.