Postings by Taggert

GO!

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > raw food diet causing my dog high kidney BUN levels?
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '14 6:22pm PST 
High BUN isn't all about diet. I would look at a number of reasons why it might be high, including the fact that it is summer, and your dog might be dehydrated. One BUN test is not sufficient to diagnose the problem.

Was your dog's BUN high before you switched?
Perhaps you should check again in a week or a month to see if its still high. There are no reliable studies that diet contributes to high BUN in dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 8:36 pm

Dog Health > Dog throwing up on purpose (at will)
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Jul 19, '14 3:21pm PST 
how does she eat? 8 months is one of those windows where anxieties can creep in. Many pet parents start to see food aggression at around this time, and it is something you should work on if you see it. Gulping down food is like a stage 1 food aggression and that is the#1 reason for regurgitation. It is a type of anxiety. It means that they do not feel secure in their eating arrangement. High strung dogs like terriers as a group as well as chihuahuas are prone to anxieties. They sort of get rooted in the dog in a window when they are weaned, and again when they are going through puberty.

Never punish a dog for vomiting. You just have to catch the behavior as it starts and reroute it to a more convenient place. If you see her pawing at the sofa, and that is a precursor to vomit, pick her up and put her in a kennel or set her outside for 15-30 minutes.

try using a dish that discourages gorging, or use a toy you can fill. When taggert was transitioning into our house, he used to try to attack foxxy, gulp down his, and try to bully foxxy out of hers, and then he would go find somewhere we could not easily reach to throw up, like under the table or behind the couch or under the bed. We got him to stop by putting his meal first by feeding him in his kennel and then leaving him in there for 15 minutes after he finished, and then when he was more secure in his environment, we bought him a food ball that he could roll all over the floor and food would drop out, which he would hoover up. By the time he had finished with his food, foxxy was done with her bowl. After a while, when we transitioned to raw, he was secure enough that he eats right next to her in his own bowl.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Jul 19 3:21 pm

Grooming > Is there a such thing as dog conditioner?

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '14 4:18pm PST 
but if you are not fr using a chemical conditioner on dogs with short coats, you might try doing a coconut oil rinse. massage coconut oil into the skin and fur, then rinse it out with warm water.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Jul 1 4:18 pm

Raw Food Diet > Can I feed pre-made raw long term?

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Jun 2, '14 1:43pm PST 
I once contacted Sojos about AAFCO cert, they said that it involved animal testing, so they don't do it. I was like, but. . .this is animal feed, so. . .smh. Think about premade raw the same way you would think of canned food, only it's raw. We do it often, just for the convenience. Sojos or I and love and you have freeze dried, Northwest Naturals has a very affordable, portionable raw. You'll still have to feed an RMB or turkey neck on occasion, for tooth cleaning if nothing else
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Louise, Jun 10 10:16 pm

Dog Health > My Dog Puked Twice Today

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed May 21, '14 12:39am PST 
OMG no! the deal is, if you're not used to feeding your dog different brands, the switch should be made over the course of a whole month, not switch over to pedigree. That's a shameless plug.

Here's how it goes:
Most dogs can and should handle change. Think about your own body. If you were given nothing but canned chicken, broccoli and rice for every meal of every day and you had no power to eat, say, cereal, or a juicy steak, and then suddenly you were given a lobster dinner, wouldn't you have GI trouble? think about how many people switch to a veg diet and get sick the first three months or so, or people that are used to veg but sample a friend's hot dog and get violently ill for a week. It's the same principle, only with dogs, and we're talking about dog food.

Truth is, 2 different brands of dog food at the same time is PERFECTLY FINE for the vast majority of dogs. Now, if you've been feeding one kind for a very long time, you should expect a little trouble. It's best to start slow, but when a situation like this pops up, it's best just to calm down, and watch carefully. Chances are, the GI upset will subside, and now, what you have is a rotation. buy the food that you have before, but also feed the other two brands as well. You can switch off by meal, or by day, or even month by month, but a variety of food is likely (not scientifically but anecdotally) better than feeding one food all the time.

The throwing up is just the dog's body reacting to something it's not used to. that just means a process of time and patience and the dog will usually recover with no trouble. Just never punish a dog for vomiting is all. You keep dogs for long enough and you come to understand that vomit is just part of life with dogs. clean it up, or let them lick it back up, and life continues as normal.

A word about canned, though, if you regularly feed canned, you might consider a switch to a brand of dehyrated. Cans are wasteful to the environment and contain 66%-75% water. with dehydrated, you make your own wet food by putting your own water in it rather than paying for someone else's water.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, May 22 5:36 pm

Raw Food Diet > Where to source ground raw?
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri May 16, '14 11:41pm PST 
Find a local butcher. My butcher does 2 grinds, one with beef heart, trimmings and trachea, and the other of turkey innards and necks. I have one dog that loves the turkey, and one dog that won't touch it, but both love the beef.

Just go in and ask if they do a pet food grind. lots of them do.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, May 16 11:41 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Holy cow, this is scary. Dogs being kept alive for their blood.

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '14 8:38pm PST 
It's like something out of a horror movie. . . I just can't process how terrible this place was.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, May 5 1:37 pm

Raw Food Diet > Tips on freezing meat

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '14 1:14pm PST 
when you first get your food, portion it into the units of measurement that your dog eats per meal. That way you are only thawing in the fridge whatever the dog is going to eat that day. The less you have to thaw and refreeze stuff the better.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Mar 24 1:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > How long can raw food stay down?

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 1:05am PST 
10 minutes is a pretty standard feeding time, even if the dog is not on raw. Actually If a dog hasn't eaten anything in 5 minutes, he is usually being a picky puss, but give them 5 minutes leeway.

Taggert is very picky. There is this turkey neck grind that my butcher does, and foxxy loves it. It's high in bone though. Tagert won't touch it. He takes a bite, tastes the bone, and turns his nose up every time. After a week of snubbing it, I broke down and got him some beef heart and tongue. I can't starve him very long because he is naturally almost too skinny as it is. He wolfed that right up without a second glance.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Mar 14 1:05 am

Food & Nutrition > Good canned dog food that looks "real"
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 10:10am PST 
skip the cans which are bad for the environment and go with I and Love and you In the raw.

Cans are messy, filled with water that comes from a non-local source, and contribute to tons of waste. Dehydrated casts about the same or cheaper than buying the expensive cans that have more than just pate. With dehydrated, it's the same nutrition, only you are not paying for water, you are adding your own.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Dec 27 10:10 am

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.