Postings by Argo

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Governer's Office of Disabilities doing survey for Texas
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Thu Jul 22, '10 2:35am PST 
http://governor.state.tx.us/disabilities/

hey everyone, i ran accross this today, its for anyone with any type of disability that lives in Texas and would like to help make the disability laws in Texas better...also, it deals with funding, ect to comply with the ADA requirements...

i already filled out mine and boy did they get an ear full...from crosswalks not working correctly and one guide dog team being left in the street as the guide dog tried to figure out what to do when the cars started coming at him and his handler...i was not there but heard it was not pretty....the handler and dog are fine...dog got handler out just fine...but i dont know if dog has future issues due to car "attack"....then there is the sidewalks needing redone, since i was walking with a friend of mine from the grocery store (we both just got off the VIA bus) who is in a powered wheelchair...she almost tipped over into the busy street!!!! if i had not been there to help, god only knows what would have happened...

it also asked about education, medical, our Vets with disabilities, transportation, parking, recreational, housing, you name it...its questions and then boxes like our postings here on Dogster....so plenty of room to vent...im glad i got the email for this, so i figured i would send it along...if any of you are living in Texas or know someone that is and who has a disability or knows someone with one, please have them fill this out....
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Jul 22 11:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > FIRST SD TEAM!
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 10:06am PST 
i agree...Argo and i are the first SDIT to attend our community college...im glad they are allowing her to train at the school...i think they understood that i wanted her to go to a yoga class with me at the school so that she could learn the difference of when im really asleep or just mediating...plus there is a lot of movement around the schools and i'm a pre-med student...so lol i need her to be ok with a lot of scents that i will be around...she did good in lab where she left the starfish, crayfish, frogs, clams, earthworms, ect alone...they could have said no...but they are allowing it because of her level of training thus far...if she hadnt been somewhat trained, i dont think they would have allowed her...

in my yoga class, even though i had explained to them the in's and out's of a SD and a SDIT, i still had one Vet Tech major that wanted nothing more then to say constantly (usually when she was in downward dog...where she could see her at)..."oohhhh what a good dog, look at you behaving and listening...ahhhh good gal come here...." the teacher and i had to have a conversation with her because it was getting to the point where it was annoying...it was good training at first, because Argo is very social...she kept trying to get up off her "place"...then she learned to stay but cocked her head back and forth...after that she just ignored her...

i dont have any problems at school except for people always asking to pet...i have set up rules, since she is always on duty no matter if she has the vest on or not...

1. Argo must be sitting
2. you can pet her only if she is sitting (or down for small kids)
3. if she gets up stop petting her
4. i will have her sit and then you can pet her again
5. if i say i am busy or late for something, she can not be petted
6. if she is having a bad day of training or i am, then no petting, try another day when things are better
7. if we are working, say trying to keep mom awake on the bus or in transit...then no petting

i find most just want to see her cus she is cute...i love the lines of her mask on her face and others find this cute too...also, for 4 yrs old she tends to act young...like a puppy...but she listens and does what ever i command her to do...i think the like her enthusiasium and are not used to a dog that is trained so well and wants to work! the first few weeks she is a novality...

also, i learned something that is intersting...i orginally had Argo in her old Search and Rescue vest and just put SDIT on the vest as well, in getto black marker cus i am poor....i also put "do not pet" next to the "please pet" but my dyslexia i didnt even notice i still had that on there...lol...so what i noticed is that a lot of people actually stop and do not pet, but ask me instead, why does the vest say to pet and then not to pet...i dont understand...i tend to think of Shakespere here and think "to be or not to be, that is the question" lol this mental break in petting her stops a good many people that actually stop to ask the question and then i can inform them of when and how to pet her...i found that when i just have her vest that says not to pet that i get more people trying to pet her then when i dont have the please pet along side it....lol an indiviual can be smart...people as a whole can be stupid! if they see one person they may think its a free for all...i noticed this when we go on the bus and practice our bus riding skills...

i would expect to spend the first week or two just getting people informed...i like the mass email or newspaper idea, but if your not someone that likes being put on display like that, this might not be a good idea, then again, since you've a SD your always on display it seems...i know in all my classes, i just showed up early to talk to the teachers so they knew what was going on...some professors just want to be informed but some are curious expecially if your disability isnt visable...since they can't ask they are in no way able to defend you from others...but again this isnt their job...and they can't tell others why you have the dog either, if you feel comfortable you can let them know...up to you...i choose to be up front with all my teachers and fellow classmates...in each of my classes i say hi and introduce Argo then explain that she is a SDIT and that there are rules for petting and interacting with her...i go though the do's and don'ts and this helps the students then remain focused on the teacher and keeps 30+ students from asking a ton of questions...universities can have 100+ students in some of the lower level classes...

oh thought of something, maybe you could have a gathering...we have events for disability students ect...maybe you could have Q/A information gathering...this could help clear things up and not have you doing 20 questions a billion times...

anyways i think im babbling...let us know how your first week is smile have fun and good luck smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Macy (SERVICE DOG), Jul 22 8:08 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Public Access training and annoying people....

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 5:16pm PST 
true...ive gotten used to it in a lot of ways...but when its 20mins later and your food is now cold by stupidity....its just annoying...i mean...if im there to eat or train...then im there to do that...its something called respect...we were working on not taking food on the floor at the resturant we were at, since there is an outside food spot... smile and by the time i finally got to my food it was cold...and i was pissy....but i think he was an idoit....the things he said...i guess i just cant take stupid people...if i inform and you still arent getting it...then look it up and leave me be...im not here to guide you though your life...**sighs**
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Jul 18 7:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Public Access training and annoying people....

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 2:22pm PST 
i was given promission to take Argo into Walmart to train her in her Public Access...while there there was a lady that would not leave us alone...we were working with a cart and Argo was doing wonderful...i would stop every now and then to "decide" on something on a self...she would sit and then some of times she would lie down to wait for me to pick what i was going to get on the self...this was when the dumb lady came by...

she said "oooooooooooohhhh....how cute...i just love dogs....can i pet her?"

i said, "im sorry, no, she is training right now...perhaps later when we are outside of the store and not in training mode, i will allow it...but no you can not pet her right now" i do allow people to pet her as long as she is sitting down and remains sitted, if she gets up for any reason, then she is not allowed to be petted until i put her back into sit and she stays...i am working on her CGC since i dont not have the time to enroll her during the summmer classes...we are hoping for this Aug....but i want her petting controlled and not while we are training in a store...

she says, "oh i totally understand, i know service dogs arent suppose to be petted...but ooooh she is so cute and im such a dog person..." this is when she started coming at Argo and me and was bending down to try and pet Argo....i put Argo behind me and again told her that she was training and to not pet her...the lady continued to not hear me....i kept backing away from her and grabed the cart and started off down another aisle...Argo just went were i went and such...the lady followed and again tried to pet her...i was getting very very annoyed at this time and my words were very harsh from her not understanding (im irish comanche...pissing me off is not always in ones best intrest, lol)....Argo went behind me and sit...staring at the lady but was not aggressive in any way...just sat and stared at the crazy lady not listening...

the lady said, "oh look she is afraid of me...oh she shouldnt be...come here cutty i will not hurt you..." at this point i told the woman off...and said that she was not afraid of her but was listening to my commands to not be petted and to follow my commands....she was in training mode and was doing her job...i told the lady that i needed to go about my life and do what i needed to do to live my life...which was not running around trying to avoid her ***....basically after cursing her out and getting all frustered she left me alone and we went back to our training....but it was annoying...she kept following us everywhere until i told her off...

another time...we were eatting at a resturant (TC's were they have outside tables) and this man kept asking me and my friend a bunch of questions, but he was an idiot...i mean really...i get annoyed sometimes when people dont understand something you spell out for them...but this guy...it went in one ear and out the other...he was a very general person who wasnt very educated and didnt seem to want to learn things either...he thought only the Blind had service dogs and after trying to explain that there are many different people that have service dogs for all sorts of life disabilities he just didnt seem to get it...and when i explained that there were peanut dogs and seasure (sp) dogs....mobility dogs...i named off a bunch of different types...that is when he asked me why i was training her and what she was for....when i said i was training her for my rare sleep disorder...and that i slept on avg. 12 to 14 hrs but have been known to do 36hrs before...he said, oh so you have insomina...i told him no...im hypersomic...meaning i sleep alot...i do not have trouble sleeping and i have trouble having a normal life because i sleep so much that i cant hold down a job or finish school without her...she wakes me to take my meds and to keep me up during the day so that i do not fall asleep...i can have a normal sleep/awake cycle...

he still was not understanding and said, "oh, well i have trouble sleeping every now and then and cant fall asleep...does that mean i can have a service dog?"

at this point i wanted to scream...i said no that only a doctor could proscribe and that a dog can not help you go to sleep...only remind you to take meds to sleep...but that does not inhibit ones life...i on the other hand could not hold down a job...lost tons of jobs for sleeping though work (not but an hour or two but the whole shift...) and sleeping though college classes...i was the top of my high school class and am in the top 1% for IQ but because of my sleep disorder along with my LD's...i am not even finished with college at 31yrs old...im broke and have been homeless several times, because i slept though things that i should have been able to get to if i had a normal body...this still did not get though to him...

at this point, my friend and i were so annoyed...we finally just told the guy that we really did not have enough time to explain and that we really just wanted to enjoy each others company and our dinner which was now cold...i also told him that i sometimes hate that now i cant just go into a resturant or place gas station, even a mall without becoming the center of attention and getting asked a billion questions...now mind you...we are still training so i have to get promission from the places im going to and have to really pay attention to were these places are at, ect....but the point is...for the rest of my life, at least i will be awake to enjoy it, but i will always never be incognito again....all i want is to come into a resturant or store of any kind and go about my business....when talking to someone and telling them that you would love to fill them in but you do not have the time...these people should just leave you be and either find out for themselves or ask you another time...its just so annoying...

how many of you go though this stuff all the time? i know ive seen many posts so far...i was just wondering, what others use to get these people to understand or to get off your back when your annoyed beyond your ok points? i mean, this even happens in pet stores...anyways...what do you do?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Jul 18 7:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Legal question about vests...

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 1:40pm PST 
when i was training Argo for Search and Rescue...i would vest her...but i had Search and Rescue In Training on her vest...but i think as long as she doesnt use it for PA then its just fine...she is just letting thoughs around her know that she is training and would like them to go about their business without getting up in hers...then again...if she was training for a specific job then i do think that the job should be listed on the dog....there really is no law that says that you can put one vest on only certain types of dogs...unlike getting police gear for a dog....where you have to have your badge id and stuff...vests are vests...its what you do with the vests and what you have to back up the animal with...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Argo, Jul 18 1:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > crickets...and cats....
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 1:34pm PST 
hey everyone...i wanted to let you know that we are doing really well with cats now...still some work but i talked to the guys at petsmart that run the cat shelters here...they said they had no problem with Argo working with some of their cats snoopy so we have been working with that...just wanted to inform yall on her progress where that is considered...the LAT is working somewhat and she is now able to pass a cat better without all the craziness...lol but the more cats that are around the more the excitement builds...but one step at a time smile

also, we are working on our public access and umm its cricket season...what do you do when your doggy has always bounced on the crickets they hear in the grass while going potty and then they see like twenty billion gathered all around? she tries to play with them...she will leave them alone if i ask her to, but sometimes they are in restruants having gotten in though the doors opening and closing...is it ok if she starts to go after one but i tell her to leave it and she does? i was planning on working with her to leave the poor things alone...again, since i wasnt orginally training her as a service dog, from puppyhood...i didnt know that this was going to have to be something i would have to change the rules on and break her off...she learns fast and is learning that there are new rules if she is going to get to spend all day with mommy helping her out...anyways...i am using the LAT with the crickets as well...but geess they are everywhere right now....
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Argo, Jul 18 1:34 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > prey drive with cats and squirrel...

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 7:35pm PST 
ahh thats what the LAT means...lol...brain dead this week...finals and tests every day...well the cats here where i live are good at not stressing...i have more trouble keeping them from trying to come and do circles around my legs...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Taser, Jul 10 3:10 pm

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 5:00pm PST 
what is the LAT game? no i have never used a clicker, unstead i use my tongue to make almost the same noise...i had to learn to do this because because i am totally ADHD and often lose stuff...so my tongue making a clicking noise was easier for me...

i have been doing exposure therapy since we got back into town...i will be starting this weekend, taking her to Petsmart to visit the adoptable kittens from the local shelters...they have a glass wall, just like the glass door at Jims...they are all kenneled on the other side, but i can get her to relax all the way and then work my way inside...step by step until she can be right next to them with no problem...at least thats the plan smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Taser, Jul 10 3:10 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > San Antonio, TX area service dogs?

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 11:24pm PST 
hey everyone, is there anyone within the Bexar county or San Antonio area that might want to work their dog with mine? also, might need someone for the PA test filming...anyways just wondering...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee, Jul 6 6:19 am

Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 11:03pm PST 
as for the look game...ive never tried it, but she loves find it so she might like the look game easily smile ill give that a try and see if it helps...it seems from what i watched that basically the treat is given before the rise emotional response happens..its almost like a look at me or watch me...except its redirect for sounds and not the behavior of doing crazy...the boundry is "i can look all i want, but when mom says to look back, i have to look back and cant go all crazy...i might still get to say hi...when she lets me" unstead of the uncontroled prey drive..this actually might work...Siberians have a naturally high prey drive, so working with it is the biggest challenge...thanks...we will start working with this this weekend...after finals...ill keep you posted on how it goes...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Taser, Jul 10 3:10 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.