Postings by Ava

GO!

(Page 1 of 115: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Petstore steals my cousin!!!
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 9:28pm PST 
Uh.. wow. frown That poor puppy. You can pretty much SEE how poorly-bred she is just by looking. Her head just doesn't look normal, not to mention the way the hair is growing in a cowlick/ridge up her entire muzzle.

I can't stand how people can so easily get pets and then give them up again like toys; and the worst thing about that is that usually there's just no getting through to people like that. frown I don't know what to say other than.. I hope for the best for that puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Jul 23 12:24 pm

Food & Nutrition > Grain-free better for dog's teeth?
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 1:26pm PST 
I don't know... Both my pups are on grain-free kibble. Ava is 3 and still has nice white teeth except for a few little spots of plaque on her canines, but on the other hand Nix is barely over 1 and he has quite a bit of plaque build up already on two of his largest molars, and his breath REEKS! Granted it's not the worst dog breath I've ever smelled, but it's still pretty awful when he's panting right in your face in the morning. wink

He gets enzymatic doggy toothpaste squirted in to his mouth every day, and it's helping a little bit with the plaque but not doing much favors for his breath. If I didn't take care of his teeth myself, his mouth would probably be in much worse condition. silenced

Nix doesn't chew his food as much as he should though, so that may have something to do with it too. Ava chews nicely.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Farley, Jul 21 6:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Is it cruel to walk dogs on hot sidewalk or pavement?

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 9:11pm PST 
I don't like the "if it's too hot for the palm of your hand then it's too hot for your dog's paw pads" rule. Our hands are very delicate. Thin-skinned with lots and lots of nerve endings. Our hands are sensitive to everything because touching is such a major part of the way we as human beings communicate and take in information--which is quite a bit different from dogs' paw pads, of which the primary function is to walk on.

A more accurate test would be see how it feels on your bare feet because the skin there is tougher than on our hands... but even then, it's not entirely accurate on how a dog would feel it, considering our feet are rarely used in comparison. Constant use of shoes makes our feet tender and a lot more sensitive than if we only ever walked barefoot anywhere we went.

Paw pads have thicker skin than human feet do. They also regulate heat and cold differently. That's Not to say they don't feel pain when standing on a hot tarmac for too long, but they Can tolerate it for longer than we can. ...That is, assuming they're used to it.

When I walk Ava and Nix through the community (as opposed to on the trails) they get the chance to walk in grass or not, and most of the time they opt to stay on the sidewalk. I know my dogs, and if they were in pain from walking on the pavement then they would choose to walk over more comfortable terrain, but they honestly don't mind it.

Like many things, walking on pavement is just something you have to use your common sense about. Obviously, puppies or senior dogs, or dogs who rarely get walked, will have more sensitive pads than those who are walked regularly on pavement; and obviously you shouldn't leave your dog for hours out on the hot asphalt, but a 30-or-so minute walk or jog? Not going to hurt a dog who's adapted to it. smile

So, no, I don't think it's cruel to walk your dogs on a hot sidewalk assuming they can handle it, and I would be pretty angry and upset if anyone had the nerve to call me cruel for exercising my active and needy dogs. wink (Er.. I mean DOG. Just Nix. haha! Ava would actually prefer to stay inside on a hot day, regardless of where we're walking.)
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Farley, Jul 16 9:48 am

Behavior & Training > Dumb neighbors and when they don't listen to you! (rant)

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 8:33pm PST 
Don't you just love how strangers magically know your dog better than you do? shrug

That would be very irritating to me. Ava isn't aggressive, and Nix is pretty aloof, but I don't like either of my dogs saying hi to strangers, especially when they haven't asked first, and ESPECIALLY if they're acting like that. That is just rude!

Someday that baby is going to get bit, and the parents will only have themselves to blame. (but I know the dog is the one who will get blamed for it anyways) silenced
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Jul 11 12:07 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Asher is gone

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 3:45pm PST 
You and Asher were such an inspiration to everyone. I'm so sorry for your loss. hug hug hug
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Sep 29 7:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Muzzling Dog Aggressive Dogs in Public?
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 3:03pm PST 
"It would be highly irresponsible to pass on the muzzle for the sake of looks."

Quote for truth! way to go

I've seen people bring muzzled dogs in to off-leash dog parks before, and when they let them loose as soon as they get in to the pen, and their muzzled dog is tearing after other dogs and bowling them over... I just have to think "what's the point!?" Their dog obviously does not get along well with others, yet they think a muzzle will make it all better because... I dunno? An attack isn't an attack if the dog can't bite? I really don't know WHAT they're thinking. thinking

As for foregoing the muzzle because you're worried it will make your dog look bad? He will look even worse if he gets in to an all-out brawl and does serious damage to another dog. Like Nicky said, NOT muzzling a seriously DA dog for the sake of looks would be really irresponsible.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Jul 9 2:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How soon would you get another dog?

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:59pm PST 
Ava was just over 2 when I started looking for another puppy.

She's kind of a lazy girl though. We joke that she's practically an old lady at the age of 3.. It's hard to imagine that when she was a puppy she was ever what one would call playful, considering these days she seems to think she's too mature to be caught playing with toys (occasionally she'll let loose and joyously bound after a stick, but she gets bored with it fast and don't you even think for a second that she'll bring it back! She has too much dignity for that! laugh out loud

Anyway, I always wanted a dog who was more Naturally toy motivated than Ava, so by the time she was 2 I was ready for another puppy.

Now that I have Nix...? Well, I still find myself wanting more Border Collies, but I don't think I'll seriously be ready for another one until he's at least 5, or maybe even older. He needs a lot more time to mature. wink But to be honest, I will most likely be waiting years and years until one (or both) of them are gone from old age before getting the next. I feel like if I brought in a third dog it would be harder for me to make sure everyone's getting their fair share of attention.

So... IMO, definitely no less than 2 years between puppies even with lazy temperaments, but for some, depending on the dog, it could be much longer.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 15 5:15 am

Dog Health > Alternatives to Frontline/Advantix, etc? (Tick/Flea control)

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 2:19pm PST 
A lot of people have had success with using essential oils like Rose Geranium--apparently that's different from just "geranium" which I know from personal experience does NOT work as well... I haven't been able to find any "rose geranium" to see how well that one works, but I hear from other people that it keeps their dogs free of ticks if sprayed on once a day or so, depending how often your dogs are exposed to tick infested areas. If you're like me and can't set foot outside for even 5 minutes without picking up several ticks, then it might not work as well. Our ticks are RAVENOUS!

A month ago I heard from one of my Border Collie groups about a supplement that they sell in the UK called Billy No Mates, which is just a blend of dried mint, seaweed, fenugreek, neem leaves and lemon balm. I imagine if you can find all the ingredients it would be easy to make it yourself (and cheaper than importing if you don't live in the UK) but anyways, I was desperate since Nix doesn't do well with Frontline or Advantix, etc., so I ordered an approx. 2 lb bucket of the stuff. It came up to around $100 to import it, but it will last my pups the rest of the summer and then some! smile

It's taken a few weeks of feeding them each 1 scoop per day of it, and I was skeptical at first, but we noticed that after a while the dogs' skin and coats are starting to smell like the blend, and it's been a while since we've seen any ticks on them. That, to me, is incredible, because like I said before ticks around here are INSANE. It really does seem to be working, and so far in our experience it's the ONLY natural product we've found that has actually worked as of yet.

The ingredients are basic, so when we run out of it, several months from now (because seriously, the amount you give to just a 50 lb dog is so miniscule, a large bucket will last forever, even with multiple dogs) I might look in to collecting the ingredients myself as a cheaper alternative, but for how well it works, I'd say it was worth almost paying $100 to import it. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bentley, Jul 10 9:33 am

Grooming > Shaving to keep them cool?

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:26pm PST 
Any groomer who suggests to shave a double coated dog should go back to school, if you ask me. What shaving does is expose a dogs skin to the sun's harmful rays, and actually make them hotter because now they don't have their coat to insulate against the heat, and the sun is now hitting their skin directly. Not only that, it will ruin their coat quality, and screw with the natural shedding cycle.

You can't always talk pet owners out of something once they've made up their mind, especially if they've been shaving the dog every summer for years already, but at our salon we try to warn people about what they're actually doing to their dog when they shave it down.
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 5:34 am

Dog Health > I can't believe how many fat dogs there are...
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:10pm PST 
Risa- The funny thing is, to me she doesn't look skinny at all. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean if I saw her I'd think "yay! A dog who is actually a healthy weight!" smile
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Jul 11 5:12 pm

(Page 1 of 115: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.