Postings by Caddy

GO!

(Page 1 of 25: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Problems with a Dobie boy.
Caddy

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 10:37am PST 
It's been quite a while since I've been on dogster, nearly 3 years since I adopted my caddy bear. Back then I had a ton of questions and everyone was always so helpful. So I've come to you guys with more questions seeking helpful advice.

I currently have a 7mos old Doberman male, Rex. Technically he belongs to my boyfriend, but regardless he lives in my house. I've had the pleasure of knowing this pup pretty much his whole life. He has a natural sweet and calm disposition, and is incredibly intelligent and easy with training. Only what has me worried is that lately, and assuming a lot of it has to do with him hitting puberty, he's becoming aggressive. He's gotten in a few scuffles at the dog park but only with un neutered males. He is also not neutered (which I wish I could neuter him but my boyfriend won't allow). And a 10mos old unneutered rat terrier male also lives with us, whom Rex has grown up with and loves, and they too haw gotten into scuffles recently.

When this happens I do what I know. I calmly grab Rex by the collar verbally scold him and put him into a sitting position until he has calmed down. At the dog park this usually works and he will go about happily playing with the other dogs, leaving all unneutered males alone. But our last trip he wouldent stop antagonizing a un neutered male pit that ran around trying to hump everything. However if he encounters a calm un neutered male, he is absolutely fine.

I'm kind I at a loss of what I do. My German shepherd, Caddy, is great with other dogs, listens perfectly, and is a real role model for her breed. I want the same for Rex. I know he has it in him and I believe it's possible to have him calm and well behaved even while not neutered. Puberty is just hitting him so hard and I've never delt with a possible overly aggressive dog as my own.

I work at a dog boarding, training, and daycare facility , so I'm not new to behaviors and communicating with the pups but even with my experience and knowledge I'm having a hard time.

Any advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Jan 5 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Anxious pee?
Caddy

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 6:09pm PST 
Greetings! I believe its been a good year since I`ve been here! I come asking a question not about my Caddy, but about her cousin (By brother and Sister-in law`s dog) Sadie.

They`ve been having an issue with peeing lately. Apparently, when my brother gets home from work (he is first to get home) Sadie has developed the habit of completely soiling the couch and floor. When Sadie first did this, my brother admitted to giving her a nice good swat while sending her outside. Of course, not the best decision. After realizing that swatting her wasen`t going to make matters better, my brother has spent the past week coming home, and walking into the house with a neutral attitude. Not saying, looking, or touching Sadie. He just simply walks into the house, and again, she soils wherever she is. Today, he attempted a positive approach, and instead opened the door, and called for her sweetly to come onto the porch. He said after about 5-10 minutes of calling her, and hearing her scamper up and down the hallway of the house, not sure weather or not to come, he walked in to find that she had already peed all up and down the hallway. They`re really at a stump, and don`t know what to do. He thinks shes afraid of him, and thinks she`ll get swatted, and that is why she pees, but could it be something else? Sadie has a dog door, and can go outside to use the bathroom whenever, and does, so I`m not sure if a full bladder is the case.

I suggested my sister in law put Sadie on her leash, and have treats handy. To let my brother walk into the house several times, and treat her for not peeing. They both say that with my sister in law there, that she dosent pee, but I figured just the act of seeing my brother walk into the house and getting rewarded was a good start.

Is there anything else they can do? They`re new couch, an $8,000 piece, is now ruined, and they`re not exactly thrilled about it.

Suggestions please?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lobo, Nov 16 11:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dogs best for cold climates?

Caddy

Barked: Tue Dec 21, '10 11:17am PST 
Grooming woulden`t be a big issue for us. Granted, something like a great pyre seems a bit TOO much. I brush Caddy daily for 10 mins, even if I don`t need to. I find it as great bonding time, and she gets a massage throug the whole process.
I`d mainly like to find a dog obviously tolerant of the cold,whom has a great, friendly disposition towards children, other people, and animals, yet still has that edge of 'protectiveness' when it comes to our house/us. Willing to please, and decently active.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Yo-Yo, Dec 28 6:54 pm

Behavior & Training > What else can we do?

Caddy

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 10:25am PST 
Nothing?
confused
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 20 11:08 am

Behavior & Training > What else can we do?

Caddy

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 3:03am PST 
With Caddy, that is. It seems like the past few months have been, well, boring?
I mean, we`ve been taking her more and more places. Perfecting her basic and some other obedience, and getting really prepared for our GCG and TDI testing.
I just know there is more that we can do together, but I just don`t know what! I`d LOVE to visit some rally-o and agility trials (If they had any around here) but unfortunately they don`t. Don`t get me wrong, theres plenty of times when Caddy and I just take it lazy for a few weeks, but we both seem to enjoy it so much more when we learn new things, or are trying out something new.
Caddy will make one year on Dec 25, and I just feel like its begenning to be the perfect opportunity to try new things.
So please, any ideas?
blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 20 11:08 am

Caddy

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 2:51am PST 
We`ve considered borders, however with all the small animals we`ll be having around the house I`m not too sure they would be a good choice. (We`re already making arrangements with a breeder for two pet skunks!) Then again, many people could probably say the same thing about belgians and yet Caddy is wonderful when it comes to small animals!
I just had to laugh when he asked me 'How about a Lassie dog?' (Hes learning.) Which, in all, dosen`t seem to bad of a choice. They fair well in cold, and seem less 'high-strung' then borders. (Atleast from my personal experience.) And seem great around kids. Just TONS of grooming though.

laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Yo-Yo, Dec 28 6:54 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > An introduction

Caddy

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 7:39pm PST 
Its scary how much Hera looks like Caddy when she was a pup! shock
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, Dec 20 11:26 am

Caddy

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 4:47pm PST 
So, last month the fiance found out where he`ll be getting stationed to next. Idaho. Although I`m very greatful he won`t be going overseas, I`m not to fond of that cold!
Anyhow, It was decided that in about another year, when I move in with him, that we would get another dog. However of course we didn`t want to begin breed searching untill we knew around where we would be living.
Of course, like most guys, he want`s a 'macho' looking dog. He is incredibly fond of Kangals, however its deffinately not the type of temperment we need. He also likes irish wolfhounds. A breed I`ve always been fond of, too, and it`d make for a nice running partner for him now and then. Burnese mountian dogs are on our list as well.
While we bothe agree that huskies and malamutes are beautiful, wonderful dogs. Its just not a breed that matches eaither of us.

With Caddy, we love her so much because she is a bit of everything! She LOVES kids (which is good considering we`ll be having some one day)And gets along great with other people,dogs,cats,and small animals. And yet shes slowly begenning to become protective over the property as she gets older. A trait we enjoy about her.

I simply just suggested that we get another belgian, and that would be that.
Though, he wants a 'different breed'
He also not fond of spitz-looking breeds (unfortunately)

Weather we plan to adopt or go to a breeder hasen`t beed decided yet. We`d like to just get it narrowed down to a few breeds first. =]
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Yo-Yo, Dec 28 6:54 pm

Puppy Place > Caddy and santa!

Caddy

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 6:57am PST 
Haven`t been on in quite a bit. We had to buy a new computer.
But any how, wanted to show everyone the Cadster and Santa =D They actually used our photo as their newsletter cover!

http://tinypic.com/r/15gfgix/7
Can you believe that my big bear will make 1yr on Christmas!!! It seems like just yesterday we adopted her!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Dec 20 7:50 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Spoke to some Delta members today.
Caddy

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:56pm PST 
Well, if this is the case then I`m back with my oroginal decision to go with TDI. I`m not going to lie about what I feed my pooch, and don`t agree that they`ve banned raw feeding. I also won`t sport a purina patch, or purina logo, regardless of size.

Thankfully at the convention today, I was able to meet several people in whelchairs, and two people in crutches. I`ve been meaning to introduce such things to Caddy, to see how she would react, and I don`t even think she even acknowladged it, so I was very happy about that! Though, there was a 'dog' mascot. (someone dressed in a dog suit), and Caddy did freak out a bit when he tried to pet her. I asked to shake his hand and 'petted' the costumes arm to show Caddy everythign was fine and she eventually went up to sniff him and allowed a small pet on her head. Which is more then I can say for most of the other dogs who high-tailed it in the other direction when they saw him comming! BOL
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy Dog, Oct 24 7:45 pm

(Page 1 of 25: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.