Postings by Samson

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Choosing the Right Dog > American Eskimo mix info
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:20am PST 
Thank you Arya. The humane society where she is at has cats running around all over and they said she shies away from them. They have also never heard her bark and she seems very mellow. She has been there a month and was transferred from another shelter. They really don't have any history on her.

I have seen shy dogs, but never this timid. They said she was adopted out last week by an older couple but they brought her back because of her timidness. I have to wonder what happened to her in her past to make her this way. Once she starts to warm up she is a sweetie and I think it will take time and patience to bring her out of her shell.

I am taking my husband to meet her today and see what he thinks. I told him it is just more than petting she needs, we both need to work to build her trust. I took in a dog that was abused once and help rehabilitate him so he could find a new home, but I am not trained and it has been so long ago.

What you describe and everything I have read on these types of dogs sounds wonderful and I hope one day she will act like that, I am just not sure what it is going to take to get there.

Thanks for your help and we will see how it goes today smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jul 13 5:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > American Eskimo mix info
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:28am PST 
I recently looked at an American Eskimo mix dog at the local humane society. She is just over a year old, very shy but very sweet. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of dogs? She would be standard size from the breed info I read. I have 2 cats in the house also and plenty of room in a fenced yard.
I am finally looking into another dog since Samson passed away and appreciate any info.
Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jul 13 5:20 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Help with neighbors little dog

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 6:02am PST 
Thanks for the response. We still haven't seen him but I keep hope up that he will run into the yard any day. I guess I don't understand why the wife has been treating us so rudely, we are not going to their house and taking him, he is coming to us. She should be thankful we are keeping him off the road.

I don't believe he is physically abused, only neglected. They always say the dog picks you and I feel he really did pick us, I have only ever felt that kind of connection with Samson. He would fit right into our little home and I wouldn't leave him chained up or kenneled, he would be going with us to explore. I am just going to have to be patient on this one.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Sep 29 8:14 am

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:23am PST 
We have decided that next time the little dog shows up we are taking him to the Stray Center. I researched Michigan dog laws and seriously doubt they have him registered and he usually doesn't have a collar on. If he is not registered and is not tagged, they only need to hold him for 4-7 days before he can be adopted out. Our hope is they won't call the stray center and after a week he can be adopted out, maybe by us.

We have not seen him since the last incident, so I am guessing they are keeping him kenneled now. Such a shame for a dog with so much energy to burn, all that is going to do is cause behavior problems. All we can do is hope for the best.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Sep 29 8:14 am

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:29am PST 
I am looking for advice for help with a neighbors little dog. We live in kind of a rural area and it is not uncommon for dogs to get loose and run. We have a fenced in yard and was dog sitting for a friend for a few weeks (our Samson passed away last November and we still have the dog door and our whole back yard is fenced).

Recently, last few weeks, our neighbors cute little chihuahua mix has been coming for a visit. I haven't wanted another dog since Samson passed, but the first time this little guy came into our yard I fell in love. One day he got loose and was at our house for 12 hours before we walked him back to their house. We have offered to take the dog, and even buy him if they wanted to pass him on. They had received him as part of a daughters divorce or something. They said no as he barks and keeps the other dogs away, we couldn't believe they would be using him for that.

He does not seem abused, but every time they let him off his leash he immediately comes to our house. I have started to leave the gate partially open so he can get in, which he did this morning. The wife came down and was calling for him so my husband took him out to her. She dragged him by the collar to the car and he mentioned that she was choking him. She snapped at him that it was her dog and left in a huff.

The dog obviously likes us and comes to us with no coaxing, and is always hesitant to go back to them. I am not sure what to do, I could take him to the stray center, but feel awful about him having to spend any time away from home. We are done dog sitting, but he still wants to be here. He will run in the open gate, through the open sliding door, and right into our arms and whimper like he missed us. It breaks my heart to watch her take him back. I also think the more hesitant he is going back the angrier she gets.

The husband is really nice and I don't want any bad feelings with neighbors, but I really don't think that dog wants to be there. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome on what we should do.
Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Sep 29 8:14 am

Food & Nutrition > Wellness and Proctor & Gamble
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 8:03pm PST 
I have not heard anything or dug up any other news so maybe he was thinking of the merge with Eagle Pack or P&G buying Natura products. If I hear anything else I will let you all know asap.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 10:19 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Do You Feed Home Cooked?

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 8:01pm PST 
We have been doing homemade with kibble and it is working well. I use a couple pounds of lean meat, couple chunks of salmon, can of sardines, carrots, and a sweet potato. I cook it like a roast and then put it through the food processor with the juices and it comes out like canned food. Samson gets about a cup of that with a cup of kibble twice a day. A 15 lb bag of Taste of the Wild lasts about a month and the homemade costs around $10 a month. I usually purchase meat that is reduced and either cook that day or freeze it.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jersey, Aug 16 5:02 pm

Food & Nutrition > Wellness and Proctor & Gamble

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 7:14am PST 
Just heard from a friend who said Wellness has been bought out by Proctor & Gamble. He said it was a notice to an independent pet store so it hasn't been announced yet. I am not saying this is true (I hope its not) but beware just in case.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 10:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > Taste of the wild?

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sun Jun 20, '10 6:32am PST 
Great to hear such good stories on TOTW, Samson is currently on Prairie and loves it. I love Orijen but in this economy we have had to cut back and TOTW fit the bill. We were already planning on trying the Wetlands next for variety and now feel better about it after reading all your great comments.smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jun 21 9:28 am

Dog Health > Does my dog have a sprain?
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sun Apr 11, '10 9:16am PST 
I just wanted to say that Samson is doing well and I think he will heal fine. We have been doing Glucosamine supplements for a couple years now with success, previous x-rays showed his hips are in good shape.

Thanks again for all the advice, it made me feel better about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Abby, Apr 19 7:49 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.