GO!

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > Keeping a dog calm at trials
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

You can't say- that i can't- play!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 9:09pm PST 
In addition to the things mentioned previously (DAP, Thundershirt, covering the crate, etc). You may find it valuable to work on teaching a "settle on a mat" behavior--this is MORE than just go to a mat and lay down.

This is about building true relaxation. You start with getting a down on the mat but then you reward for signs of relaxation -- the dog flipping on its hip, the dog sighing/yawning, the dog slowly blinking, the dog putting its head down, the dog rolling on its side, or the dog resting.

If you can get relaxation on that mat at home, you can then try to bring that relaxation mat to slightly more exciting environments and eventually to the trial environment. This work won't help the stress when you leave but it will help the overal arousal/stress level during the event. After a lot of work on relaxation, Rio can relax out of his crate even when dogs tugging near him or running in the ring... this photo was snapped during our last trial. We were about 15ft from the ring, right by the entrance/exit gate so tons of dogs warming up or running out of the ring for cookies!

Rio at a trial
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 10:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:27am PST 
Rio was definitely adopted specifically with sports in mind and was a relatively long search to find exactly the dog I wanted (and making sure I was in a place in my life financially to afford two dogs). I lucked out because I put an application in on a GORGEOUS red merle BC/Aussie puppy but they denied my application because I lived in an apartment and two months later I found Rio.

I think you can get sport/performance prospects from EITHER a shelter or a foster (or of course an ethical breeder) but you have to know what you are looking for (or hire an experience trainer or ask a sport person to help you pick a puppy) so you can do your darnedest to find a dog with potential (an ethical/experienced breeder should be able to do a big piece of this themselves). The benefit to a QUALITY foster home is they can help give you a clue if the dog shows any athleticism, drive, energy, trainability etc. What you see in a shelter environment is not always who the dog REALLY is but talking to a foster who has seen them in a home environment for a while can be insightful.

When 'evaluating' rio at his foster home, I checked out his structure (which was a bit of a crack-shoot when looking at a funny shaped 4.5 month old puppy--they are all sorts of wonky), I manipulated his body seeing if I could feel anything wonky and checking for range of motion (again, at 4.5 months old this was a crack-shoot since they are growing but i didn't feel anything that made a red flag go off), I checked out his willingness to let me handle him and his reaction to handling, I took note of his desire to interact with me and his foster mom--was he looking to engage with her or me, was he checking in if we walked away. I also watched him play with his sibling and a resident dog and got lots of insights--he was athletic and even at his age was quite coordinated, he was about as fearless as they come when playing with his sister zipping and zooming and flipping over her (she was very timid), he was pushy and a bit obnoxious (which i do like), he was pretty drivey (he knew what he wanted and was focused on getting what he wanted and wouldn't stop for nothing until he got it), there was TERRIFYING moment when his jaw got caught in his sister's collar and all hell broke loose... he bounced back after the trauma relatively quickly considering how scary it was (for EVERYONE). I also brought a few toys to see what is interest in toys was like.. he chased rollers, picked up the disc, was INSANE for a mini-flirt pole type toy (big picture of driveyness and pushiness) .... yet watched him settle and relax afterwards.

The important pieces for me was SOME toy drive (it didn't have to be much because I can build toy drive), I wanted a dog who WANTED to interact with a person, I wanted a dog who was pushy and a bit obnoxious (so i could cultivate that pushy/obnoxious behavior into a good directoin), I wanted a confident and very socially savvy dog, and wanted a dog I felt would WANT to work and would put his/her heart into the work (drive).

And part of it was just luck of the draw that everything I saw at the foster home was what i got in my home (except tehy said he was quiet and never barked... yeah right!).
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 2:17pm PST 
I know tons and tons and tons of rescue dogs that have been world champions/national champions in frsibee (up until the last two years there were no level titles... just regional/national/world titles in different venues). Wallace the pitbull was a rescue and multiple national champion, Ron Watson has had a handful rescues who have been national/world champions, Tracy Custer has a few world/national champions that are rescues... the list in frisbee could go on. I would venture a guess that there are more rescue dogs at teh top of the game in frisbee than purpose bred dogs. There ARE PLENTY of well-bred champs out there, but tons of rescues.

Shayne competed in frisbee for years with some competition wins and placements (up until recently there were no titles--and there are only titles i one venue so far). She also has her RL1 with a RAE--in her very first trial she was one point away from a perfect score in one of her runs and 2 points away in another. She'll keep trialing in APDT Rally because SHE likes to work and there are actually trials available as opposed to frisbee where there aren't competitions around. I'd LOVE to try CWAGS if it gets local.

Rio has his RL1 with RAE in APDT Rally and has his CL1 in CPE agility. He'll keep going on in agility since he likes agility way more than Rally at this stage in his life.

I am the least competitive person I know so competing is the most challenging part for me because I don't really like it but based on their performances I think both Shayne and Rio LIKE having an audience LOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 49 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Rio's 2nd agility trial, best run last!

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 7:42am PST 
We were really out of practice for our second agility trial, we'd had 3 agility practices in 5 months before the trial.

We did well considering 7/10 Qs

But Rio's last run of the weekend was RIDICULOUSLY awesome!! I could not have possibly been more proud of the boy!!

It was a Colors course which we've always done well with but after the LONG weekend, I wasn't sure he had it in him but WOW was I blown away!

It was a level 1/2 course of 9 obstacles and Rio crossed the finish line in 10.5 seconds! He was nearly 4 seconds faster than any dog in his height/class and was the fastest dog to run that particular course.

I wish I had video because it was FANTASTIC. I was so proud of him!

He finished his CL1 and has both color Q's in level 2 and has 4 other Q's in level 2. I'm super proud of him, even though we were out of practice he did a great job!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 9:12 pm

Sports & Agility > Rio survived his first agility trial!

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 10:57am PST 
Thanks Risa for filming for me smile it was so very appreciated! the lurcher race was pretty epic, though i feel bad that Risa is feeling it this week.

Thanks everyone... it really was such a fantastic time. I was super proud of Rio, i THINK he was the only other first timer except for a long-haired whippet who ran standard on day 2 (as in first ever trial, most others had at least done a run or two in a previous trial). We aren't in a hurry for another trial but probably this fall some time smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 27 6:25 pm

Sports & Agility > Yay! first agility trial- with video
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 7:59am PST 
Nice job Bruno!! he looks like he had an awesome time which is what it's all about! party
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 12:24 pm

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 7:45am PST 
Thanks! It was a great time! NADAC looks like a fun venue as well, good luck!

Here are our runs from the second day:

Day 2 runs
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 6:25 pm

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 10:40am PST 
He was a very nice judge for the newbies... answered questions and was really helpful! He even stuck around to watch the lure coursing and thought it was really awesome.

We really had such a wonderful time and look forward to finding another CPE trial at some point this fall a little more local this time smile

I was proud of my little guy (though i think he's still recovering LOL!).
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 6:25 pm

Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:39pm PST 
I am exhausted, and even Rio is still exhausted after our BUSY BUSY weekend!!

Rio was signed up for all 4 runs on both Saturday and Sunday at the CPE agility trial. I wasn't sure he'd have enough stamina for the game to keep him going all day but I would have rather scratched day-of than wished we'd signed up for more. He also did lure coursing after the trial both days!

It was such a fantastic experience. People were awesome, judge was fantastic, and I was, luckily, supported by a few awesome friends who made trips out to the event just to watch (and then lure course after the trial).

Rio was AMAZING! He was perfect in his crate, slept on the ground out of the crate for a while, even in a very distracting environment he had impeccable leash manners on the trial site, and was pretty focused considering it was his first time in an agility trial ring (with judges, timers, scribes, and other cool people to say hi to)... or doing a full course outside. We had so much fun together and hanging out with our good buddies! That alone would make it a very very successful first trial.... but there is even more....

He earned 6 Qs out of the 8 runs. Five 1sts and a 2nd place finish.

Day 1:
Fullhouse--30pts--Q--1st place
Standard--NQ
Jumpers--22.66sec--Q--1st
Jackpot--53pts--Q--1 st

Day 2:
Colors--19.9 sec--Q--2nd
Standard--28.13sec-5 faults--Q--1st
Wildcard--NQ
Snooker--46pts--Q 1st (had to take standard time because the timer didn't work)

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Rio's first agility trial day 1
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 6:25 pm

Sports & Agility > First CPE Trial--tips?
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:51am PST 
Awww you guys are awesome! Thanks!!! It's a LONG drive (6.5hrs) and we are staying at a hotel so I've got to pack everything and the kitchen sink.

I'm struggling with his food plan--he is raw fed and i typically don't feed raw when I travel long distances and stay in hotels (between dealing with trying to keep the meat as a safe-cold temperature for days and finding an appropriate place TO feed the dog it's a pain). So I found a canned dog food i'm going to feed him and bring kibble... with raw he gets 1 meal a day (plus a small snack) but with the canned, i think he needs to eat twice a day. I think i'm going to feed him a can of food in the AM before he gets measured (this is a very liquidy food that will also help his hydration). I don't want him running on a full tummy but i know he needs to eat something before running like a beast.

I'm REALLY hoping they have an area where I can run him a bit to take the edge off because after a 7 hr drive and then an evening in the hotel, I suspect he'll be ANTSY like crazy. Though he's so typically cool under pressure that he may totally and completely surprise me.

You guys have such fantastic routines and plans! We'll figure out some routine... probably a trial by fire so to speak smile LOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 6:51 am

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.