Postings by Ruby * Teddy * Rusty * Penny

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Raw Food Diet > Question about chicken leg quarters
Ruby * Teddy- * Rusty *- Penny

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 10:59pm PST 
If it were me, I would do chicken thigh meat. You could also do chicken hearts or gizzards if you can get them. As someone already mentioned, you could also do beef. Or, you could buy whole chickens and pull the meat off that if it is more economical.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the late response.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 14 1:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question about chicken leg quarters

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 9:38pm PST 
I agree the backs are a little to bony. Most often, I think the back is the raw meaty bone, then maybe a muscle meat meal is fed later, or added along side the back.

I've got smaller dogs and when I did do backs, I would cut the back in 1/2 or 1/4 it and always added additional meat.

Agree with the cornish game hen recommendation. Where are you located? Maybe a local raw-feeding group/co-op is in your area and you can source there. You can check out www.dogaware.com and look at raw feeding resources to find groups across the country.

I have fed my dogs chicken necks, duck necks, turkey neck segments, lamb necks. I think some people with smaller dogs have mentioned pork riblets?

What about wing drummettes for your dogs? Not sure if those would be too small for your dogs, but would be meatier than the backs, or the whole wing.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 1:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw diet too high in protein?

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 9:28pm PST 
You can look up all kinds of information on the USDA nutrient database.

When you look up the item, and get the results, click on "full report". You will then see bone percentages for that specific protein (duck, turkey, chicken, pork, etc)

I will point out, I have a friend who feeds raw to her dogs. One of her older dogs is in kidney failure. She modified the diet and added lots of root vegetables. You'd be suprised how much phosphorus is in some of the vegetables. Found the information on the USDA nutrient database, so it's a great tool when planning for dog diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 13 1:49 am

Raw Food Diet > "Pink slime": Should we persuade raw feeders against commercial ground beef?

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 9:17pm PST 
Been a while since I posted, but I would say Yes we should persuade raw feeders against commercial ground beef due to pink slime.

After I saw this article the other day, I made the decision to no longer buy any commercial beef for my family. I'm luck to belong to a co-op so I'm able to get good beef at a very good price.

Maybe a better solution would be to recommend buying a large piece of meat and grinding it themselves, or cutting up chunks and feeding that way.

I hate to say it, but it's one thing when it is for humans. We may not eat beef everyday, but sometimes if we are slow to rotate proteins, our pets may be. When I think about how this could impact them, makes me sick.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 21 10:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Grade 5 heart murmur - what are good foods for healthy heart function?

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:57am PST 
I'm so sorry.

You might want to check www.b-naturals.com. Click on Newsletters at the top. I think she (Lew Olson) has some suggestions for a heart healthy diet. I know her book contains a chapter on heart diets.

You might also want to check the K9Nutrition Yahoo group. I believe she responds to posts on that site.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Adam, Sep 1 11:52 am

Raw Food Diet > Bile vomits after switching back to raw and a question about organ grinds

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:47am PST 
As for the bile vomits, I don't know. Sometimes for mine, it could be they got a bigger piece of bone & it irritates their stomach and they end up vomiting the bone fragments & bile. Sometimes it's because they have a spieces identity crisis and think they are cows and grazing in the backyard. Also, have the issue if I change the frequency of feeding (sometimes I dog sit and the "guests" eat 2X a day, if I feed mine on the same schedule, then switch back to 1X day, I may get bile vomit).

As for the organ blend, this is how I would approach. Assuming you are using the beef organ grind. 1lb (16 oz), contains 7 equal parts of organ. I would divide the 16 oz by 7, giving a total of approx 2.66 oz of each organ. I, pesonally, would consider the liver, kidney & lungs organ meat. So, if I take the 2.66 * 3, I end up with approx 8 oz of organ meat in the pound of ground. So, if your goal is to feed 12 oz of organ meat per week, I would feed 1.5 lb of this grind per week to get the 12oz in.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Aug 24 11:35 am

Raw Food Diet > Doesn't like liver?

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:32am PST 
I've got one who is the same exact way. Won't eat beef liver. I've tried the different tricks and she'll just spit it out. If I use a food that contains beef liver, even if I've ground it up and mixed in to the meat, she won't eat it. I've tried searing with butter/garlic - NOPE... Very frustrating, especially when I'm trying to give organ. Bad mom here - I just open her mouth, pop in the liver and make her swallow it.

She will eat chicken livers, cut into very small pieces & mixed into other food, so at least I have that option.

Personally, this is the most frustrating part of feeding raw for me. Getting the organ meat in.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 24 4:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Does Anyone Feed Prather Ranch Raw?

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:21am PST 
I'm late responding to this.

I belong SFRAW, and have tried the Prather Ranch pet food. My understanding it is contains beef trim, beef heart & beef spleen. We have a choice of a product with bone meal and no bone.

I personally have used the no bone option. My dogs like it. I've got one who is VERY picky when it comes to organ meat, especially beef. She will pick little (and I mean little) pieces out, or won't eat anything with organ mixed in. She will eat this. I like that we get it in 1 lb packs, so it is easy for me to split up with my 4.

If you have access to Marin Sun Farms, they also carry a pet food product. I think it's a mix of trim, heart, liver, kidney. My "non-organ" eater won't touch this - even if I try to trick her by lightly searing it, adding some garlic, etc... she just won't touch it. So for us, I'm really happy we have access to the Prather.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Salmon

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 8:13am PST 
There is a company in San Francisco, EcoPawz, that has some information regarding salmon poisioning.

Here's a link to their FAQs. 3rd question down you will find a brief explanation: http://www.ecopawz.com/Home/faq
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ruby * Teddy * Rusty * Penny, Jul 25 8:13 am

Raw Food Diet > raw diet causing over hydration???

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 8:00am PST 
One of my girls (she's 8) has occasional bouts of incontinence. I've had her checked for infection, all clear. We think it's just an age thing. Also, apparently, sometimes it can be associated with spayed females - something to do with hormones? She has more of an issue when she is sleeping soundly. She doesn't do it when she's alert. I've tried her on cornsilk but didn't really see a difference. I found with her, once she gets up in the morning, I take her straight out to go potty. Once I recognized this, I know that she needs to take care of her busines before we go to bed, take a nap, or before I crate them if I'm going out.

Regarding Primal, I used to feed the grind (no added items, just the meat/bone/organ). I'd thaw out a 5lb roll and feed over a few days. I found there was LOTS of water remaining in the bag towards the last day, to the point that it looked soupy. Sometimes the dogs would act like they were starving immediately after I fed them. Because of this, I moved away from Primal to more whole pieces and home ground foods. So maybe you are on to something there.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Brody, Jul 25 8:33 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.