Postings by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12)

GO!

(Page 1 of 134: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Just a few questions
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '15 11:17am PST 
What a cutie. I know there's a website you can use to get lots of information. I just can't remember it. Maybe someone else will see this and let you know which one is legitimate, since several are bogus. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Today 11:17 am

Dogs & Travel > Car sickness solutions

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '15 6:39pm PST 
Jax used to get car sick. I started having her sit in the car and just give her treats. Then once she was used to that, I took her for "VERY SHORT" trips in the car, like down the street and back. I gradually made the trips longer. Eventually, I was able to take her to a nearby State Park and took her for a long walk. She had so much fun. Once she figured out the car rides were to go have fun, her car sickness went away. Hope that helps. Good Luck! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Tue 6:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Elimanating on Carpet

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Mar 19, '15 4:29pm PST 
He might still be adjusting to his new home. Do you have a crate? I would go back to basics and treat him like a puppy and re-potty train him. You can put him in the crate and take him out about a 1/2 hour later. If he goes, praise and give him a treat. He just earned 1 hour of freedom. Take him back out. If he doesn't go, he goes back in the crate. If he goes, he just earned another hour of freedom. Repeat. This way is exhausting, but it works. You can gradually increase the freedom time until he gives you a cue to go out. It may be very subtle like staring at you, sitting by the door, sniffing, pacing or a whine. You can also find a cleaner that uses an enzyme to get rid of the urine in your carpet. There's a few good ones out there. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mon 6:56 pm

Dog Health > Dog's Lipoma's

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '15 5:52pm PST 
Jax had them. Our vet advised us to leave them alone unless they started to bother her. I did have a few removed because they were on her side and it bothered her to lay down. I don't think there's anything you can do. Maybe someone else can jump in.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Today 7:46 am

Dog Health > Vet try and take urine sample??

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '15 5:46pm PST 
I agree with Toto. Jax used to get UTI's a lot and it was a piece of cake for the vets to get both a regular sample and a sterile sample. I hope you find a good vet. I switched vets 3x before I found one I like. Good Luck and please keep us posted. Oh, and they do take them in the back, at least my vet does. Most times my dogs behave better with out me, which might be the case for other pets and their owners. red face
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Thu 5:25 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Jazz is gone

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '15 4:27am PST 
I left Jax's & Kali's page up because it's kind of like a memorial. hughughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Jan 29 4:27 am

Puppy Place > Fearful Puppy

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '15 4:24am PST 
Taking him to classes is a good idea. But, you can't comfort him when he's scared. He needs to face his fears, so to speak. If you comfort him while he's scared, he will think thats the way he's supposed to behave. You need to act matter of fact when he behaves like that. You can take treats with you on your walks (treats he would die for, and only use those for the walks). You can have him meet people and they can give him the treats. If he's unapproachable, then you can take a very friendly dog with you on the walks. Have the people pay lots of attention to that dog and feed that dog treats. It might take a while, but your dog's stomach while get the best of him and hopefully he will figure out people aren't so scary. That worked for Jax when she was in training. Hope that helps and good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Heidi, Jan 19 5:13 am

Behavior & Training > Training an Extremely Timid Dog

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Jan 6, '15 4:29pm PST 
Just so you know, don't give up. Jax got better and better with age. I think the key with her was to "NEVER" break the trust she had in me. I could get her to do anything in the end because she trusted me completely. It did take years. Most people don't have the patience. I will say, since you're already seeing a difference, that you have what it takes. One of the things I did after she trusted me was.....I took her to a trail where the people from the local SPCA walked the rescue dogs. They were "dog people" and understood a dog like her. It was very important that the people followed my directions exactly. So, I was very choosy with who I asked to help. I had treats that she would die for and had them feed them to her on her terms. It didn't happen right away, but it did. I took another dog with me that was friendly. They would pet him and give him treats and all the attention. At first Jax didn't care, but in the end, her stomach got the best of her and she began to take treats from people. I told them no eye contact and do not touch her and it worked. She never became the dog who runs up and meets people, but she did acquire a very specific ritual to meet people. If the person abided by it to the letter, they couldn't get rid of her. If they deviated in any way, then she didn't want anything to do with them, and would try and bite them. Each dog is different so, who knows, maybe your dog will make leaps and bounds if you continue what your doing. There are many other books out there to help. Most of the ones I read had nothing to do with training. Most were about how a dog thinks and how they are wired. That helped me with her more than any of the training books. Stanley Coren's books are easy reads and give the basics. Another book I read was "Dogs" by Ray Coppinger. It's much more scientific, but I learned a lot from that book. For me, I've found that the dogs that require the most work, become the best dogs. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Jan 6 4:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Training an Extremely Timid Dog

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '15 4:11am PST 
Jax was very scared when I got her. I did lots of reading and it took lots of patience and "years" of training. You might start with the book "The Cautious Canine". It's a very thin book, but packed with lots of helpful hints. It helped me immensely. It sounds like you're already doing the right things. Just keep it up and it will click with him at some point. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Jan 6 4:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > Pedigree and all three dogs had runs this weekend

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '14 12:45pm PST 
No need to get defensive. We are just trying to help by answering your question. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Dec 9 12:45 pm

(Page 1 of 134: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.