Postings by Lucille

GO!

(Page 1 of 328: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Aggression AFTER neuter
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 1:00pm PST 
"WELL, my way of trying to correct that problem, was going up to the dog he was establishing dominance over, putting my dog on his back and letting the other dog sniff him... WELL, we are now at the point that ANY dog, (on or off leash) that he doesnt know, he aggressively lunges at and barks"

The association that may have been created in your dog's mind is that whenever he tries to relate to another dog you put him on his back in a vulnerable position. That's very uncomfortable for most dogs to be forced into that submissive posture especially with strange dogs. That is something dogs offer on their own, on their own terms. So if he lunges and barks at the dog and they don't come close, maybe he won't get put on his back in that scary position again. He's now trying to keep those dogs away from him before he can get rolled.

I would approach meeting other dogs now as if your dog is a reactive dog. There's a lot of good info out there on leash reactivity, it's very common. Most dogs go through a phase of it while they're learning to loose leash walk around strange dogs and people. Basically, you'll need to work on making meeting new dogs = good things happen, building up slowly using high value treat rewards or something else your dog really likes for the right kind of greeting behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Dec 29 12:03 am

Behavior & Training > HELP WITH NEWLY RESUCED LAB WITH HISTORY OF 1 SEVERE BITE
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:40pm PST 
Tyler: "The vet not willing to euthanize the dog says alot to me as most vets wouldn't hesitate in euthanizing a dog that has caused such supposed damage. More to the story than meets the eye i think."

I agree. Sounds like the vet wants the lab neutered and put in rehab training. Both could help if handled professionally and if this is not genetic. Neutering isn't a cure for behaviors, but I know many breeder/showers who neuter their males when they're finished. They have less issues integrating them with other dogs on retirement than they do with intact males. It takes the edge off so to speak in many sharp dogs. There should be a second opinion, this dog needs full vetting by another vet to check if there's something going on medically. I wish that stitch counts wouldn't be used as some kind of bite severity measure, it means almost nothing relatively. It all has to do with the surgeon, the size of the person bitten (this was a small child), the size of the biteset of the dog, and the placement of the bite (face, hands or leg yield vastly different stitch counts). There simply isn't enough info to call it a mauling, especially since the 16mo thankfully survived.

OP, please get this dog evaluated by a different vet, and have that info sent on to a qualified veterinary behaviorist. A good behaviorist will take that info into account and evaluate the dog in person to develop a behavioral plan. Then it's up to you to realistically decide if you can safely handle the training and management steps that are required to handle a dog like this, and you should certainly undertake this only with professional guidance.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Dec 19 12:40 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Have a mixed breed and know its parents?

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 8:42am PST 
Lucille's sire is an AKC Airedale, dam AKC standard poodle, out of an oops litter. Most people familiar with Dales ask if she is a black Airedale, especially if she's in a Dale hunt clip. That's the more common guess because I'm around terrier people a lot. People more familiar with Spoos ask if she's a Spoo or a poodle mix, especially if she's in a longer coat but all the same length. Her coat is curly but also has some of the wire hair I'm used to in Airedales. I know both sire and dam, Lu's got some temperament traits of each that I can readily spot. It sounds like a crazy mix at first, but she's very even tempered. High drive but with a great off switch in the house. Her health so far is good, but she's fairly young. Sire and dam had good hips, not sure yet if Lu will be as lucky in that regard. Before I start anything more strenuous than what we've been doing, I'll probably have her evaluated. She's super smart and a joy to work and train with, best travelling dog companion I've ever had, too.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Jan 8 3:21 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Things you've given up for your dog

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:45am PST 
Clean floors, Rexy, you mean those exist somewhere???

I don't think there's a surface in the house that doesn't have a paw print on it. After I clean, I swear it's like a rush to see how fast she can put her prints on things...Oh well...I try but it's all for naught.big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 17 8:36 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > SunBeam Gourmet dog treat recipes

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:42am PST 
I haven't seen this yet. Is it an appliance like a George Foreman grill or something? Where'd you get yours? Sounds interesting...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 7:30 pm

Behavior & Training > I HATE WINTER. Just venting....
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:43am PST 
I love New England winter, fall and winter are the best time of year here. I hate heat and humidity, and my curly coated black dog does, too. We still hike in that weather, but it's not as enjoyable for us, my breathing suffers and Lu gets heated up quickly. I've got to plan hikes where there are good sections of shade, bring more water etc. Unfortunately, unlike drier climates, anytime the temp gets up there the humidity always does here at the same time.

None of those worries this time of year. We can be much more active in the winter. I plan our more challenging routes uphill this time of year. Lucille loves the snow as much as I do. I don't have to be as diligent about getting her coat clipped shorter. I made sure to get a breed that enjoyed being out in all weather and had the coat for it because I'd been on a breed before that couldn't. Her mind is sharper and she trains better when it's not so hot, too. Same goes for me, my brain is just blah in the heat and humidity...

Vent on big grin I understand, I just get it in the opposite way. I know I feel like doing it when it's 90 with 95% humidity. ugh. I could never live in a climate where it was like that for long.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Milton, Dec 15 12:09 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Things you've given up for your dog

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:18am PST 
I used to read more. Most of that time is taken up doing dog stuff and now I tend to read about dog stuff. I also give up a good percentage of my paycheck ha ha. (THe poster who said that is spot on...) It's much better for me to be less sedentary, much more active since Lu came into my life. I hiked before, but not daily.

Honestly there's not too much that I enjoy doing that Lu doesn't want to do. Being outside, hiking and exploring are my favorite things and it's much better with a dog who loves it as much as I do.

You can have a lot of fun travelling with even a big dog. Lu's 80lbs, we all travel in a camper on vacations. She has a blast and so do we. Give it a shot someday...there are more and more dog-friendly spots opening up all the time. Some dogs' behavior actually shapes up during travel. It's like Lucille decides to put her best foot forward and makes me proud each time.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 17 8:36 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Stray/lost dog question.

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:48am PST 
I wouldn't try to round up a dog from a car. Sometimes loose dogs have either been recently hit or almost hit so they're naturally skittish of anything coming from a car. It's better to park and walk to the general area where the dog's been hanging around.

I agree with Savannah. Even though it was cold, last time I had to round up a loose fella...I fortunately happened to be frying up a ham steak in the house. I just went near the spot the guy had been recently and sat down holding the fragrant ham chunk. He came around in about ten minutes. He obviously could smell my dog and was already attracted to the yard. You generally have hunger on your side. Slow movements and calm soothing words will get them to approach more often than not right along with the yummy stuff. He was a really nice B & T coonhound, had him back with his owner in a few hours.

Give it another shot and good luck. It is a terrific feeling to give back a missing pup.big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 10:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > If I were to get another dog...

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:22am PST 
"The most important to me is a trainable dog who wants to do whatever I tell it to when I tell it to. It doesn't have to be supersmart, as long as there is no trace of stubbornness."

I'm not so sure such a breed exists. Sure, some are more biddable than others, but I've been on dogs for decades of varying breeds, and I've yet to meet a one that has 'no trace of stubbornness'; even soft biddable dogs exhibit that from time to time. Dogs are creatures who do have their own minds, drives, wants etc. Those who complain of stubborness often need to look at their own training ability and techniques.

I'd be more concerned about working through the wall you've hit with your current dog. Enroll in a class maybe that would be suitable for your current ACD (I didn't catch the full breed or mix of your current dog so I could be wrong here), maybe use this as an opportunity to advance.

Lab or Golden might fit in the future, so would several of the herding breeds depending on what activity you're wanting to start.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 11:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Question regarding working drive?
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:41am PST 
"That's really one who should be held back by the breeder, given skilled and expert raising, training, and carefully placed as an older puppy or young adult."

Exactly what is going on with the two Airedales left out of the four I've been handling. Two are finishing CH, the two left are too drivey for pet homes, off the charts smart, testing, and just not ready for hunting or working yet. The breeder is wise to keep them longer. They are great dogs, but can be sharp, and it's still tough to tell where their nerves lie. Breeder follows up on the pet placements ofcourse, from the same litter. Doing very well and so happy being weekend warriors. The two I have fun with, my goodness I can't even begin to think how poorly they would have fared had they been placed in those spots instead. And those homes have experienced dog and Dale people...these dogs are just right on that fine line at the moment and they mature notoriously late. hail to those who can sort a litter properly.

I am not sure if Hovs mature late as I have little experience with the breed, if they do, that's a big factor in these decisions, at least it should be.

Good luck, Ty. I've been offered co-own and it's a lot to think about. Weighing it all gives me a headache after awhile. Wishing you the best in whatever you decide.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tyler , Dec 13 7:30 am

(Page 1 of 328: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.