GO!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Treats/ chews for clean teeth
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 10:50pm PST 
Hello everyone,

So I am wondering how effective, in your experience, greenies and such treats and/ or other chews are for clean teeth. Do they actually work? My little pup can get one down in half a minute, if that so I don't know if they would be a good investment.

Any tips?

We do grain free or homemade doggie biscuits, doggie ice cream, and bully sticks as well as frozen peanut butter Kongs but he doesn't chew on the nylabones any more. And be can chew through most things pretty fast, we use the black Kongs as be will take chicks out of the red ones and even thy get replaced every so often.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 5:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw & Kibble
Rocky

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 9:26pm PST 
I believe the logic is that dog intestines are short to help push food through faster so it doesn't have time to ferment and allow bacteria to proliferate. This is part of being a carnivore as herbivores and omnivores have much longer stomachs and flatter teeth to grind food. Kibble is inorganic and dry and takes a lot more work to process putting more strain on the body and staying in the body for longer periods of time. So you don't want to mix the two because you don't want the raw being held up in the intestines by the kibble and allowing bacteria growth that could make your pet sick. It's usually kibble can be fed six hours after raw or raw can be fed 12 hrs after kibble. It's kind of like how we aren't supposed to eat fruit after high protein meals because it holds up in the gut and allows for fermentation except we aren't dealing with foods that could have a high bacteria content since our food is all cooked and fresh.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 10:37 am

Raw Food Diet > Thoughts on sojo

Rocky

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 10:03pm PST 
Hey everyone. I would ideally feed prey model raw as i did for for almost three years but given many complicated circumstances in my life this isn't possible. I try to incorporate as much raw as possible and would say it is atleast 60-% of the diet but I do have to, more than not, feed pre packaged food and premade raw doesnt make the budget cut. Has anyone heard of sojos? Seems to be a good option for on the go and it's supposed to rehydrate to four times it's weigh once water is added. Seems to be more filler (veggie) based than meat based but seems to less processed than kibble. Any words of wisdom?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 10:37 am

Food & Nutrition > Picking the Right Diet

Rocky

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:28pm PST 
Oh and also the more bio available foods will cause less stinky farts and smaller less frequent poops. On raw my pup goes once a day and it's tiny. On kibble he goes twice atleast and it's thrice as big and stinky!

Also, what do you mean by reservation dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 9:13 pm

Food & Nutrition > Picking the Right Diet

Rocky

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:26pm PST 
To be honest I would ideally have my pup on a balance raw with varying meat sources. He does very well on red meats such as venison, pork, and beef but I've fed everything from Cornish Hen to lamb to turkey and rooster and rabbit, etc. due to budget constraint we are both on a eat what we can find diet so he gets whatever meats i can pick up on sale here and there at the store. I make sure he gets his liver too. He gets wellness simple salmon formula which is the only dry/ dog food he can process without issues. This is our on the go/ we are going to be away for a day or I didn't food shop till pay day option. He also gets natures variety pre made raw patties when i have a little extra cash and when times are real tough he gets something healthy from the fridge. For example tonight I didn't have any cash to pick up anything from the market and forgot he was out so I steamed up some frozen veggies from a veggie mix bag i had. Tossed in two raw eggs and crushed the shells for the calcium. The veggies should serve as a filler and because they are whole probably won't break them all down it will keep the poop together and fill his tummy. eggs are and excellent power food for people and dogs. Very nutritionally complete and makes his coat shiny. I am all about feeding your dog the best you can in your situation. Sometimes it's going to be processed sometimes its going to be human grade (my preference). Don't be afraid to switch things up here and there (we all have our junk food days) and most importantly your pup will love you anyhow.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 9:13 pm

Raw Food Diet > Scared, should I have been?
Rocky

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 10:43am PST 
It can be scary rocky would actually choke more on whole big boneless pieces but crunch up bony things more carefully. I say big chicken quarters will be ok at least the ones around here are almost 1 lb each. Whole cornish hens or whole chicken, the whole chicken you can split in half and that should warrant some chewing. They will sometimes spit back up into their mouths anything that is too big to go down the throat and then re swallow once its a bit smaller. Raw bones that are as soft like poultry won't splinter so he should be able to get them down ok. Take a deep breath, it will be ok.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 16 12:29 am

Raw Food Diet > Hi I'm new here

Rocky

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 12:24pm PST 
Chicken and turkey are great starter proteins. You want to eventually introduce some sort of red meat. Tmost readily available for me is pork or beef. Once he is ok eating some red meat I would introduce liver, little pieces and increase gradually. You would be going for 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% another organ, note that heart is not an organ even though its yummy. No rush though it took us about 2 months before I started feeding organs. Balance over time not in one meal, I try to do weekly to bi-weekly.

You will probably want some bone in every meal to keep things firm.

Sorry about your loss and congrats on your new pup
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 12:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A terrier discussion

Rocky

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 12:01pm PST 
Parson's Terrier?

My friend has a three year old female. Very beautiful, graceful, always alert with soft brown piercing eyes. Decently calm indoors and loves to snuggle up but needs regular exercise because they are high energy. They are good with children and sociable but they a too smart and bold for their own good. lol

I honestly don't think I have seen a dog with such high prey drive. She will take off if not leashed. She comes back but that eventually might be like an hour later.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 10:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > What cuts/meals do you gorge? +gorge question

Rocky

Barked: Wed Oct 12, '11 10:08am PST 
Venison trims, frozen in 3lb chunks in gallon sized bags. Beef chuck or round. Pork shoulders, whole rabbit, duck frames, cornish hen. Usually anything that is packaged big enough I will let him work on until he can't anymore. I found that packaging in 3lb chunks is best for us because he can't gorge more than about 2.5lbs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 12 10:08 am

Raw Food Diet > how much does your dog eat?
Rocky

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 9:39pm PST 
1. what breed/s are your dog if known?

Boston Terrier

2. What age and weight?

2yrs 4months, 20-22lbs

3. What activity level? (below, moderate,or above is fine to say, or how many hours of activity daily please)

half hour power walks about 5 times/wk.
20 minute runs in the yard/day (some agility work, soccer, fetch)
1 hour agility class/wk.
Dog park 2-4 hours a week on avg. (good weather he can finish off park with some swimming),
Occasional play dates.

4. How many pounds eaten a day?

About 1 lb maybe a little more

5. Is diet more fatty cuts or more lean cuts overall if you tell?

I have noticed he needs higher fat cuts and good portions of red meat to keep good muscle tone. He does very well on pork. If I can do 1/3pork, 1/3 beef, 1/3 poultry it is ideal for us. Game hen, boneless beef (occasional rib as treat), pork shoulder or rib chunks are staples. Depending on time of year and sales I feed venison trim with rabbit because it has higher amounts of fat. Duck with leaner cuts of beef and I do keep some fat and skin trimmings from people meat in case I need to add some (e.g.he is just working on a full rabbit for the week). I kinda just eyeball everything.

Gorging works well for us, I try to do it once a week, twice sometimes. He does about 2.5lbs on a gorge day.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 10 9:39 pm

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.