Postings by Freya

GO!

White Shepherd Dog > white dogs & white snow!

Freya

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 5:39pm PST 
Freya LOVES snow. She loves to run in it, eat it, lay on it, roll in it, etc. She doesn't become invisible, though. She has a strawberry blonde streak running down the middle of her back, so she's not quite the pure white color of the snow.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 27 8:24 am

Dogs & Travel > Ride a bike with a dog
Freya

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 2:12pm PST 
How funny, I just took both dogs for a long bike ride this morning. First one in a while. We don't use an attachment, I just loop the leash around my waist and clip it to the harness the dog wears. My bike is pretty heavy (Old Schwinn Cruiser with fat tires and wide handlebars!) and as long as I take them one at a time, the dogs can't pull me off the bike. (Never tried to take them both at the same time, but it doesn't seem like a good idea with my two) They are already trained to run on the right side of the bike and not to get in front of the front wheel of the bike.

Ribby was running at top speed for a couple of blocks. She always gets so excited for biking time! She is going to be nine next month and I can't tell you how great it is to see her running at top speed, just enjoying herself to the fullest! She did get tired eventually and we did a slow trot for the last 15 minutes or so. Now she's konked out on the floor.

Freya wears both the harness attached to the leash around my waist and a collar with a leash in my hand. She is the bigger, stronger, and more reactive dog, but she still can't pull me off the bike, and once she gets good and tired, she just doesn't care about other animals as much. When you are in motion, it takes a lot less pressure on the leash to get your dog's attention or to stop their forward motion. She is 85 pounds and I'm about 125, but she can't pull me off the bike. I use a second leash with her just because she responds better to a tug on her collar than a tug on the harness. She needs a good long run, a walk around the block isn't going to cut it for either of my dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Daegan, Jan 24 6:01 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > White German Shepherds, Any info?

Freya

Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 3:29pm PST 
Not all of us are shy or timid. I am pretty bold, but I have a sensitive side. I get creeped out by out-of-the-ordinary things, moreso than my housemate Ribby, a black/tan GSD. I am definately a whole other level of protectiveness, though. I am the one with the deep bark at the door, and I like to check people out before I make friends. Ribby would let anyone do anything, and everyone is her friend. If someone is crossing the line I won't bite them but my bark/growl is pretty intimidating. I am often the one that gets chosen for late-night walks. Not only am I easier to see (I almost glow in the dark!), but if someone were to try to sneak up on my owner or try something funny the whole neighborhood would know about it!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Jan 1 11:08 am

White Shepherd Dog > any white sheps out there?

Freya

Barked: Mon Dec 7, '09 7:25pm PST 
I'm Freya. I'm a purebred White German Shepherd from Pierre's Sunshine Shepherds. My dad was a huge White Shepherd, my mom was black and silver.

I am 7 years old, about 80 pounds, 26 inches tall. I live with a rescue Shepherd who is black and tan. And a white cat with bi-colored eyes. I love to play Frisbee. And I love to run. And I love to bark. I love having my teeth brushed. I also get muddy and shed hair everywhere.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Queen Kora Shepard, Nov 19 8:01 am

Choosing the Right Dog > White German Shepherds, Any info?

Freya

Barked: Mon Dec 7, '09 6:15pm PST 
GSDs and white GSDs have the same problems, same strengths and quirks. Each one is an individual, just like any other breed of dog. Research your breeder and meet the parent dogs if you're getting a puppy, or spend time with a rescue WGSD, and make sure you're reeeaallly ready for a lot of dog and a lot of white dog hair.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Jan 1 11:08 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.