GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > Any suggestions for how to get dehydrated dog to drink?
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Mon Jun 9, '14 11:48am PST 
His gums are fine and pink and his CRT is about 1-2 seconds. I think it's just a fairly minor dehydration and probably nothing that requires vet care. I just need to get the little guy to drink more but he's not very interested. I'm going to start adding a bit of water to his food but that may still not be enough, especially now that it's hot. When I get back from a walk with him and my two dogs my dogs go straight to the water bowl and drinks a decent amount. This little guy will only drink a little after I bring the bowl to him. I'm hoping it's just stress related due to being in a new place and that it gets better in time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 14 11:25 am

Dog Health > Help! Dog won't take Pills
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '14 10:52pm PST 
Here is my recommendation for dogs that won't take pills in food and can't be pilled directly for whatever reason:
Get a 3cc or 5cc oral syringe, a pill crusher (can be found at most pharmacies) and a can of baby food with chicken or beef. Crush the pill and mix it in with a small amount of the baby food, pull the plunger out of the syringe and put the baby food mix into the syringe through the back end (it's a little tricky but doable). Put the plunger back in (be careful that you don't eject the baby food mix in the process - put the mixture towards the back of the syringe and leave space in front to avoid ejecting it when you re-insert the plunger). Stick the syringe into the corner of the dog's mouth, inject it quickly, hold his mouth closed and gently rub his throat to make him swallow.
Make sure that you don't have too much baby food since the more you have the easier it will be for the dog to spit it out. It's easier to get him to swallow a small amount.

This works with most dogs and you don't have to open the dog's mouth to insert the syringe into the corner of his mouth.

Another option is to turn to a compounding pharmacy to see if they can make the medication into a treat, a flavored liquid and sometimes even an injectable. Some meds can also be made into a transdermal patch or gel (that is absorbed through the skin). There is a compounding pharmacy that makes pet medication only called Roadrunner Pharmacy. Just have your vet call them. Some meds are more expensive than usual while others are cheaper.

I personally like giving sub-q injections to animals that are hard to medicate, especially cats but dogs too. It's easy, quick and most animals don't even flinch. I have two cats that get daily shots and I can give them their shots while they're sleeping without them even waking up. Cats and dogs are not as sensitive to getting shots as humans are so you shouldn't worry about hurting them, especially if you use a thin needle like on an insulin syringe. In fact, it's much less stressful than getting oral medications when the dog fights it. If you have a cat or dog that need frequent medication and is difficult to medicate I highly recommend it. It's very easy to learn how to do it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 9 2:47 am

Behavior & Training > Should dog meet old family or not?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '14 8:49pm PST 
My neighbor's little dog was dumped at the shelter about a week ago which really saddened me so when I found out I made arrangements to go get him. It took a few days but I got him out two days ago. I have a new home for him lined up but it will take some time to arrange transport so he will stay with me for another couple of weeks.

So far it's going quite well. The dog is settling in fine with us. He has some separation anxiety so he cries some when I leave but other than that he's a happy little guy.
His old family lives practically next door to us but I haven't had a chance to tell them that I got their dog out of the shelter yet. (I mentioned that I would try to help him when they first told me that they had given him up). I'm going to talk to them about it tomorrow and it's a possibility that they will want to see him. They have three kids, two of whom are teens and did much of the care taking for the dog, and I know they were very upset when the dog went to the shelter. All three kids cried. I would like them to meet for the kids' sake but I'm not sure if that's best for the dog. I don't want to confuse or upset him.

Oddly enough he hasn't made any attempt to go to their place when we're outside which I thought he would. However, you can see their garage from our living room window, where the dog spends a lot of time, and he's perked up when he's seen their car coming. I think he's quite attached to the eldest daughter.
I don't want him to meet them and then think he's going to go with them to their place and be upset when they leave without him. I also don't want to rekindle something in him and cause him to want to run to their place when we're out walking. Then again, although it's only been two days, he has become quite attached to me and follows me around everywhere so maybe he would feel secure enough with me that meeting them wouldn't be too upsetting. And maybe he would handle it just fine.

What do you guys think? Should I let him meet his old family outside, between my place and theirs, or should I say no if they ask to meet him? I want to do what's best for the dog and the kids both. I could really use some advice.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 3:50 am

Dog Health > Any suggestions for how to get dehydrated dog to drink?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '14 8:10pm PST 
I'm currently fostering a little dog for a couple of weeks until he can go to his new home. I'm fostering him independently, not through an organization. I've known the dog for a while but he just came to stay with me a couple of days ago after spending a few days at a shelter (long story). He's a 2-year old Doxie mix.

The dog isn't housebroken so he's peed on the floor a couple of times and is now wearing a belly band which he's also peed in. Every time he's peed his urine has been very bright yellow. He doesn't seem to have any other problems so I believe that the urine is so yellow because he's dehydrated. His skin doesn't snap back as fast as it should when I pinch it either and he doesn't seem to be drinking very much. I've tried to get him to drink by bringing him to the water bowl or bringing the water bowl to him and he drinks some but not nearly enough. He eats wet food so he gets some fluids through that but after two days his urine is still very yellow.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get him properly re-hydrated? I've tried to give him ice but he's not that interested in it. I was wondering if I could give him some goat's milk or lactose free cow's milk? I'm thinking he may like it more and be willing to drink more. I give one of my cats sub-q fluids and I thought about giving him some too, just 100cc or so. What do you guys think?
I really want him to be re-hydrated. Especially now that it's hot outside it's so important to drink enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 14 11:25 am

Dog Health > Bleeding bumps and "raw" skin on paws

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 1:10pm PST 
My neighbor's dog has bumps on his paws that instead of getting better are getting worse. It's mainly on the bottom of his hind paws but he may have some on his front paws too (I'm not sure). It started out as a few small bumps on his paws that didn't seem to bother him at all and weren't that noticeable. Now, however, it's gotten worse and there are small scabs on the tip of bumps. The skin in between the pads, around the bumps, is pink and raw (the dog is black) and a bit swollen in places.
A couple of weeks ago the dog came inside from a walk and one paw was bleeding. It looked like he had cut himself on something but most likely the wound was related to these bumps. The wound was washed and treated with antibiotic ointment and healed well. However, he now has a new, smaller and more shallow wound on his paw which looks a bit like a scratch.

The bumps and sores don't seem to be bothering the dog much. He doesn't appear to be having any pain and walks just fine. His owner says that he licks his paws a lot though.

Unfortunately the dog's owner is not a responsible dog owner. Other than getting rabies shots the dog has never seen a vet because the owner doesn't think it's necessary. He refuses to get the dog neutered because he doesn't want the dog's personality to change and he thinks it's unnecessary. He is unemployed so money is an issue too when it comes to vet care.

I considered that the bumps may be papilloma virus (warts) but it doesn't look like it.

The dog is a 4-year old Pit/Lab mix.

Here is link to a pic of one paw. It doesn't show the bumps and raw skin very well but it should give you some idea of the problem. It's the only pic I have.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/zigzosh/DudesPa w_zpsff0baca4.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how to treat it?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 5:38 pm

Grooming > What is a good waterless shampoo for incontinent dog?
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:35pm PST 
My 12-year old Eskie mix is on diuretics for her heart disease and unfortunately it causes her to have accidents at times, especially when she's sleeping so she ends up getting pee on her side and leg. I don't want to keep giving her baths all the time so I'd like to find a waterless shampoo or something like that that I can use just to clean the area that needs cleaning and that doesn't cause any discomfort to her.
Does anyone know of a product or maybe even something homemade that I could use, preferably something that isn't very expensive?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 9:51 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Can you make a meal with gizzards and hearts?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 2:11pm PST 
I've got a package of gizzards and chicken hearts and I wanted to cook it up for my dogs. I'm wondering if it would be okay to make dinner for the dogs using the gizzards and hearts as the meat source? If so does anyone have a recipe I could use or some suggestions for how to cook it and what else to add to it for a palatable and at least somewhat balanced meal.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 8:58 am

Food & Nutrition > I finally found a food my sick dog will eat!!! (Evanger's)

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:18am PST 
My 12-year old Eskie mix has congestive heart failure and the meds she's on affects her appetite. I've had a hell of a time getting food in her the past few weeks. Dry food is out of the question. She won't touch it. She would eat canned food but only a few bites at a time and only from a spoon. She would not eat from her bowl. I tried a bunch of different canned foods - everything from junk like Alpo to foods that cost $3/can. Someone here suggested I make satin balls for her so I did that but, to my surprise, she refused that too. She did finally eat it after I cooked the satin balls but I still had to coax her.

A few days ago I got a couple of cans of Evanger's Dog Food expecting the same result as usual. But I was pleasantly surprised - she loved it! Not only did she eat it from a bowl, she finished it and even ate more of it later that day. I'm thrilled! My other dog who is not sick but an extremely picky eater also loved it.

It's a pretty different dog food than what you usually get. Many of the different flavors just contain big pieces of meat and some vegetables in juice. It looks like something you'd make at home. What you see is what you get. You don't have to look at the ingredients to know what's in it. Some flavors have organ meat in them (one can I bought had a big piece of tripe which my dogs weren't able to chew). Just the kind of nasty stuff dogs love. Some of the flavors are more traditional pate style though.

I highly recommend this food if your dog is a picky eater. Some of the flavors are not nutritionally complete and is indicated for supplemental and intermittent feeding only but for a few days they're just fine. There are nutritionally complete versions too. It's not cheap but it's no more expensive than other premium foods.

I'm so happy to have found a food Rocket likes and the fact that Toshi likes it too is a great bonus.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 6:54 am

Food & Nutrition > What's a good supplement for dog that is not eating enough?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 11:41am PST 
My 12-year old American Eskimo mix has congestive heart failure and is on several medications which seems to effect her appetite. I'm having a very hard time getting her to eat and usually can't get her to eat enough. I'm going to have to get her a good supplement that will provide both nutrients and calories. It's easier to get her to eat straight meat but that doesn't have everything she needs so I'm hoping to find a supplement that will provide her the majority of what she needs nutritionally so that I can feed her what she likes.
I'd prefer to find a supplement in pill form if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good supplement that may work for us?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 29 9:26 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Is there any good, tasty but cheap food I can make at home for two senior dogs?
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:02pm PST 
My 12-year old has been having some pretty serious health problems lately and is on several medications which seems to affect her appetite. Normally she eats anything. Whether or not it's edible isn't that important as long as it smells good. She'd even get excited about broccoli. Now, however, she won't even eat ground beef and rice. We've been through several different foods the past few weeks. It started with a more palatable kibble - from Natural Balance to Science Diet which she normally loves. That worked for a few days. After that I moved to canned food - Solid Gold with tripe which she would normally kill for. But that only worked for a couple of days. I ended up having to sit on the floor and spoon feed her to get her to eat (oddly enough she'd eat this way but not directly from the bowl). We tried some other canned foods without much luck. A few days ago I decided to try boiled ground beef and rice and that was a big hit. She inhaled it and so did my other dog who was born a picky eater.
By today, however, she has grown bored with this too and only ate half of her dinner. It's not that she wasn't hungry because she gladly ate chicken from the table later and finally, to get something in her, I tried giving her some canned cat food and that went down just fine.

I think what I'm going to have to do is to rotate foods, maybe find a few different recipes. I think I'll be most successful with homemade food but unfortunately I can't afford to keep getting them ground beef all the time so I need an affordable version that is healthy and tastes good. Maybe mix different sources of protein, like some ground beef and some liver or even gizzards or something else nasty that dogs love.

I could really use some good, affordable recipes.
My dogs are 10 and 12 and the 12-year old has congestive heart failure so if someone has a recipe that is good for that that would be great.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 21 10:02 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.