GO!

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > wetting the bed?
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:54pm PST 
We went through this with Kai about 6 weeks ago, exactly that she seemed to not even be aware she wet our bed. We took her to the vet, they checked her urine and found lots of crystals in her urine though not much indication of a uti. She was treated with antibiotics and put on the Royal Canin SO urinary food and had one more accident during the first couple weeks of her treatment. I am not happy with the food simply because we have always been careful to feed good food and this food is mostly grain fillers but the 2nd urinary sample showed no crystals and no indication of uti at all and no further accidents. My first thought was spay incontinence but it turned out not to be the case. I would talk to your vet and have a urine sample tested just to rule out the crystals and stones problem. It is usually caused from a ph imbalance that is directly connected to the food.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 6 7:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Needing to bring the "heeling" to heel...(at least of me)
kai

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 9:17am PST 
I have found that the trick with herders is to set the expectations consistently with marker training will almost always overide the bad behavior because they love rules and they love to please. Never never inadvertantly reward bad behavior so if you were heading to the door and the nipping starts, the trip to the door stops and reverses. When your pup is just walking calmly beside mark that behavior with the chosen praise word "good girl" for us. Believe me, my oldest is a phenomenal herder still even with being taught the impulse control of not herding people. Honestly that is the most valuable training i do with my dogs, impulse control.working on sit/stay, wait, leave it, impeccable recall. All of those things only make a better herder because they need that self control to keep from hurting or killing their flock or herd. we are upping the impulse control training at my house becauswe you can imagine how much chaos 3 young herding mixes can produce even on a calm day. Our youngests lack of impulse control is causing issues with the other dogs and since we have all females we have to have a good understanding of protocol but it helps that these dogs love to know the expectations so they can efficiently carry out the job of making you happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:41 am

Behavior & Training > woo hoo

kai

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 8:38am PST 
So,Kai has been having some resouce guarding issues lately and some nervous aggression. So i ask my Biology Prof, that has a Phd in animal behaviors, specializing in canine predators if she can recommend a dog behaviorist for me. She says "yes me". She is working on getting some certification that requires her curent Phd. She did an initial questionaire with preliminary evaluation that seems spot on and is going to do a home visit soon to make a plan for all the dogs. I am so excited considering the rarity of real behaviorists.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 15 8:18 am

Puppy Place > HELP!

kai

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 5:47am PST 
For both of our pups we got young we left treats in the crate at random times as surprises for them to find. We watched and as they started looking like it was nap time we placed them in the crate. Always a treat for 'going to bed' . And placed the crate by our bed at night for easy assurance trhough the bars. A kong with frozen yogurt and food inside gives a nice reason to be in the crate. With all of that all 3 of my dogs are very easily crated and one definately sees it as her safe haven from the world (she has her crate covered since she seems to need that). Hang in there. Oh also building trust with short intervals (SECONDS to start with) of being in the crate and only removing them if they are quiet is helpful too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 18 5:06 am

Puppy Place > I hiccup a lot, what's up with that?

kai

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 5:26am PST 
Yep, both kai and paislee hiccuped their way through the first five and six months.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 12:40 pm

Border Collie > Help! I'm a Border Collie Mix but what am I mixed with???
kai

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 6:01am PST 
It is so hard to tell with puppies but honestly he looks exactly like the litter of Border Collie/ACD's that belonged to the family I got Kai from. Their fathers BC had got into the yard with both the female ranch dogs and those pups (mostly BC with a little ACD on the moms side thrown in) I would love to know what yours looks like as it gets older too!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 5 6:01 am

Behavior & Training > 2 year old mix who has to stick to a routine/anxiety problems ????

kai

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 12:42pm PST 
Vader, Kai is very similar, if she does something a couple times in a row it becomes her new routine and can become problematic if we want to deviate, she also needs her 'kai time' uninterupted crate time. We let her have certain habits like crating herself at apropriate times and evening frisbee time from bed but i try to change up other stuff to keep her more flexible. I move her crate over a few inches a few days at a time so it is not too traumatic of a change, i reward her with treats for not being too rigid, for instance if she will come back out of her crate when i invite her for a bit more lap time or when she hangs out with the family instead of retreating to her spot under an end table. It seems to help her see flexibility as a good thing i think. But some things she is adament about, DH cereal time is also fetch time, etc but i think a bit of routine is good for her, she has a strong work ethic and needs some structure i think.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 4 2:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Help!! Please anyone w bully breeds.. Mine is destroying everything

kai

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 1:10pm PST 
I agree, crating (do we sound like a broken record?) I have a wonderfully behaved 2 year old that i still crate when i will be out more than an hour because she is just easily bored so will get into trouble if not. Some dogs never will be trustworthy enough to leave unattended. I have a 3 year old that was trustworthy at a year, but she is patient and not easily bored. It really depends on the dog. There is no harm to the. Crate if they are getting plenty of excercise and attention each day. It really is safer for the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 8:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Horrible Breed Ambassador

kai

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 1:05pm PST 
Ha, it is at home where mine are the biggest monsters. I have cured my sister of ever wanting a dog because kai is such a spaz when they come to visit. But out and about they use their manners well. I tell people that i earn that good behavior with more work than they can imagine.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 7:42 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Hubby Wants Another Dog
kai

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 4:07pm PST 
I would say first that unless you have raised a puppy you would be underestimating the work involved by at least 100 %, that being said, for our house a puppy was the only way a 3rd dog could be brought into our house BECAUSE of one of my dogs issues with other dogs. She likes puppies well enough and didnt need to immediately establish her spot on the totem pole with a puppy. She is tolerant of puppies but not so much of adult dogs entering her turf. I would say take some time to enjoy your dogs better behavior, as time goes on with success see about maybe fostering and see how that increase in chaos sits with you, or invite friends with dogs over to see how that goes. That would give you a chance to take small steps.
As far as a border collie goes, much like a puppy, you cannot fully appreciate the craziness of a bordercollie life until you have one and that is a semi well adjusted one, now what about the chance of ending up with a neurotic one. I would say venture into agility with your current dog and see how much you like it, that will give you achance to network with other potential BC owners and get a good handle on what you would be taking on.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 3:38 pm

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.