Postings by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN

GO!

(Page 1 of 81: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > New dog is food aggressive & snapping at my kids!
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '14 6:03pm PST 
First step: behaviourist, not trainer.

Second step: Buy this book
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Brutus, Tue 6:14 pm

Australian Shepherd > What is my Aussie mixed with?

The Monster

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '14 3:12pm PST 
He looks like he might have some Catahoula Leopard Dog in him. Look them up on the internet. They are a great dog, mellow like Aussies.

Hah. What dogs have you been looking at? Catahoulas are a hardcore working breed with energy for miles. If you found some mellow ones, lucky you. It is far from the norm.

E: Though, I wouldn't describe Aussies as mellow either. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Mon 3:12 pm

Australian Shepherd > What is my Aussie mixed with?

The Monster

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '14 5:37pm PST 
It's difficult to tell from one photo, but in my estimation he's a mix. What he's mixed with, precisely, is difficult to tell. Perhaps a short coated border collie? Short coats are normally dominant to long. Does he ever exhibit crouched down stalking behaviour?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Mon 3:12 pm

Small Dogs > Adult dog is waking up the puppy help!

The Monster

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '14 8:13pm PST 
Sounds like it's time to go back to crating. Or learn to live with less sleep. I know what I'd choose.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Louis, Jul 8 1:10 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog | blue pitbull | XXL Pitbull

The Monster

Barked: Wed Jul 2, '14 12:24pm PST 
It's "pit bull" not pitbull. Furthermore, pits are neither blue nor 100+ pounds.

Good luck with your possible future therapy dog!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 23 4:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Introducing the new dog

The Monster

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 4:31am PST 
Keep them separated 100% of the time and call a behaviourist. This is a serious issue that people on the internet cannot help you with.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Jun 17 4:31 am

Behavior & Training > Trouble finding socialization oppertunites! PLEASE HELP!

The Monster

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 4:37am PST 
I was going to say this when you first posted this thread but digressed. Now with your new muzzle thread, I figured I'd follow through.

I don't think you're doing the right thing in exposing your DA dog to other dogs -- especially dogs owned by people you don't know in uncontrolled environments. I think the advice of "socializing" him (which you're not really doing -- you're trying to desensitize more than anything I think) is either poor or being misconstrued. I think that you're setting your dog and yourself up for failure. My suspicions were confirmed when you described his reaction at the dog park in your muzzle thread.

If I were in your situation (I do own two somewhat reactive dogs) I would put in loads of work in improving your dog's focus around distractions and self control. Getting him to a point where he can meet dogs would be way, way, way down my list of priorities. I think that people place an undue amount of importance on your dog being friendly/accepting of strange dogs. It's okay if your dog doesn't like other dogs. Your goal should be for him to learn to trust you, accept their presence while focusing on you when around them. Then you return the favour and remove yourself and him from the uncomfortable situation. Some dogs are not dog park dogs and that's okay.

I think you're doing your dog a disservice by essentially throwing him into the deep end to see if he'll sink or swim. Did your behaviourist give you other tasks to work on? It's Your Choice? Look At That? Assumed Attention? Confidence building games?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Jun 16 10:41 am

Behavior & Training > Dangerous Dogs Indeed...

The Monster

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '14 6:54am PST 
The list was written based on statistics of dog bites/fatalities. I'm sure you've had many, many good interactions with many of the breeds on the list but the statistics are what they are. (Though the pit bull bite statistics will be inflated due to people having a hard time identifying pits/pit mixes.) Those breeds are more likely to bite/injure/kill a person. This is the reality. The only thing up for discussion is why the stats are what they are. My guess is that they're large, powerful, common breeds that attract non-dog-savvy owners.

Here's a list of all recorded fatal dog attacks in the USA: Fatal Dog Attacks in The United States - wikipedia

It makes for some interesting reading.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 15 9:55 am

Puppy Place > Please help - Possible Dog Size Issue

The Monster

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '14 6:36am PST 
I doubt you'll have much to worry about. Unless we're talking about a small toy breed (or giant breed) the size of the dog won't have much impact on its ability to keep up. Mini Aussies are renowned for being very, very high energy (for better or worse) and I would have every expectation that the dog will easily keep up with you on hikes, etc.

For what it's worth, most sport dogs are between 20 and 30 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Jun 20 3:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Interview Tomorrow-Need Training Buzzwords

The Monster

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 8:14am PST 
For instance, I train using a clicker, and mostly by capturing and shaping. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE when someone tells me to lure a behavior.

Contrary to popular belief, shaping is not the be-all-end-all of modern dog training and luring does indeed have its place. I'd say I lure ~50% of the time, and utilize structured shaping for the bulk of the remainder.

As for the OP, the manager wants to hear about the extent of your training knowledge. Providing you buzz words if you're not aware of the science behind it or the process through which to apply it does no one any good. To do it well you need a fair amount of real world experience, you need to read up on various strategies and you need some natural talent. Good luck with your interview!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Jun 6 1:46 pm

(Page 1 of 81: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.