Postings by Jack CD/CDX, CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I can't believe he is gone...
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '11 9:30am PST 
Thank you so much for your support fellow dogsters. This has been so hard for me! After so many years with him I just have this big empty hole in my life right now and I am trying so hard not to let the kids see how difficult this is for me since they have been relatively ok. I am definitely taking it the worst out of everyone in our family, but then again I had Jack before I had hubby, or the kids or Bear. He was always there for me throughout the years.

I picked up his ashes today and will scatter them on our favorite beach and hiking trail (there is a pic of us hiking there in Jack's profile with our other Minpin Erik, who passed 4 years ago), and hopefully that will give me some peace knowing that he is there with Erik, our little red dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sully & Socks Our Angel , Oct 29 9:41 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I can't believe he is gone...
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '11 10:42am PST 
Jack, you were a wonderful dog. You took everything in stride and we are so happy to have had more than 13 years with you, but it is never enough and it is so hard to say goodbye.

We will love you and miss you forever. Rest in Peace Jack, our sweet old brown dog, and may your spirit run free on the beach with your doggie brother who we lost 4 years ago.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sully & Socks Our Angel , Oct 29 9:41 pm

Dog Health > Ideas to help a senior dog recover from serious illness?

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '11 10:32am PST 
I truly thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the help and support you have given our family in trying our best to make Jack healthy and whole again.

Unfortunately, it was not the beginning as I had hoped in my last entry on this thread. On Sunday he ate nothing other than the Nutri-cal I put on the roof of his mouth and on Monday he could not keep down his meds so I took him right in to the vet. He was just shutting down and other than another hospitalization (which the vet said was unlikely to yield anything but a very temporary improvement which could not be sustained), we were at the end of our options. So we made the very difficult decision to let him go. I hope his spirit is running free on the beach with our other Minpin now.

The lives of our dogs are always far too short.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 27 12:19 pm

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 6:47pm PST 
He ate much better tonight, my husband got him to eat a good amount of the chicken I cooked. Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of his appetite coming back and feeling better...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 27 12:19 pm

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 7:05am PST 
Thanks again everyone, I looked at the names of the two drugs the vet prescribed and they are cerena (which he has now finished) and sucralfate, and then the pepcid.

It seems to makes sense that he is still feeling nauseated because what he eats one day he will not touch the next so maybe he is associating what he is eating with feeling sick. I will pick up the baby food meat purees at the supermarket and speak to the vet about the appetite stimulants Mirtazapine and Meclizine to see if maybe those might be a possibility.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 27 12:19 pm

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 11:32am PST 
Thanks for the responses, I truly appreciate them. So far, he is still not interested in food and it is a huge struggle to get him to eat though he is drinking. I have been supplementing with the Nutrical since he is not eating much at all, but he hates it.

He is on a couple of meds from the vet hospital, plus they are having me give him half a pepcid AC twice a day. I have been trying everything to just get him to eat but even the most enticing foods like cheese, bacon, steak, chicken etc. barely rate a nibble. The vet didn't have many suggestions other than trying different foods but I'm running out of options and he can't subsist on Nutrical forever. I am getting very concerned.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 27 12:19 pm

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 11:50am PST 
Last week Jack started vomiting and I took him in to the vet. His bloodwork came back with the kidney values all out of whack and he was very quickly becoming weak and dehydrated so we brought him to a specialty round the clock vet.

He was diagnosed with kidney disease that was causing ulcerations and bleeding. He spent several days there, had 3 blood transfusions and a wide variety of supportive care steps to get him strong enough to come home yesterday evening after his blood count stabilized and they were able to get him to keep down solids.

He is very weak. And only interested in food if I really insist and hand feed him little pieces of hamburger or little globs of wet food so I am concerned that he is not going to be able to recuperate if he does not regain his appetite.

He is drinking very large volumes of water, so that at least is good.

I would love to hear from those of you who have had senior dogs with serious problems that have been able to bounce back, and what you did to help them on the road to recovery.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 27 12:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Would love to hear about German Pinschers...

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 8:20am PST 
Thanks for the response. Having had both Minpins and Dobes in my family, and having fostered a couple of GPs I guess I do already have a pretty good general idea of the breed. Would still love to hear from some owners out there, if there are any around.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jack CD/CDX, CGC, Aug 23 8:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Would love to hear about German Pinschers...

Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 10:54am PST 
Years ago when I was involved in Minpin rescue, I fostered two German Pinschers that were mistaken for oversized Minpins and I really liked those pups. It was hard to give them up when their forever homes came calling.

So now I find myself thinking about our next dog as it has become undeniable that Jack is in his golden years. Though I hope we still have a long time left with him, it is time to start researching and one breed I keep coming back to is the German Pinscher.

I would love to hear about your experiences with GPs as they seem to still be pretty uncommon around these parts, the last time I saw a couple was at the dog show I went to in March.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jack CD/CDX, CGC, Aug 23 8:20 am

Senior Dogs > Going deaf
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 12:02pm PST 
Jack has lost his hearing too but he still responds well to hand signals if he can see me. He does not get startled easily though and remains one of the best dogs I've ever seen with kids. Sometimes I forget that he can't hear anymore and I will start calling him to go for a walk laugh out loud which he still enjoys so long as I keep it short.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sanka- I'll Miss You, Dec 9 8:36 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.