Postings by Layla CGN

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Raw Food Diet > How to switch to Premade Raw?
Layla CGN

oh the life of a- princess!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:48pm PST 
I totally understand. I switched Layla and Jagger from homemade prey model raw to a dehydrated food recently; just couldn't handle the amount of work and the cost. I wonder if you could find something like Totally Raw Natural Dog Food? They are based in Nova Scotia Canada. I'm in New Brunswick Canada and from my research, I like their stuff the best. It's based on prey model; they offer a meal plan and sells whole foods like lamb bones and pork bones. If I could afford it for all of my dogs, that's what I would do, but it's just too expensive for us right now. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by (Quin) Herdabout The Mighty Qu, Sep 13 8:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Yellow Dog
Layla CGN

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:10pm PST 
yay today's Dogster tip is about Yellow Ribbon Campaign! applause
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Sep 12 3:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > How to switch to Premade Raw?

Layla CGN

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 8:33am PST 
Hi Chloe!
Do I understand this right: you are currently on prey model raw and want to switch to a mix of premade raw and kibble? This is what I would do (doesn't mean it's the best solution though, BOL): Switch cold turkey to premade raw for a few weeks, then introduce kibble.
I've done a mix of raw and kibble before and I would feed kibble 2 days, then raw 1 day. It was all right, but I noticed more poop issues than with 100% raw. I am currently going back to a mix of "kibble" and raw for Layla and Jagger. The "kibble" I am getting is actually a dehydrated food called CaniSource. I'll be doing CaniSource with raw meaty bones twice a week.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by (Quin) Herdabout The Mighty Qu, Sep 13 8:13 pm

Layla CGN

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 9:43am PST 
I'm spreading the word through our vet, local SPCA, local pet food stores, kennels, dog parks, pet groups, etc. I'd like to find some donations and get pamphlets and posters printed and leave them at the vets and pet food stores. It would be an even better way to spread the word rather than rely solely on the internet.
Even if only 25% of people know what it means, that's 25% less who will try to approach my dog without asking.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Layla CGN, Sep 12 3:10 pm

Layla CGN

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 6:30am PST 
Hi everyone! This has been circulating on Facebook recently; some of you might have seen it already. I think it's a great way to let others know that some dogs need more space. I'm trying to spread the word as much as I can. I have a "yellow dog" and I'll be using this from now on. smile

Here is the description:
Yellowdog - Some dogs need space

If you see a dog with a YELLOW ribbon, bandana or similar on the leash or on the dog, this is a dog which needs some space. Please, do not approach this dog or its people with your dog. They are indicating that their dog cannot be close to other dogs. How close is too close? Only the dog or his people know, so maintain distance or give them time to move out of your way.

There are many reasons why a dog may need space:

• Maybe it has health issues or is in training.
• It may be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
• It may have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say “Hi!”

In short, a yellow marker on a dog means it needs a little space.

Thank you! Those of us who own these dogs appreciate your help and respect.

The facebook group is here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yellowdog-Some-dogs-need-space /401739849882648

and the website is here:
http://yellowdog.se
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Sep 12 3:10 pm

Behavior & Training > "You shouldn't take your skittish dog into public places..." *VENT*
Layla CGN

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 9:02am PST 
Wow... I hate people sometimes, that's why I have dogs! BOL
I can sympathize with everyone here; and it's nice to know that we aren't alone. If I'm walking the dogs, everyone wants to pet the cute little one Jagger. He's the nervous one, and if strangers try to pet him (by stupidly bending over him and trying to pet the top of his head), he's scitter to the end of his leash and try to get away. As long as I'm paying attention, I'll intercept the stranger and calmly explain that Jagger is fearful of strangers, but you can pet Zeppelin, he LOVES people. That usually keep the idiots happy.

Usually though, I don't let anyone pet my dogs unless we are in working/socializing mode and I am only walking one of them at once. And I always put them in a sit stay; I require them to be polite and calm before petting. Kids especially appreciate that.

Same goes for meeting other dogs. Layla has leash reactivity (or barrier frustration, whatever). She's come a long way, but it drives me up the wall when we walk in the park and others have their dogs off leash. "My dog is friendly" yeah well mine isn't, as you can see by her crazy lunging barking, so tie up your dog! It's my greatest pet peeve, and I don't keep my mouth shut about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Aug 28 9:02 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Scruffy's Wisdom Panel results!!

Layla CGN

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 6:14am PST 
We got the Wisom Panel DNA test as a Christmas present last year and tested Layla's DNA. I was really happy with the results and can definitely see some of the breeds in her.
Her results were:
Grandparents:
Golden Retriever-Dachshund + Mixed Breed
Miniature Bull Terrier-Mixed Breed + Labrador Retriever-Mixed Breed

The mixed breeds were traces of: Welsh Terrier, Belgian Sheepdog, Samoyed, Lowchen, American Water Spaniel.

I can definitely see the Golden and the Dashchund in her looks, and her personality as well. I have no idea where the lowchen comes in! BOL If I could get a discount, I would try for Zeppelin or Jagger's DNA too!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Aug 22 7:26 pm

Raw Food Diet > Wooowee peeeeyou!

Layla CGN

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:07am PST 
Thanks Onyx. Their breath does clear up if they don't have chicken for a few days so we should be ok. Just a bit worried that's all!
It's nice though, other than the smelly chicken, their breath doesn't stink at all way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Aug 7 7:07 am

Layla CGN

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 3:21pm PST 
trigger: yes everything was kept refrigerated. I threw away what I had left on the fifth day (I think) because the smell was unbearable to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Aug 7 7:07 am

Layla CGN

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 6:43am PST 
Does anyone else have stinky breath around here? Wow, Layla and Zeppelin have had horrid breath over the last few weeks. I think I know the cause, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Their breath really smells like bad meat, specifically chicken.

About a month ago, my aunt and my parents both killed their farm chickens (meatkings). Of course, I got to keep the carcasse and waste (yay! cheer ). Essentially, I cut up what I needed to (backs, neck, skin, feet), froze it on trays and then bagged it. Since there were almost 50 chickens, it took me several days to freeze everything (only so much room in the freezer). I ended up throwing away some of the carcasses because they smelled REALLY horrid by the end. I'm wondering if the stuff I froze the day before is what's giving them bad breath? They are eating it. But should I be worried?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Aug 7 7:07 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.