Postings by Sonny

GO!

(Page 1 of 52: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > My dog is irritating my neighbors by barking when left alone!
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 10:54am PST 
You have some good ideas, exercise is a big help, if you can provide enough to tire him out.
Keep working on independence training.

How is basic training going? Mental activity can be as helpful as physical activity.

Have you tried food dispensing toys? Hiding his food around the house rather than putting it all in his bowl?

How about company? Some dogs respond well to another living thing as long as it is easy going. A human sitter, or a neighbors relaxed dog, or even going so far as getting another animal ( cats sometimes work wonders )
What other things does your dog enjoy that might engage him?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Thu 10:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Finally got a puppy!
Sonny

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 10:37am PST 
He is striking! I don't see this marking, well, ever, even though it is listed. Usually I see the two color, Dobermann markings.
Congrats.snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Thu 10:37 am

Behavior & Training > Nipping at grand children and growling

Sonny

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 10:00am PST 
I totally agree. Little kids and dogs can be a bad mix. Your grandma is a smart cookie.

I will bet the Murphy pays as much attention to Jazz as Jazz does to Murphy. Is it possible The kids can be taught to call Jazz and will get both dogs attention? It works this way with my hearing dogs, worth a try.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Thu 10:00 am

Puppy Place > Chihuahua potty training problems

Sonny

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:39am PST 
So sorry no one answered this sooner. I've been of the forum for about a year.

1st rule of training any puppy or dog is management. This means your little one should be confined, tethered to a human or under direct supervision 24/7 until she is consistent.
Crate is best while you are sleeping or not home.
Take her out regularly and reward her with several tiny bits of special food reward, and lots of praise and pets when she goes outdoors.

I bell train my puppies, especially if they don't bark, which a deaf dog may never do. The bonus is the bell won't scare your puppy at all. You can buy or make a set of bells.
If you choose to save $20 and make your own: At this time of year, bells are all over for holiday decor. Chose bells that are made in such a way to be safe. Some cheap bells can easily be chewed and the little
metal ball could be swallowed.
To train your pup, hang the bells on the door you will use to take your pup out, at nose level. It is best for training to use one door.
Put a spot of peanut butter or cream cheese on the bells. Have extra small rewards in hand. Your pup will
naturally smell and lick. When she lick vigorously enough, give her the thumbs up and reward! Then take her out to go potty. If you have a cue for toileting, use it, if not add one now.
Repeat whenever you think she should need to go out. Reward her and take her out if she rings the bells on her own.
Once she gets the hang of it, you may have to put the bells out of reach when she may not go out. (Some dogs will ring because they are board and this garantees attention.
As a last resort, I ask owners of tiny dogs to consider a Potty Patch. It is an indoor dog "toilet" that you pup can always get to if she isn't signalling her need to go. You can find them on Amazon and occasionally in
some pet stores.
Follow the same training, confining, tethering, supervising and rewards to teach her to use the patch.
Once you start a course of training you should clean all areas she has had accidents with enzymatic cleaner.
Let me know how it is going, always happy to trouble shoot.

I am a certified pet dog trainer.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Thu 8:39 am

Puppy Place > Come on guys! Give me your best shot! What breed(s) am I??

Sonny

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:12am PST 
Australian Shepherd, Foxhound mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Thu 8:12 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Worried no other dog will live up to her...
Sonny

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 2:44pm PST 
Tiller,
I can't help but laugh at your Cocker story. My first Labrador was like that, she should retrieve till she dropped. Frisbee, ball, stick, anything! My second Lab was a different story. I tried to teach her. I rewarded her for bringing back the toy. Nothing doing.

Every time she would go get it the first time and bring it back.
The second time with less gusto.
By the third time she gave me the look that said, "Go ahead, but you have to get it yourself this time."
I have 3 dogs now and none of them will fetch.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 14 2:44 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help for a dog with a (new) bite history

Sonny

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 7:35pm PST 
I think this should be looked at as a lesson not to forget - ever.

Dogs and kids should be a natural pair, but that is not the case. Children under age 5 are bitten more than any other age group, in fact 75% of dog bites are to kids. Corrective bites like this one are the usual type of bite and are often to the face.

When dogs get older, sore and crabby, they just don't have the tolerance for kids. Your sister should go ahead and get some good gates or pens and make sure dog and baby are always on opposite sides. I'm including a link to a very nice quality stand alone pen that can be opened as a long fence. I own it in black.
This brand and type is very well made

I can understand her being upset.
As a parent, it's terrifying!
My 19 year old son was bit by our neighbors Golden retriever when he was 7 years old. A year later, the dog nearly ripped the ear off a 4 year old. This was a young dog with poor parenting/leadership from his wimpy owner.

Last fall I visited with a boyfriends family and his niece complained she was not allowed to adopt a dog because her last dog (a pit bull) had been put to sleep for biting. He had on 4 - FOUR separate occasions snapped at children. My date was probably wondering if he was going to have to gag me or something to keep me from giving her hell. I showed amazing restraint.
(FOUR times?!? really?!? 4, WTH?)
She didn't seem like a stupid woman.... shock
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 2 7:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Merging two methods

Sonny

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:48pm PST 
What you are aiming for is a Balanced training approach, which is the most acceptable and common method used. Very few use only positive methods with no negatives at all. Thankfully fewer and fewer use compulsion methods only.

This is where the 4 quadrants come in....
Positive reinforcement - Always the first choice, always used with puppies, to teach new behaviors. A positive reinforcer is something you give to a dog for a behavior, to increase the chance of the dog repeating the behavior. (food, pets)

Negative punishment - This is one second choice. Don't be disturbed by the word "punishment". A negative punishment is a loss of reward, privilege or opportunity. (removed from the room for jumping on guests)

Negative reinforcement. - Also a common second choice. Negative reinforcers are things the dog does not like which are used if he misbehaves. When the dog offers an acceptable behavior this reinforcement is removed. (being ignored, shaker can)

Positive punishment - This is the bottom of the barrel, you gotta be desperate to use positive punishment. This involves a negative consequence to an undesirable behavior. (Collar correction fall into this category) +P can work if applied properly, but it can also do more harm than good and send a dog the wrong message entirely. (For example, using leash corrections when a dog barks a people passing the house can build a negative association to strangers and lead to aggression toward them)
This is Cesar Millan territory...
I know Cesar Millan is a favorite whipping boy here, but I hasten to add that his clients are often down to this last resort when they call on him. If the alternative is a dead dog, and Cesar can fix it, I don't care how it gets done.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Terry, Jan 9 8:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Why do dog owners never seem to teach their dogs boundaries and manners?

Sonny

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 4:45pm PST 
Heck, I'm a trainer. I can get a dog I never met before to heel and behave nicely in under an hour.

But one of my own dogs is kind of an a$$ sometimes, I won't mention any names (photo on left). It's a matter of how bad he used to be, and how much he has improved in our house. And he is mostly a good boy (pushy, entitled, nosey little jack-wagon).

I do have lines I won't permit my dogs to cross.
1. Don't put your feet, or other body parts on my guests, at least until they invite you.
2. Don't beg at the table and doG help you if you POKE someone for food.
3. Certain rooms are off limits (carpeted ones)
4. No dogs upstairs unless invited.
5. A dog waiting quietly on his or her spot will get fed. First one on, first one fed. dog
6. Walk at my side in your assigned place, no jockeying for position (and tangling up the leads)

I would like them to stop scaring the Fed Ex and UPS men, but I am secretly proud of them for sounding like a pack of hyenas when someone comes to the door. Catch 22 shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, Jan 16 11:26 am

Behavior & Training > Dachshund won't go to the bathroom at night or in the cold
Sonny

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 3:02pm PST 
I have neighbors with 2 tiny dogs who are not housebroken. Dad works a lot and mom just gave birth to the couple 3rd child. Given the low chance that the humans will take the dogs out on a schedule, I suggested they get a potty patch, or two - one for each dog.
Porch potty
Potty patch
And a bunch more on Amazon
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 2 3:02 pm

(Page 1 of 52: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.