GO!

(Page 1 of 38: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Bailee has Lyme Disease...
Bailee

Here\'s my Wubba- - now play with- me!!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:15am PST 
I apologize if a similar thread exists on the forum already, I was not able to find one.

Bailee was diagnosed with Lyme a month ago thanks to our very thorough vet - we took her in because after running her usual laps around the yard she wouldn't put any weight on her back right leg for two days. We were afraid it was a torn ACL since she's had an ACL strain in that leg before. The vet said the trouble appeared to be in her ankle instead and suggested a lyme (blood) test, which came back positive. She just finished the 30 days of doxycycline and was on an anti-inflammatory for 10 days and then again for about a week (with a one-week break) because she wasn't putting the full weight on that leg again.

My question is what should we expect from here on out? She has a suppressed immune system so I'm concerned that it will not be completely gone after the 30 days of antibiotics, but I'm assuming that when we go back in for her check up (in the next week) they will test her again. I've read too many stories online at this point (and subsequently started to panic) so now I'm just looking for information from people on this site as to what their experiences have been.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 9:21 am

Behavior & Training > Resource Guarding and How to Deal With It
Bailee

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 11:42am PST 
Thanks...I was thinking about the comments I've seen on here before about not punishing a dog for growling, that's why I'm seeking advice on what to do with this.

We did do the wrong thing by taking the toy from her, so we'll both have to work on remembering how to handle that. She hasn't been growly with us since that one day, and never with a treat or food or anything else for that matter. She also didn't bare her teeth at us that day. Except for that one incident we have always been able to take anything from her, we specifically worked on that and continue to reinforce it - the day with her wubba was just weird, at least with how she reacted with us. She does have a good "leave it" normally.

With the water bowl yesterday my husband did correct her and told her "no" for the teeth baring/growling thing, that was when she was being snotty and the dog that she was acting that way with wasn't even aware of her water bowl being nearby. I then redirected her to a different area of the park, further away from the water bowl, but I couldn't distract her for the life of me, she kept intently watching the bowl and the dogs around it. After a few minutes of unsuccessfully trying to distract her I put the water bowl on the table and we walked up the hill and completely away from the area where the tables and other dogs were.

We want to take a ball with us to the park next time but I don't want her to overreact if another dog wants it - not that I think she should roll over and give it up, but I also don't want her starting a fight. I will say that from what we saw yesterday there were a lot of well behaved dogs and a few little tussles broke out but all of the owners were close by and paying reasonable attention to their dogs. I would guess there were about 25 dogs in total, and Bailee favors dogs that are smaller than her - labs freak her out a bit, and there were a lot of them there. I can say for certain that we didn't do a good enough job of getting her around other dogs and socializing her as a pup. Won't make that mistake again!

Again, thanks for the insight...we will be working on this tonight when I get home from work!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 3:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Resource Guarding and How to Deal With It

Bailee

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 7:46am PST 
I know this topic has been covered plenty of times in the past but I feel like Bailee's issue is a bit unusual - perhaps I'm just kidding myself! Sorry this is rather long...

Some background: Bailee is 3, and we have an 8 or 9-year old AmStaff who has been around since we brought Bailee home (at 14 weeks). They get along fine, or at least they always have in the past. I bought Bailee a new Wubba (the Kong toy) a couple of weeks ago, it's her favorite even though she destroys them relatively quickly. The last one she got was at Christmas, and she was fine with it - didn't care who took it, what was done with it, etc. The AmStaff happens to only like tennis balls, ropes, and nylabones, so he doesn't even mess with her wubba. Anyway, Bailee had her wubba and was chewing intently on it...the other dog happened to walk past - not even showing a passing interest in her toy - and she growled at him. My husband went to reach for the wubba and she growled at him. We corrected her for that, obviously, but she did it again...and was corrected again.

Fast forward a day or two, and we're outside after their walk and they are chewing on bones. The other dog stands up to go out further in to the yard, walks past Bailee, and she growls and bares her teeth at him.

A couple of weeks go by, and yesterday we take her to the first dog park she's ever been to. Lots of other dogs, she's playing, sniffing, running, everything's good - she even got in the water a little bit. We have a portable dog bowl on the ground, under the picnic table we're sitting at, because the AmStaff hates water and would rather die of thirst than go near the lake to get a drink. Bailee's fine for a while, but then she sees another dog go to the water bowl and get a drink...after that she stayed very close to the water bowl, intently watching any dog that even came close to it, even when they weren't interested in the bowl, and she was quick to show her teeth to any dog that got close to the bowl, even if they didn't realize it was there. I picked the water bowl up and put it on the table where she couldn't see it, but she was still being a nut about it. We packed up and headed to the other section to let her run in the field and try to break her focus on the bowl, which she wouldn't even drink out of anyway. We left shortly after. Last night after dinner my husband gets two treats out and puts them on the table, then tries to play rope with the dogs...Bailee wants none of it, can't get her focus off of the treats, and any time the other dog even walked in the general direction of the table where the treats where she tried to keep him away and did her new growling/teeth baring thing.

Where did this behavior come from, and what do we do about it? Up until recently she was so laid back about everything nothing phased her - we weren't even aware she was capable of growling LOL
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 3:08 pm

Dog Health > Nosebleed, Blood in Stool, E-Vet Had No Answers??

Bailee

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 3:57pm PST 
Unfortunately Woody passed away this afternoon. My friend was not able to find out what was wrong with him. Rest in Peace, Woody. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 5:18am PST 
Hi Jax, Woody has been eating a little bit each day and he continues to drink just as he normally would. He grumbled at being picked up on Saturday and Sunday (which I'm told is more his style - he doesn't like to be carried), and he half-heartedly barked at someone passing by the house, so my friend is hopeful that he's starting to feel more like his normal self. Other than that there really haven't been any changes. Like I told my friend, each step forward is a good thing, even if they're really small steps...it certainly beats him getting worse!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 7:24pm PST 
He said the e-vet did test for poisons and everything came back negative. He made some rice to see if he would eat that and he said Woody ate about three bites then laid back down.

ETA: The vet also said his glucose was high but his blood counts were good.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 6:20pm PST 
Okay he doesn't feed his dogs Iams and only one dog is sick even though they eat the same food, so that doesn't seem to be the likely cause. He said they did an x-ray and ultrasound. The vet didn't find any signs of internal bleeding. He said the nosebleed is more like a bloody discharge.

The e-vet said to take him to his normal vet if he doesn't improve in 2 days, which would be tomorrow. The vet gave him Vitamin K to help with clotting, when he pushed on the dog's gums they were bleeding a little bit. I'm guessing that the vet thinks it's some sort of clotting problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 5:49pm PST 
I doubt an MRI was done since the bill was "only" $600. He said it was mostly blood work and he thinks the vet did a tick urine test? I am not sure what he feeds, I'll ask that too! I'm just waiting for him to come back online.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 5:39pm PST 
I was thinking the same thing, Jax - poison of some kind. He just ran to the store so I'll ask him when he comes back. I live in PA and he lives in Indiana so I can't see the dog myself. I've been talking to him about it online.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

Bailee

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 5:32pm PST 
My friend has a 5 year old puggle who has been sick for three days. Today is the second day that the poor little guy has had a nosebleed, and he has blood in his stools. My friend took him to the e-vet last night - $600 and 10 tests later they still don't know what's wrong with him. My friend said normally he's very energetic but he's very lethargic now and is barely eating. He did say he has been drinking like normal though. The only thing the e-vet said is that he could be diabetic.

He lives alone and he said his dogs are always left inside the house while he's at work. None of his other dogs are sick.

Does anyone have any ideas what could possibly be wrong with his dog, or maybe anything he can do to help him? He's afraid that his dog is going to die.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 5:12 pm

(Page 1 of 38: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.