GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Why Won't They Bawl?
Sukah

Shake it like a- polaroi picture!

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 8:47pm PST 
I've recently gotten two coonhound puppies. They're definitely pets and live inside, but we want to train them to hunt too. They get so excited chasing the coon drag around the yard and are getting pretty good at finding it when we hide it from them.

But we don't know ANY other coon hunters around here personally. And, after looking at several different websites and books about training hounds, they all say that one of the most important keys to training a hound how to tree a coon and then stay there and bark at it is to have another, already trained, dog. confused Which will be kinda hard to come by around here.

So, ladies and gentledogs of Dogster, is there another way to do this? I've tried putting the drag in a tree...the pups will stand on their hind legs and look up the tree, try to jump and get it, and then become uninterested and come back to me for help.

Any and all help would be appreciated. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 4:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pick me a breed
Sukah

Barked: Tue Oct 4, '11 8:04pm PST 
It seems, like people have already said this multiple times, but Brittany Spaniels and Collies sound like they would be perfect for you. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 5 4:06 am

Behavior & Training > Heel Help?

Sukah

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 3:38pm PST 
Watson (amazing name by the way)- Oh no, I'm not going to head into serious training until they mature a bit. They are going to be hunting dogs, though, so they need to know how to stay by my side.

Ash, that video really helped! Thanks a lot. Ash is a really cute Pom, too. big grin I love how when you take a step, he takes five little steps laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 18 4:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Heel Help?

Sukah

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:49am PST 
Rio and Chase are doing very well with their training. They've got "Sit" down and we're working on "Lay down" and "stay".

Now, one of the skills I want to teach them is how to walk by my side or "heel". I tried to do this with Sukah, but I have to admit I didn't try very hard and she really didn't catch on.
Now that I think about it, I have really no idea how to teach a dog to heel without a leash. I've read a few articles now, but I was wondering if anyone on Dogster add any good tips. I would also like to know what age would be appropiate to start teaching the pups to heel.smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Sep 18 4:45 pm

Behavior & Training > 2 dogs, 1 name

Sukah

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:39am PST 
All my dogs usually respond to "Nein" (is that how you spell it? It's German, so I don't know) or a sharp "Hey!" because they sound like a bark if you say it right.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 19 12:13 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm about to have a breakdown...
Sukah

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:36am PST 
Does Sage understand that her behavior is wrong? Dogs don't know the difference between a toy and pillow/blanket unless they are showed the difference. Did you make her realize that her behavior was bad? She might've just been bored, like you've said and thought "Wow, look at that thing right there (the blanket or pillow). I'm going to chew on it because it looks new, exciting, and fun."
She may have had a toy in there with her, but wouldn't you rather play with a brand new toy than something you play with everyday?
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Sep 27 6:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog breeds, and the people who love them.

Sukah

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:45am PST 
@Sophie-Great Dane+Giant Sweater= happy dance lol way to go

And I agree with everyone on the whole "My dogs a shelter Pitbull, so he's just so awesome. I also don't have to train him because he's my little second-chance angel." Yeah, whatever.
The one pair of Mastiff people I've met are pretty laid back people that are very attentive to there dogs. They're breeders, and when I say attentive, I mean they feed their dogs whole steaks and have giant insulated dog houses.

I myself, have always owned Mutts, except for one purebred choco Lab that is now living with my grandmother. puppy One good reason I like mutts is that they mix all the good qualities of already amazing breeds. Like take Sukah as an example: She's a springer spaniel/ sussexx spaniel/black lab mix. Now, Labs are very loyal, but (in my experience) they're always kinda big and goofy. But because of the sussexx spaniel, Sukah is smaller sized, plus she has a coat like silk. Having a little springer spaniel makes Sukah have extremely good birding skills. The lab makes her like to swim (she's a very skilled swimmer and swims very fast) and her hair isn't so long it needs grooming every week. She also appears to have very good eyesight and hearing, though her smellers a little weak.

That's why I like mutts. 1 dog w/ 2 good traits + 1 dog w/ 2 different good traits = 1 dog with 4 good traits.
This can also work with bad traits too...that's why you have to be careful with breeding. dog
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 12:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Male or Female? Will They Clash?!

Sukah

Barked: Fri Jul 15, '11 11:40am PST 
She hasn't just been with one dog...I'm confused.

What about Scooter...?

EDIT:
Nevermind. The post got cut off. Maybe I pressed something on the keyboard...that's happened to me before...Whatever. I'll finish it here.

So, when Sukah was about 4-5, we brought another dog in the house, Scooter, a little male chihuahua mix. They got along very well, but after a year we gave Scooter back to his original family (we were only keeping him until his old family could find a better, more dog-friendly place for him).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 10:30 am

Sukah

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 1:39pm PST 
We will definitely be getting a puppy.
When we got Sukah, she was just a pup, and we already had a male dog, named Oliver. But her passed away about a year afterwards. So Sukah is accustomed to living with other dogs.
I'm leaning more towards a male because, 1. We won't have to deal with him going into heat so we won't have to get him fixed so early and, 2. because he will be a purebred Wirehair, we may try to breed him before he gets fixed, and 3. Female/male seems to always be less stress free.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 10:30 am

Sukah

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 10:34am PST 
I already own one dog, Sukah of course. But I'm really looking into buying another dog. I found a German Wirehair breeder in Montana that i'm considering buying from.
But before I buy, I have a question:
Male or Female?

See, Sukah's a girl; she's fought with other dogs, girls and boys alike. But she's also gotten along with males and female.
Keep in mind, Sukah's 6 now and has been with us the whole time.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 10:30 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.