Postings by Hippo

GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Food & Nutrition > 4 Health has a new grain free dog food.
Hippo

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 1:49pm PST 
If it's weight gain you are worried about, pea protein has a lower level of carbohydrate content than sweet potatoes and is more easily digestable. Gram for gram, pea protein has a similar amount of branch-chain amino acids and iron content as beef protein. It's easy to digest, there is no cellulose within specific pea protein (not to be confused with dried peas). Great if your dog has allergies to many foods. Pea is also considerably less costly than beef, so on a micro and macro nutrient basis if you're on a budget, go with peas.

I'm a huge fan of pea protein over potatoes and gladly supplement the kibble with meat.

What is the rage with high protein content in dog foods? If you eat raw prey in the wild, it's not 48% protein by volume. The "trend" is higher protein, really dogs need a protein that's not quite so high and a higher fat content according to the structure of their digestive system.

Peas don't have much in the way of fat, so I like how this food uses natural fat sources instead of those derived from canola.

Some people might be skeptical, but it shouldn't be overlooked either. Especially when you're on a strict budget.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 8:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > 4 Health has a new grain free dog food.
Hippo

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:47am PST 
I wish peas didn't get as bad of a rap on here as they deserve. Pea protein by itself is wonderful. It's as easily digestible as whey, contains more significant iron content and branch chain amino acids than whey does. I myself have been taking pea protein as a protein/iron supplement for a year now and I love it.

I have a dog that has a poultry allergy. It's a big hard to feed raw or grain-free without poultry. Here's why I like the food (this is for Beef and Potato):

Less potato and more pea by weight. It's easier for a dog to digest than potato, contains more amino acids and less carbs than potato.

No chicken.

Doesn't use canola oil as a fat source.

Adequate amount of fat. I wish dogs food would be higher in fat and not so high in protein. The only way to get this is to feed raw though.

Same macros as Annamaet Manitok Bison and Venison with similar ingredients. I was feeding this before, but at $78 for a 30 lb bag was breaking the bank. I moved last month to a very rural area as well, so that would limit my purchases to online. I liked this food because it used more peas instead of potato and Hippo does best on Bison/Beef. I also love the research the owner/founder of Annamaet has done. Very similar to Tom Roudybush (he makes bird food).

Downside:

Peas have less calories than potato. It has a decent protein content but fewer calories.

Still has potatoes in it.

Could use more meat. I pick up deer scraps from the butcher and live only a couple of miles from a bison farm now.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 8:29 pm

Raw Food Diet > Post Bloat Surgery Food [Update]

Hippo

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:22pm PST 
Hello Everyone! It's been almost a year since I've been on the forums. Hippo had bloat surgery almost a year ago. The first month was a strict schedule of feedings and medications. I had an entire wipe board dedicated to his schedule. Some medications had to be given with food, some before, some after. Every 2 hours was some sort of medication. Today he gets Prilosec OTC about 2-3 times a week (still has acid reflux issues), that's pretty much it. Well, aside from other preexisting medications.

Hippo wound up suffering some damage with is ability to absorb nutrients from food and starting looking pretty thin/ muscle atrophy. I tried feeding him more food, but he was eating double of what he was pre-bloat, and I'm a bit paranoid about him eating too much. I began playing with foods to see what would work. I tried duck then venison, which showed some results. The best for Hippo turns out to be Bison meat. I've been feeding bison for 3 months now, and he has gained back weight and is starting to gain muscle mass back. Oh, he also gets some yogurt on his food too.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chance, Dec 2 2:01 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Post GDV, in need of cooked diet formulas and recipes

Hippo

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 1:23pm PST 
Hi everyone, happy holidays! I've been feeding my dogs a ground raw diet (grind up bones, organs and muscle meat together), or taste of the wild kibble if I'm in bind for time for three years now. My oldest and most beloved dog, Hippo got GDV or gastric torsion Sunday night. His stomach torsed and then filled up with gas (instead of bloating then torsing). Luckily I caught it right when it happened and we were able to get him to a vet who could do the surgery and gastropexy in time to save his life (running total right now is $6000). I think feeding him a raw diet high in Omega-3 fatty acids helped save him too as his heart suffered no trauma pre and post-op. I did everything in my power and during his lifetime to prevent GDV with a raw diet, making him wait to be active after eating, even keeping his stress down, but alas no one really knows the cause (if there is one cause or many causes) yet besides genetics which may be involved. His stomach torsed at 1:10 am, seven hours after he ate. He wasn't even active that day either.

Thinking of writing up a post/informative guide of some warning signs (you read about it, but many people still don't know it's happening when it does) and steps to take to find a vet who can do the surgery and what to expect pre-surgery (they had to Trocar, or insert a needle into Hippo's stomach to relieve some of the pressure from the gas) and post-surgery.

At any rate because of the trauma from the torsion, surgery and the fact that he had some post-op complications with gastric motility and acid build up I must feed him a cooked diet for the next few weeks or possibly for a few months (he's nearly 10 years old). The first few days was boiled chicken, he only licks at cottage cheese and refuses to touch yogurt (thought I wish he wold eat it as it would help him digest his food).

Any nice blander balanced recipes out there since he's getting sick of chicken. I'm very familiar with raw recipes and how to balance that diet, but organs are a bit too rich for him yet (unless there are some organs out there that I am un-aware of). Going to start eggs and maybe a little hamburger this afternoon as he's tired of boiled chicken. He's pretty picky eater still. He would normally dance if he could for yogurt, but now he doesn't even want to give it a lick. I have to feed him 4 meals a day right now.

Again, looking for formulas that would balance the diet or recipes that are balanced. Bland or easy to digest is good. Posting here because of the communal and peer-reviews knowledge you guys all have!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Dec 23 2:34 pm

Raw Food Diet > Foie Gras

Hippo

Barked: Sun Oct 3, '10 6:20pm PST 
yes, you can feed plain ol' duck liver as an organ!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 3 8:26 pm

Raw Food Diet > Foie Gras
Hippo

Barked: Sun Oct 3, '10 12:28pm PST 
There are ducks not kept in small cages (they get to roam some), but they are still force fed corn by a tube. The only way to get Foie Gras is to disease the liver.

To stay on topic, you could probably feed very small amounts to a dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 3 8:26 pm

Raw Food Diet > And the winner is ...............

Hippo

Barked: Sat Oct 2, '10 2:19pm PST 
Congrats Mississippi and Hounds you guys are amazingly awesome!!!!!!!

CONGRATS ON WINNING, you guys certainly deserve it. cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lily and Moira, Oct 2 8:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > Greyhounds

Hippo

Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 1:14am PST 
I once had a grey that I fed raw (he died of bone cancer over 5 years ago). When he was younger and much more active I would feed him about 3.5-4% of his body weight. When he was older and more sedate, 2.5% was adequate. Yes, they do need a little more food then some other breeds the same size.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 29 9:54 am

Raw Food Diet > Seriously? Raw = more energy??

Hippo

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 8:13pm PST 
Hippo gained much more energy on raw. He plays just as much as he does at the age of 8.5 compared to when he was 3. He's been on raw for almost 2 years now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crash Dynamite, Sep 22 9:58 am

Raw Food Diet > A question for the raw feeders with older dogs
Hippo

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 10:27pm PST 
Hippo is 8.5 years old. Ok, it's not an OLD dog, but considering he's 110 lbs and was born with pretty severe hip displaysia (and had distemper when I rescued him as a puppy) he ages much faster. He too is also missing a carnassal molar (had it removed because he broke the tooth). I feed him ground raw (ground bones, meat and organs). He just just fine on it. He doesn't care to chomp on bones. The only meat bones he likes are chicken/turkey necks and wings (which help keep his teeth pearly white).

Honestly, raw is awesome. When he started on over a year ago his energy levels went up, and his hips didn't hurt him as much either. Cartilage from chicken knees and feet and feet are a great natural source of glucosamine and chondrotin. At the age of 8, he acted like he did when he was 4. Before raw, he was on a high quality kibble, but even then. he picked at it. With raw, he always eats everything, and he's doing great at maintaining a healthy weight. It's way easier for a dog to be at a healthy weight on raw than it is on kibble. You don't have to worry as much.

Best of all, their poop is much smaller and it doesn't stink nearly as much.

The grinder I use is the Tasin 108. You can buy it at onestopjerkeyshop.com for under $200 shipped. It grinds chicken, rabbit, turkey (you'll have to chop the bigger bones up) and fish bones/meat.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Josie, Sep 19 1:05 pm

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.