GO!

(Page 1 of 362: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Inconsiderate Neighbors! Must vent to someone!
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 8:27pm PST 
You live in an apartment complex. this means curbs and stairs are basically these kids' yard. You have to learn to share, just like they do.

It sounds like when you said to not touch your dogs, they stopped. And did you ask one of them to move the scooter?

My last apartment the boy that lived next door was best friends with the two boys down stairs. OMG!! With my fearful Bella it could be frustrating. I just tried to remember that they are children, they are allowed to run and play and BE KIDS...even if they live in an apartment.

Randomly picking up other peoples property (even if it is in your way) and throwing it is pretty rude if you didn't ask someone to move it for you first.

Again, the situation you describe just sounds like kids playing like normal kids. They run around, ride bikes, and hang out in big groups.

I would say if it bothers you then move to a house. But I live in a house and the one across the street has 7 kids (that are all theirs) so I have kids riding bikes, running, screaming, ect outside my house every day anyway.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 1:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Training a Sensative Dog
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 5:45pm PST 
I ended up using a word with Bella.

But someone at the time suggested an ink pen for the "click" because it is generally a soft sound.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 26 5:45 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Please Help! The rescues are not helping me!

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 1:59pm PST 
The best way to save him would actually be to give up your more adoptable dog-his packmate.

If she doesn't have any issues, she could be taken into rescue much easier. It is very, very, very difficult for a rescue to have a single dog home to place a dog into. Most of us that foster have out own, plus fosters in our house.

So have you tried placing the non aggressive dog into rescue, so you can keep the dog aggressive one and save both their lives?

Also, have you offered to foster yourself...you can crate and rotate while you wait for one to be adopted. That way, the rescue doesn't have to find a foster home.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 7:16 am

Behavior & Training > Moving from a cool climate to a hot wet climate....

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 8:03pm PST 
I'm from FL. You get up really early to walk your dogs. Or, the rains are usually over in the later evening and you can walk then...but you WILL need bug spray or else the mosquitoes will carry you away.

In high humidity cooling by evaporation doesn't work well. So when you sweat, it can't evaporate because the air is already saturated. This means evaporative cooling vests for dogs don't really work, so don't waste your money. You end up with a wet, hot dog.

If your dog likes the water get a kiddie pool, or find a local dock diving place.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 20 4:34 am

Behavior & Training > "Those kind of people" rant

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:39pm PST 
Your dog bit someone and you are breaking the rules by registering late.

Be happy you can do a home 14 day quarantine. Where I live those are only allowed IF the dog is properly vaccinated AND registered when the bite occurs. Your dog would be at animal control at your expense right now-not allowed outside and not allowed to see you.

And you really should be careful when you speak about things you do not know. Toto isn't a "poodle" person. She is a dog person. She has had many large breed dogs before her current poodles. She is also responsible for ensuring she contains all the dogs that come to her boarding business.

Honestly, when I hear about people trying to piece together fence coverings with scraps of bricks and railroad ties-I think of an irresponsible person who doesn't care to understand how dogs escape form yards. It sounds like a person who wants to whine and say they have tried...when in fact they have done the minimum possible so they can make excuses.

If all else fails, walk your dogs on a leash.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 19 11:08 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Question about adopting.
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:18pm PST 
Your other option is to not just look at local rescue, but county shelters and such. Based on where you live, an hour or two drive might get you out of the city where things can be more strict and into a rural shelter where they don't get as much adoption traffic.

The other options are a national rescue for a breed. I foster for a national breed rescue. So, they may have a dog close to you. Some breed rescues are more strict but other tend to look at you as an individual, not just an application.

Another option if you live in the northeast is a transport rescue. These rescues find out what kind of dog would work best for you, find it in a shelter in the south, do its vetting, then transport it to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Apr 30 1:02 am

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:00pm PST 
Daisy is my public dog. So I get people scared of the "big, black dog". Mostly I ignore them and put Daisy on the far side from them. She is usually ignoring them as well.

If I'm sitting still and the person needs to pass I'll say a quick "she's friendly, but i've got her" while i show I'm holding the leash so they can pass.
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > Do you like your pooper scooper? Or do you like to have one?

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:56pm PST 
For my yard I use the spade and scoop type. If they are large dog, you have to get a huge one of those single handed spring scoops and they can be hard to use.

Not to mention you have to dump it after almost every pile. Not such a huge deal on a walk-but if you pick up poop in your yard it is.

I use bags on walks but I have 2-3 dogs with me so I wouldn't have any hands to carry anything big.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 5 9:07 pm

Dog Health > Taking a newly spayed dog for a walk in a state park?

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 7:48pm PST 
I would leave them both at home this weekend. It's only a couple hours and even though they have energy-doesn't mean it isn't stressful on their bodies for them to be really active.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 9:09 pm

Dog Health > Taking a newly spayed dog for a walk in a state park?
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:27pm PST 
"for the weekend" Do you mean for more than say, 5-8 hours being gone?

1. You should not force a newly spayed dog to hike. Imagine going through surgery then being taken out and being told to hike. Your vet should have given you instruction on activity levels.

2. You should not be leaving a dog (or two) who are fresh out of surgery for a whole weekend alone. I do hope that what you wrote is not what you meant.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 9:09 pm

(Page 1 of 362: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.