Postings by Chase

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Choosing the Right Dog > The same litter?
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 3:21am PST 
I get asked if Chase is a puppy pretty often. "Nope, she just turned four" "Oh, are you sure?" uhhhh, yes?
I had a woman at the dog park come up and get right up in my business "Oh, is she a Malinois?" "I don't think so, pretty sure just a gsd mix" "Well before I got my Aussie I was looking into getting a Malinois. She looks like a Malinois. Is she a Malinois? Malinois?! MALINOIS?!"
Now I'm not saying there's no Malinois in there, because quite frankly I have no idea what she is and what she's mixed with. But I have never encountered a Malinois in our area. Not one. So I'm pretty hesitant to think that she's a Mal mix.
I think those people are more annoying than people who don't know much. The person who thinks they know a lot, and is pushy about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Kato, Oct 16 11:47 am

Puppy Place > Girl names vs Boy names?
Chase

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 3:48am PST 
I agree that it doesn't really matter. Chase is a girl, and our cat Napoleon is also a girl.
They don't care.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Oct 10 12:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Would your dog Pass the Canine good Citizen test?

Chase

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 11:15am PST 
We would not pass.
3.Allow a stranger to handle him or her as a groomer, or veterinarian would. - Not likely. Someone touching her back, sides, legs, neck and chest would be fine, but if they tried touching her face like a vet would she moves her head.
4. Walk Nicely on a loose lead. - No. This is not something we've mastered yet, much to my embarrassment.
6. Sit and down on command, then stay in a sit or down position while you walk away. - No. Formerly she could, but we've let the 'stay' portion of her training slide.
8. Casually greet another dog - No, she pulls on leash and will bounce around like a ninny

She would rock the recall portion though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chase, Jul 17 11:15 am

Behavior & Training > Hand signals for commands?

Chase

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 10:24am PST 
You can really use any hand signal you want for anything.
It's hard to describe hand signals, but for Chase 'sit' is two fingers extended(hand is palm up, other fingers curled in) and I lift those two fingers. 'Down' is hand flat palm down lowering my hand.
Her hand signal for 'sit pretty' is a... I don't even know how to explain my hand haha. Like a duck head? Pointed at her, and then I lift my hand at the wrist like a duck raising it's head. hahaha Oh gosh, what a description.
Why is it that? I don't know.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mar 26 12:31 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

Chase

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 6:39pm PST 
Like many of you the "Oh, she's so good! You're so lucky to have a dog that's so well behaved!" Well... She certainly didn't arrive that way! It took a lot of work to get her the way she is now.
"Oh, how old is she? I bet she'll be big!" Nope, she's three and a half, I don't think she's getting much bigger.
Or when I tell people her mix (GSD/Husky) "Oh! She's pretty small for those breeds! Must be the runt!" Nope. She's 60 pounds. That's pretty average for female shepherds.
"She must try to eat your cat!" She loves cats. Especially our cat. She'll even let the cat eat her kibble at breakfast.
Or when strangers ask if they can pet her I say "If she'll let you, she's not always super keen on strangers." and when she acts aloof with them they assume she's not friendly, or that she's aloof with me at home. Nope. She just doesn't care for adult strangers. It really depends on the day.
[notify]
» There has since been 122 posts. Last posting by The Boys, May 5 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Would Dog Playmate Stop Cat Chasing?
Chase

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:41am PST 
While it may not be ideal to have your dog leashed while in the house at all times, sometimes it's necessary.
Chase still gets fixated on our cat at times and wants to play (and typically the cat is okay with this) but when Chase gets too rough, or Napoleon has clearly had enough I just interrupt their session. I give Chase the chance to chill out on her own, but if she won't leave the cat alone I crate her for a few minutes, or I tether her to myself. Once she's just sitting or laying down she forgets how fun the cat is.
Napoleon is a fairly new addition to our family (she's been with us for about 5 months) but when we first adopted Chase at 10 months my roommate had 3 cats. So we've gone through the cat thing a couple of times haha
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Stella, Feb 25 9:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Off leash trust

Chase

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 10:27am PST 
I remember the first time I let Chase off leash. She would've been nearly a year and a half (we got her at 10 months) and I was terrified. My pockets were stuffed with cut up hotdogs and cheese.
We were at a dog park near my friend's house and I figured it was now or never, and I let her off. I don't think she strayed more than 50 feet from me, constantly came back to where I was.
She still does it. If we're out hiking with friends she comes right up to me to make sure I'm still around, even though she has to hear me chattering. We have never really worked on a recall anywhere other than the backyard.
Her recall is pretty solid, one of the best of all the dogs I know. Unless there's deer, then all bets are off.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Dec 29 5:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Name Changing?

Chase

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 5:06pm PST 
Chase was Spirit at the shelter (and maybe in her previous life) and when my friend adopted her, she named her Tala.
Treats and praise when I said her name and she knew she was Chase within the week.
My friend adopted a dog on the weekend. Her name was Boots (who names a Giant Schnauzer boots?) and she already knows that Isabel is her name now.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Oct 31 8:08 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How many dogs is too many?

Chase

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:20am PST 
I'm going to bring up another consideration that someone on this site actually brought up to me when I was seriously considering a second dog, and wanted opinions on how people felt it differed from having just one dog.
What will happen if (and I know this is not something anyone ever wants to hear) you and your boyfriend break up? Do you make enough to support all three dogs? Or will you split the dogs between the two of you?
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 6:49 am

Behavior & Training > What can't you trust your dog with?
Chase

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 8:04am PST 
Chase cannot be trusted around cat food, or dead fish. If there's a dead fish she will find it and she will roll in it.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Buster, Oct 21 9:28 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.