Postings by Tika

GO!

(Page 1 of 50: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > diarrhea, elevated yeast levels in stool
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Tue May 13, '14 3:59pm PST 
For the last few days, Tika's been having diarrhea, and each bout is accompanied by lots of gassy noises. Other than that she seems fine--devouring her food, active, barking at squirrels, etc. I took a stool sample to the vet yesterday and expected to hear that she had giardia or something similar, but the vet called today and said she tested negative. However, he did say she had elevated levels of yeast in her stool? Unfortunately I wasn't the one who got the call and that's all the info I got. He said to try fasting her, which I'm going to do, plus I'm going to put her on a chicken and rice diet for now to see if that helps. He said we could also try a broad-spectrum antibiotic too, or some pro-biotics.

Now, I know dogs can test negative for giardia and still have it if the stool sample that was tested didn't happen to have any parasites in it, and I still suspect it may be the culprit. However, can anyone explain what elevated yeast levels might mean? I'm rather annoyed with the lack of info my vet passed along. Also, any other advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zack, Jun 3 11:41 am

Behavior & Training > First coyote encounter
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 6:48pm PST 
A few days ago our neighbor came over to warn us that his daughter had seen a coyote while she was heading out to work the previous morning, and that it was huge--almost the size of a GSD. Tracks in the snow showed that it had gone through our yard, and indeed had trotted right down our front walkway. When I followed the tracks back further I discovered it had been sniffing around right next to where I park my car! If I'd left for work a little earlier that day I would have run right into with both dogs.

Good thing I'm chronically late. laugh out loud

Coyote tracks

Big paws
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tika, Dec 25 6:48 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You learn something new every day

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 6:39pm PST 
The other day a dog came in for boarding, and apparently he's a Ganaraskan. Alas, my obscure-dog-breed-fu failed me, because I'd never heard of them. He basically just looks like a little poodle mix. I doubt I'd recognize one walking down the street!

What little info I could find says the foundation breeds were poodles, bichons, and spaniels, and that they've been bred as the "perfect therapy dog", and that they do actually breed true.

Anyone else heard of them? Opinions?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 2:48 pm

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 10:46pm PST 
Recently, a customer at work told me she was certain Tika must be part English Shepherd.

Yeah, I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Piper, Jul 8 9:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I MET AN ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD!!

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 4:45pm PST 
There's an Anatolian Shepherd named Wyatt that comes to the doggie day camp where I work. He's remarkably sweet and friendly, and very dog social. In fact, here his is playing with some of his buddies.

I always tell people NOT to use him as a typical example of breed temperament, though! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jun 10 9:10 pm

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 11:23pm PST 
My mother is actually dog-phobic, due to several bad experiences she had when she was young. She's fine with dogs she knows, but strange dogs make her nervous. If she's out walking and she sees someone with a dog, she'll either cross the street or press herself against a wall until they pass. Heck, I'm terrified of centipedes (found one in my bathroom the other night--ugh!), but I react to them by backing up and wrapping my arms around myself and hyperventilating. No dramatics involved. IMO, people who freak out and shriek and generally make a scene are doing it for just that--to make a scene.

I don't think I've encountered anyone who's afraid of my dogs, but if I did I would keep a respectful distance and hurry past them.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > I should have asked this 8 years ago.

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:39pm PST 
Like everyone else, I apologize and offer some reassuring pats.

However, the dogs don't seem to care if they hurt ME! There was one time at work where a group of dogs that was running around the yard together slammed straight into me from behind. I went flying backwards, dislocated my knee, and then chipped my tooth when I landed face-first on the pavement. The dogs didn't even stop to look at me--they just kept right on running and playing, the lousy ingrates! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tika, Feb 18 2:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Attacked a Cat - Was He Really Trying to Kill It!?

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:00pm PST 
Tika's fantastic with my cat. When she was younger, she tried so hard to get the cat to play with her. Now she is completely uninterested.

However...if she sees a cat while we're out walking, she goes into full predator mode, and I have NO doubt she'd attack it if she could (despite the fact that they'd probably be close to the same size, heh).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Farley, Dec 6 1:30 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:30pm PST 
It must be a regional thing, because there are lots of Havanese up here. They seem pretty friendly and sweet, as well as very spunky and athletic. The one we had at work today spent a few hours rough-housing with a Berger Picard that was at least six times his size! Definitely not your typical delicate fluffy little lap dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Nov 12 9:32 am

Behavior & Training > Milton's first dog fight
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:13pm PST 
While there is technically a "right" way to break up a dog fight, unfortunately, when all heck breaks loose you do whatever you have to do. Ideally you'd want to have two people, one to get a hold of each dog, but that's not always possible. I broke up the pit/Mastiff fight by grabbing the pit and hauling him off after he let go briefly and then dragging him into a kennel--not an easy thing to do, since he was still raring to go and we were in the middle of a yard full of other riled-up dogs. One of which was a young male Rottweiler who tried to be a tough guy by jumping the pit while I was hauling him away. At that point I was like "oh HELL no", and I somehow managed to shove him away with my foot before he could start anything.

The Mastiff ended up with a hole through one ear, but the pit was a mess--his whole lower jaw was lacerated wide open, and the skin was just hanging off. Ugh. Not one of my fondest memories. And he was the aggressor, too. I was lucky I myself didn't get bitten, although I certainly have breaking up other fights.

There was another incident where a different pit mix grabbed a Beagle by the throat and started shaking her. She would NOT let go, and I ended up having to hit her over the head twice as hard as I could with a solid plastic rod. The Beagle's neck was completely shredded, and the vet was amazed--apparently she had nicks on both her jugular vein and her spinal vertebrae. She made a full recovery, though!

Hmmm, I feel like this thread has turned into a collection of war stories...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Niki, Oct 6 9:21 pm

(Page 1 of 50: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.