Postings by Karma

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Raw Food Diet > Starting a new puppy on raw?
Prayers please

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 5:32am PST 
I'm planning on picking out a cattledog puppy in the next few weeks. The breeder will most likely be feeding kibble and I'm wondering the best way to switch to raw?

I fed my last dog raw I bought from a rough collie dog breeder (whole turkey, eggs, vegetables and whole chicken all ground up into a sausage type roll) but I'd prefer to make it myself this time around. Karma did well on it, but my question is, how good a diet is it? Is there missing something important? I would prefer not to feed red meat because of all the beef recalls this month, and I heard it is best to start with chicken anyways.

Also, does anyone have any blender recommendations? I'm not sure which ones and grind up bones or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ridley, Oct 7 1:49 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Whats a good type of blanket for dogs who rip things up?
Prayers please

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 1:14pm PST 
Karma sheds up stuff too. A piece of rubber mat used for horses is usually the best option. Not as cozy as a soft bed, but more comfortable than the bottom of a crate.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Foxxy, Jul 25 12:32 am

Behavior & Training > URGENT help needed! Bark collar suggestions

Prayers please

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 12:32pm PST 
I use a dogtra collar but they don't work on all dogs. A stubborn dog will bark and endure the pain. I've heard good things about the citronella collars, you may want to try that first.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Missy , May 28 3:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can ESAs ever become Service Dogs?

Prayers please

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 5:37am PST 
I think some people have part of the facts wrong (if the hat fits wear it). Not all people considered disabled under the ADA can qualify for an ESA (regardless of whether or not they qualify for a SD).

Animal Law ESA FAQ
"Does my dog help me function with my disability? This is critical: there must be a connection between the disability and the need for an emotional support animal. Remember this: you are asking for the landlord to make an exception for you to have an emotional support animal because this animal is necessary for you to use and enjoy your residence. You are not asking the landlord to change his or her no-pets policy because you need companionship or you are lonely."

There are also three cases at the bottom of the page that explore the above quote in more depth.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Karma, Aug 9 5:37 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Have any of you heard of this SD training center?

Prayers please

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 8:07am PST 
Like Dexter said, I doubt any SD training program would want pups that might have wolf in them and/or have no genetic health testing. You also mentioned in your other post that one of the pups was not affectionate, I'm assuming the rest of the pups might have followed suit. I don't think a SD program would want these kinds of pups since they could have a tendency to not bond easily with a new handler or want to work with someone other than the trainer.

Also something you said on another post doesn't really make them seem like good SD candidates:
The other pups kept flinging themselves down and yelping like I was beating them.

I think you should just concentrate on finding good pet homes that will love and train them.

(edited for spelling)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Karma, Aug 6 8:07 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > To Bark or Not to Bark....
Prayers please

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 10:56am PST 
Though Karma isn't a service dog I have taught him to bark in SAR when he finds an item far from me and he is off leash so I can find where he's at (we haven't worked with finding people yet, only items). It was a terrible pandora's box at first since like Sasha he'd never really barked when working before. For a while I couldn't get him to shut up so when he barked at something he wasn't supposed to I immediately ended the training session, packed up and went home. Needless to say, he soon got the point. I'm sure Sasha will realize it with a bit of additional training smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by U, Aug 7 2:06 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Wash outs?

Prayers please

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 4:40pm PST 
Karma isn't a service dog but more of a highly trained working (SAR training/ESA/Sport) dog. He's 15 months now and knows a really large amount of commands, tricks, sentences and hand signals. He was ridiculously obedient as a puppy and always did what he was told. At about 7-8 months he had an air-head moment that went on for a while. I started over at square one and went on from there, he's much better now, but still obviously in his rebellious teenage stage and some days are harder than others, though he is still willing to learn and train there are days he has no patience and goes in to retard-mode.

I would suggest taking a slow on training, some dogs go into overflow when you teach them too much at once, or too fast. Karma loves to learn and I teach him new things as good mental stimulation but I always make sure to respect his limits. Take the time to understand your dog and enter his head, if you feel he's having a frustrating day stop training for the day and have a "play day". Get out a few balls and toys and throw them all over the yard not giving any commands at all, just play with him. Run around the yard like a fool throwing toys in the air. It's a great way to bond with your dog and show him that he's allowed to have fun. Overworking any dog will make them go crazy.

At 7 months though I wouldn't worry. A lot of large breed dogs take a while to mature, and many don't calm down till age two. I wouldn't start any SD training till your pup is ready and focus mainly on basic obedience a few commands at a time like Ollie mentioned. I'm sure your dog will be fine once he matures a little more big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jul 26 2:52 pm

Behavior & Training > its ok, dogs like me!

Prayers please

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 11:17am PST 
Karma is a naturally aloof breed and while he does wonderfully in crowds he does not enjoy people getting down in his face or looming over him (most dogs don't). He doesn't flinch when people run there hands over his back when as they walk by (though passerby patting drives me insane!) but he doesn't like strange people shoving there faces inches away from his making kissy sounds. He's kinda like "wtf?", he would never bite or anything but he just doesn't like it and doesn't want affection from strangers. I usually say something along the lines of "he's not a fan of strangers" and try to walk along but some people are all like "It's ok, dogs like me!" or "but you are right there, it will be ok!" and try harder to get him to come by slapping there hands against their legs and hyper voices. It's like... duh.

You can shrug and walk away or be a bitch. I usually just choose the first option.

Uhhh and I also LOATH when people revert to trying to shove their hand in my dog's face so he can smell it, because obviously he is going to jump in your arms and give you hugs afterwards o_O. He can smell you just fine from 5 feet away k-thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 5:47 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Old Dog, New Trick

Prayers please

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 3:03pm PST 
Hello Tyson!

I wanted to give you an answer a few days ago but I completely pushed it aside. So sorry about that!

First of all I want to point out that on his page it says that Tyson is a fetch junkie. I would use this to my advantage. I would start by training Tyson that timer = fetch time (or you can use meal/treat times also if his preference is food).

You will want your timer to ring generally when you should be doing something (10-30 minutes before breakfast/lunch/supper etc). Have Tyson in the room with you so he will hear the timer go off and as soon as it does either "Tyson do you want a treat/ball?" Immediately leave the room to have a game of fetch or treat. Once he gets the point ask him to bring his ball to you when it rings (if you are using toys). After a a while he will come get you and offer you his ball when he hears the timer since he will have figured out that timer = playing/food. Eventually he will not need the timer to remember what time of day to get you since it will become ingrained in his routine. The important thing in training this is ALWAYS to be consistent, you MUST force yourself to get up and play with him when the timer rings, each time or it will not work.

As far as dragging you away, you can teach this after you've mastered the timer. Have him bring you a tug rope and wait a few seconds before taking it, you want him to poke you or try to get your attention. As soon as he does something (like put the rope on your lap/at your feet/paw you/nosepoke.. anything to get your attention). Praise and go play with him. It wont take him long to find out how to be perseverant.

Remember that only YOU can play with him during timer times. I suggest buying a special "you" toy (such as a squeaky KONG Wubba or KONG Tugga Wubba, available at wal-mart for 10-12$) that no one else in the house gets to play with but you. Do all your training with this "you toy" or "you treat". Everyone else in the household treat the toy as though it were invisible.

To teach him to bring you the toy/distract you when you become hyper-focused you may need a training partner. I have never trained this, since Karma does it naturally by nose poking me or bringing me toys, but I'll try to explain how I would do it if he wasn't a natural distractor. I will think about it and come back to you on that. Either way you should train with the timers first and get that down before you start something else, you don't want to confuse your dog. Chances are he may pick it up on his own, especially if the timers happen to ring when you are hyper-focused on something (extra big playtimes and praise in these times). Hopefully someone else will be able to help with this one.

As for finding Keys and phones, this one is rather easy to teach if you have a play-driven dog (not all dogs like to search for toys though so he may not want to learn this one). First you must clearly identify the object by it's name to your dog. I taught Karma this by sitting on the couch, you want to start by having him interested in the phone. Saying "Phone, Phone, Phone" in several different voice tones usually works. Once he's interested enough, hide the phone under your leg (in an un-accessible place so he wont try to put it in his mouth) and say "find the phone!". He should naturally move his head towards it and as soon as he does, treat/praise. Repeat the excersize a few times once or twice a day changing places often and hiding the phone further and further away from you. After he's got it down solid introduce another object.

Good luck training! You can PM me if you have any questions ;D
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Karma, Jul 1 3:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog Article
Prayers please

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 1:58pm PST 
Not sure if anyone has posted this one yet:
Service Dog Article
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Karma, Jul 1 1:58 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.