Postings by Nare

GO!

(Page 1 of 75: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Barking Issue
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Sep 1, '14 10:36pm PST 
Barking / Baying is a way of life for Beagles and pretty much all hound dogs. Shock collars definitely won't help and would probably intensify the barking, especially if it is out of fear.

With that being said, all you can really do is give him something better to do. If you're going to vacuum put him in another room with a Kong or a bullystick. If he is too stressed from the sound to even do that, take him outside to where the sound isn't as loud and have someone else vacuum while you give him treats and play with him so he slowly gets desensitized to the sound. Do this with other machinery too.

With other dogs and people.. it is very similar. You need to start at a distance that he isn't going to react. Feed him treats and reward heavily for focusing on you, what you're teaching him is that you are more rewarding than barking at X. He could be barking out of fear and has learned that barking = scary thing goes away.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dolce, Sep 5 5:12 am

Behavior & Training > Separation Anxiety with a Rescue?
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Sep 1, '14 4:33am PST 
Is she crated at all when you leave ? You could try to crate her and cover the crate with a blanket (this usually stops my puppies from howling when they're younger).
Could you crate her or leave her out and walk out the front door and does she react? Maybe walk out and if she doesn't howl after 30 or so seconds go back in and praise her then abruptly leave.. she might howl then because she is excited.. wait it out.. after 3-4 seconds of quiet go in and praise her. If she doesn't howl try waiting a minute and go inside and praise.

Either way you are teaching her that you will come back, and that what she was doing (being quiet and waiting) is going to get her attention.

You could also try playing music or leaving the TV on to make it sound / feel like you are home.

I've also heard that vocal dogs become remarkably less vocal when they aren't hungry ? I don't know if there is any truth behind it though. Could try feeding her, and maybe while she is in the middle of eating just walk out.. hopefully won't notice? party
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nare, Sep 1 4:33 am

Food & Nutrition > Wellness Vs. Blue Buffalo

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '14 5:49am PST 
Throwing out there at you can get Wellness for 20% off at Petsmart most of the time because it isnt super popular.

But I will say that I love Wellness. Blue Buffalo is getting too much attention and it is just a second away from being bought out by Purina or Iams. Their recent recalls have been unsettling and Wellness has never had a recall that I know of. Old Mother Hubbard treats are also made by Wellness.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Brinks , Oct 7 10:59 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 9:38pm PST 
Hi. smile
Felt like not being anti-social.
Is Dogster coming back to life (finally)?
Tavi has Barn Hunt trials tomorrow, she already has her instincts title.
[notify]
» There has since been 263 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 9:14 am

Behavior & Training > Leave it vs drop it

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 8:33pm PST 
My leave it means to get the hell away from there.
So if my dogs are near something and they hear leave it, they either circle around or come back to me for further instructions. I taught this by capturing them backing away from treats / objects / high value things.

Drop it / Out is much more relaxed, and is usually followed up with me replacing the item. So if Tavi has a bird in her mouth and I ask her to out, it means shes going to get cheese! Or if she outs her toy she gets another game of tug / fetch.

Depends on what you want. party
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 9 8:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Leave it vs drop it
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 8:31pm PST 
My leave it means to get the hell away from there.
So if my dogs are near something and they hear leave it, they either circle around or come back to me for further instructions. I taught this by capturing them backing away from treats / objects / high value things.

Drop it / Out is much more relaxed, and is usually followed up with me replacing the item. So if Tavi has a bird in her mouth and I ask her to out, it means shes going to get cheese! Or if she outs her toy she gets another game of tug / fetch.

Depends on what you want. party
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nare, Aug 9 8:33 pm

Raw Food Diet > Premium meat kibble vs homecooked vegetarian diet

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '14 10:14pm PST 
Let them know how selfish they are being. They are acting no better than strictly religious parents extremely limiting their kids. Dogs know what is best for themselves, so tell your sister to let the dog choose.. have them put out a bowl of vegetarian food, a bowl of kibble, and a steak.. lets bet on where the dog goes to!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Peanut, Jul 3 9:47 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog | blue pitbull | XXL Pitbull

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '14 10:10pm PST 
dogss aren't made.. confused they aren't an item or product.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 23 4:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Trouble finding socialization oppertunites! PLEASE HELP!

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 6:51am PST 
why does your dog need to meet these other dogs ? Nare doesn't like other dogs, he used to pull and bark and hackle up when he saw them, but now can be calmly walked through a crowd and exchange sniffs with some of them (he doesn't like jumpy weird dogs, they worry him). All that mattered to me was that he was happy and safe, but it was a weird experience because we went to the dog park 3-4 times a week before he became fearful of other dogs (which I now acknowledge was my fault for not protecting him, and the other dogs were probably just like him and the owners were to blind to see their dogs pain).

It took me a long time to put behind me that Nare didn't need other dogs, all he needed was me. I'm very glad tho that I can bring other dogs into the pack and he loves them because he can trust me to handle the situation now, instead of doing it himself. smile
I did the whole "waste hundreds of dollars on trainers/training tools"... if you wish to continue that path, work on making your dog happy and comfortable.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Jun 16 10:41 am

Food & Nutrition > Petsmart Family and Friends Weekend
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 11:14pm PST 
You don't even have to print it out, just mention it at the register and we have one to scan for everyone who is unable to print or forgot. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Jun 9 3:23 am

(Page 1 of 75: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.